U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best of the four in Cincy
Mt. Airy 1 8.33%
French Park/Deer Park Area 3 25.00%
Blue Ash 3 25.00%
Hyde Park 9 75.00%
Norwood 3 25.00%
Farifax 1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,895 times

Advertisements

I'm not a cyclist and haven't followed the thread carefully. But did anyone mention Northside? It's conveniently located to Mt. Airy Forest and certainly should be bikeable to UC, in fact pretty easy for an experienced/committed rider. Whatever you think of the tone of Brill's posting, he is correct that there are much better choices than Deer Park as a place to live and bike to and from UC. Just because someone CAN do it doesn't mean they would or should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 11:33 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
But did anyone mention Northside?
Northside is a very good recommendation.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:24 PM

Here's a few links that may be helpful on bicycling in Cincinnati:

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/bikes/b...ortation-plan/

Bicycle Transportation Program - Bikes

Cincinnati becomes first Ohio city to install green bike lanes — UrbanCincy

City officials working to get Central Parkway back on [cycle] track — UrbanCincy

Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,520,060 times
Honestly, you should forget most of the "advice" in this thread and take a hard look at Northside. It has Mt. Airy Forest right next door (the largest natural area in the city). It is a very doable cycling trip to UC campus.

"I really like places with non-chain stores and restaurants and organic or farmers markets." This has "Northside" written all over it.

It also has one of the most thriving cycling cultures of any neighborhood in the city.

Over-the-Rhine is another possibility, as it's heavy on the non-chain stores and has Findlay Market in it. It's not so close to a natural environment, though, given its location right next to Downtown. And the cycle to campus would be 100% hill, which may be unpleasant. Also you'd have to cycle through less-safe areas to get up to campus.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:24 PM

26 posts, read 70,182 times
Thank you all for the recommendations, I may just have to take a look at Northside now. Tom I wasn't including you in that remark. I think it probably does make sene to find something closer to Mt. Airy. I also found a crime map that didn't seem to block off all of Cincinnati or Columbus in a big clump on Trulia.

I actually don't think I even considered Northside which seems like a good place to start researching.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Well, I take it you are talking to me as well as the OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedstrong15 View Post
Tom I wasn't including you in that remark.
I know. I was referring to you as the OP, a.k.a - Original Poster.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:57 PM

Be careful in your search and terminology because Mt. Airy is a neighborhood which probably no one would recommend, and Mt. Airy Forest is a park/nature preserve.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
It is a very doable cycling trip to UC campus.
Bicycling up Ludlow Ave to UC is an easy trek. It's not a steep hill at all, though is a longer one. Northside also puts you right by Central Parkway if you want to cycle downtown. Hill free, and a bike lane. What's not to like?

Old 01-23-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Bicycling up Ludlow Ave to UC is an easy trek. It's not a steep hill at all, though is a longer one. Northside also puts you right by Central Parkway if you want to cycle downtown. Hill free, and a bike lane. What's not to like?
I made an account here, in large part, because the near-omission of Northside in this thread was driving me crazy. (I did notice Sarah Perry mentioned it on the 3rd page, and you seconded.)

Biking from Northside to Ludlow & Clifton is cake for anyone with a little muscle on their legs, though climbing Clifton Ave. is a bit more difficult. However, for someone used to cycling on hills it's not a problem. Even for someone not used to it, if you're in okay shape you could work up to it in a short time. If you plan to be a cyclist in Cincinnati, this is probably the minimum tolerance level for hills you will need to satisfy your mobility requirements.

And, yes, Central Parkway makes Downtown (and OTR) very accessible!

Old 01-23-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
I made an account here, in large part, because the near-omission of Northside in this thread was driving me crazy. (I did notice Sarah Perry mentioned it on the 3rd page, and you seconded.)
I was trying to stay somewhat within the limits of the choices in the poll. Won't do that again.

Heh...not to mention Northside Tavern is the shizz....I have a guilty pleasure there too --- Hamilton Bar. Biggest dive I've been to in Cincinnati!! Love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati