U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best of the four in Cincy
Mt. Airy 1 8.33%
French Park/Deer Park Area 3 25.00%
Blue Ash 3 25.00%
Hyde Park 9 75.00%
Norwood 3 25.00%
Farifax 1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 05:11 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,141,939 times

Advertisements

The difference between Avondale and St. Clair in Cleveland is that on St. Clair, you can strike up a conversation about Bone Thugs N Harmony and make a perp completely forget that he was about to rob you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 06:32 PM

577 posts, read 1,004,547 times
Great links Tom. It seems that there are some who haven't been paying attention to what the city has been doing for cyclists. A lot more bike lanes have been put into place - Riverside was once a 4-lane road and now several miles have been reduced to 2 lanes for traffic and bike lanes in either direction. There are green lanes as Tom mentioned and where there aren't bike lanes, bike sharrows have been added. The city has also started placing markings to show a cyclist where to stop in order to trigger a green light. Not only are the streets becoming more bike friendly but there are a number of paved trails - Lunken, the Lunken-Armleder link, the Miami-Loveland bike trail, Ohio River trail, and still active discussions for the Wasson Way trail.

I am by no means in great shape and I have scaled some of the hills around the city a time or two. The big thing to remember (at least for me) is to know what gear to put it in and when to do it. When I got on a bike for the first time since a teen, I slipped the chain many times. Practice makes perfect!

Here are a few more links:

Queen City Bike

Cincinnati Cycle Club | Facebook

Cincinnati - Bike and Park

I have been thinking about creating another thread just for cycling in and around the city. All in favor say, "aye".

Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,365,633 times
OP....
If you are contemplating a regular regime of cycling to UC, I did not mean to berate you. I simply wanted to point out this is not Cleveland or San Diego. San Diego is a mild climate virtually year round. This is not. Today is a high of 24 F and a low of 14 F. With the wind it is just plain cold.

The recommendations of Northside should be very valid. You will be cycling across the Mill Creek valley basin to get to UC, but it is doable. Sorry if I offended you. Just trying to make you aware of the realities of Cincinnati.

You started off expressing concerns about the safety of Cincinnati. Yes there are areas you want to avoid. But the mjority of Cincinnati is a very nice place to live.

I would still stay as close to UC as I could afford. It ie a safe neighborhood and you can reduce your mental stress. During the week walk to classs. On the weekends take that bike and explore Cincinnati. There is much to see and do

But during the week, as a student, stay as close to UC as you can get. I don't feel I am being condescending when I say even Norwood or Northside will present hassles you do not need. School is enough to contend with, you do not need to complicate it.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,844 times
Looking up by campus is surely worthwhile. I don't know if they have farmer's markets up there. I suspect not. The transient nature of the student population means community assets are not at the forefront, as they are in Clifton and especially Northside. (You will be confused by this eventually, but Clifton is not where campus is, despite people abusing the name. It's down by Ludlow Ave.) TomJones123 lives by campus, so he should be able to give you the lowdown on that neighborhood info.

I still think Northside is better for you. Northside has frequent buses that go straight to campus. (And, worth noting, all city buses have bike racks on the front.) If you plan to go to campus parties often, then busing home might be a problem late at night. Biking home would be downhill, taking maybe 15 minutes. Likely less. That's the only sort of hassle I can envision.

Northside has a year-round farmers market: https://www.facebook.com/groups/51196578030/
It has a bike co-op, a thriving local business community including two record stores, vegetarian/vegan friendly/local-sourced restaurants, trendy bars, gay bars, dive bars, an independent pharmacy, art galleries, ... I can't think of everything. It has a lot. And it will soon have a bike shop: https://www.facebook.com/pages/SPUN-...60531734070037

Campus area (CUF) has a lot of independently owned things as well. I am trying to think of what it doesn't have that Northside has. A strong community feel and DIY ethic are probably the main things. Check them both out.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:35 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Northside is a very good recommendation.
Surprised I said something "positive?"

Old 01-26-2013, 06:37 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,829,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Surprised I said something "positive?"
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati