U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best of the four in Cincy
Mt. Airy 1 8.33%
French Park/Deer Park Area 3 25.00%
Blue Ash 3 25.00%
Hyde Park 9 75.00%
Norwood 3 25.00%
Farifax 1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:29 PM

26 posts, read 70,294 times

Advertisements

Hello there, I've seen a lot of threads on the crime in Cincy. But I'm from Cleveland, I'm in Sunny San Diego right now because it's where my last duty station was. I would never live in areas like East Cleveland, or Euclid. I was primarily from South Euclid and Lyndhurst. I'm used to visiting more dingy areas, but living in slightly safer cleaner areas. I now live in San Diego, and when I looked at the City-Data crime maps I was shocked to see that Cincy had so much red, and San Diego more Orange and Yellow. Made me kinda scared to go to UC, because I'd like to ride my bike to and from school. But I can't tell if people that are saying it's full of crime would also find the burbs close to Cleveland Scary, which . . . I don't. I'm cool with a mixed neighbor hood, that doesn't bother me, my boyfriend of 3 years is Hispanic actually.

I really like places with non-chain stores and restaurants and organic or farmers markets. I don't like the smell of urine in the streets (uber sensative nose) and won't rent in an area that has hobos like to pee on the car and your driveway. But then again, San Diego has tons of beggars around so I'm kinda of used to seeing them, and I have no problem ignoring them.

I guess what I want know is are there any areas like this? And which areas are scarey to some, but really have no reason to strike fear for anyone who isn't driving an SUV and going to Costco and dressed in LL. Bean or Banana Republic? I'm in the 500-700 dollar range for an appartment as we are getting the GI Bill and disability pay.

Currently I am looking near french park and deer park, but would like to be near a large park like mount airy or a river like the little miami as I'm an outdoor persona nd like to hike and kayak, but the map makes it look like a hell hole. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 07:16 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,383,973 times
Let's try to clarify a few things. Just looking at a map can give you a warped view. Deer Park is basically a blue collar town. Nothing wrong with it. But if you are still thinking about UC, it is a drive and not a good bus ride.
French Park is a very nice park in an upscale, primarily jewish neighborhood, Amberley Village, close to Deer Park. But they are night and day difference. One is upscale the other is not. they may be side by side but that it where it ends.

If you are from Cleveland, the main difference you will find is Cleveland is rather flat and Cincinnati is hilly as all get out due to the river. The hills close to downtown Cincinnati dictate just about everything when it comes to neighborhood boundaries, ethnic boundaries, the whole nine yards. A simple inquiry is not likely to get you a complete response. You have to work at it harder in Cincinnati.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 PM

7,907 posts, read 6,839,868 times
Don't be afraid of UC. I've been down there many times to visit friends and my brother when he went there. You'll find lots of other bikers. It's not like East Cleveland or Euclid (though Euclid, in my opinion, really isn't that horrible). Think more along the lines of campus area around Ohio State, if that means anything to you. Just be smart. I don't really see any real difference in crime between Cincinnati and Cleveland as far as I can see. There are a ton of things, easy simple things, you can do that cut down on your chances of being a victim of a crime. For example, I don't know how many people I know who leave laptops, ipads, etc in their car over night and wake up to find their window smashed and stolen. Just take care of your stuff, use common sense, and everything will be ok.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:47 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,834,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedstrong15 View Post
Any suggestions?
Ya, quit looking at the map.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Ya, quit looking at the map.
Haha yes!

Old 01-19-2013, 12:43 PM

26 posts, read 70,294 times
Well I'm used to hills I live in San Diego right now. I'm actually moving back to Ohio to be closer to my mother on the East coast and Ohio is the only place I know of that will give me immediate residency for tuition purposes. But anywho the hills hear are mountains. Which it will be a relief moving somewhere with just hills. I guess what I want to know is do any of the neighborhoods in Vincy fit the description of the type of place I mentioned being interested in? Im not particularly fond of suburban hell where every store is a chain. Like neighborhoods with unique homes, and I guess I never thought to ask this but should since my Partner is hunduranio . . . Is there any place I should stay away from that doesn't particularly like Hispanics? I know there were some bad places for blacks to walk like down Murray hill, and bad places for white chicks to walk like SinClair in Cleveland. Just wondered of y'all had those places too.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:14 PM

To stay within reasonable distance of UC and cost, you are not going to find a large park, particularly with water attractions. Mt Airy Forest is a large park, but as its name implies it is all woods, trails, and hills.

I recommend you consider Norwood. It is reasonably close to UC, providing we are talking a motorcycle not a bicycle. It is a separate city completely surrounded by Cincinnati. You may be more likely to find housing there in your range than immediately around UC where they tend to bump the rates (the old gouge factor).

For kayaking, the Little Miami Historic Scenic River east of Cincinnati is a great place as is the Whitewater River to the west near the Indiana border. I wouldn't be very concerned about criminal activity at either location. You only problem is getting there.

BTW, my son works as a civil engineer for the Hamilton Co. Park District and is currently working on extending the Little Miami Bike Trail from Milford along the Little Miami to the Ohio and than along the Ohio all the way to downtown. If the park district can fund it internally it will happen. They also pretty well do what their trustees want and can fund, not being directly connected to the county government.

Last edited by kjbrill; 01-19-2013 at 02:42 PM..

Old 01-19-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedstrong15 View Post
Well I'm used to hills I live in San Diego right now. I'm actually moving back to Ohio to be closer to my mother on the East coast and Ohio is the only place I know of that will give me immediate residency for tuition purposes. But anywho the hills hear are mountains. Which it will be a relief moving somewhere with just hills. I guess what I want to know is do any of the neighborhoods in Vincy fit the description of the type of place I mentioned being interested in? Im not particularly fond of suburban hell where every store is a chain. Like neighborhoods with unique homes, and I guess I never thought to ask this but should since my Partner is hunduranio . . . Is there any place I should stay away from that doesn't particularly like Hispanics? I know there were some bad places for blacks to walk like down Murray hill, and bad places for white chicks to walk like SinClair in Cleveland. Just wondered of y'all had those places too.
Ok now I'm doubting your Cleveland credibility. Murray Hill back in the day was a dangerous place for black folks. Now there are all kinds of people living in Little Italy, definitely not as homogenous ever since the Italians got scared and fled to places like Willoughby. Also, I think you're thinking of "St. Clair" not "SinClair." St. Clair isn't only bad for white women, it's just not a nice area in general. There is no real conceivable reason that someone would just kinda stumble into St. Clair and not realize it.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:20 PM

864 posts, read 1,198,278 times
Most of Cincy is far from being a "hell hole."

I recommend you look at Clifton Gaslight District to be near Burnett Woods, and also Mount Lookout and Hyde Park so you are near Ault Park.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Most of Cincy is far from being a "hell hole."

I recommend you look at Clifton Gaslight District to be near Burnett Woods, and also Mount Lookout and Hyde Park so you are near Ault Park.
I certainly concur Cincy is no Hell Hole. The recommended locations are very nice, providing you can find accommodations within your budget. Frankly, I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati