Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 12:52 PM

16 posts, read 23,821 times

Advertisements

We are transferring to Ohio the end of Jan or so. My husband's job will be E of Fairfield. I would love your input. We like the feel Old town Main St area of Milford or any old town similar like Loveland. We're not 'burb's oriented and like to know our neighbors. Some where half way in distance between Fairfield and Milford.

1. To be smart we'll need to find something reasonable (not apartment) to rent for a year. We know nothing about areas except for my cousin in Milford.
2. No kids, school dists only matter "taxwise" when we do purchase.
3. Nice areas for adults in early '50's.

My father was raised in Troy, where I have some family left. I'm saying that to tell you that I was raised on Ohio values though never lived there. We are gladly leaving SE Texas. I neither comprehend or appreciate southern sensibilities and hope to feel at home in Ohio and get to know many new wonderful people!

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 01:27 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
I doubt you are going to get much differences in response to this post than what you already posted in the Milford thread.

You says hubby's job is E of Fairfield. Where exactly is that? May Help with advice.

The most reasonable route to either Milford or Loveland from Fairfield is via I-275, though either actual town is some distance from the highway. So it depends onthe location within the town.

Have you considered Sharonville? It is sure a lot closer to Fairfield. There is some semblance of a downtown, meager as it might be.

Also consider Beckett Ridge. It has a wide range of housing, some of which are rental condos, much nicer than the average apartment. Certainly close enough to Fairfield for a nice commute. It doesn't have a downtown, but it wraps around the golf course development, nice walking trails, etc. And just drop down off the ridge and you are at Union Centre Blvd. plus a whole host of other shopping.

Last edited by kjbrill; 01-19-2013 at 01:48 PM..

Old 01-19-2013, 07:30 PM

Just some additional comments. Single family rentals are not that popular in Cincinnati. The conservative people hereabouts prefer to buy rather than rent. Tons of apartment complexes, but you expressed that was not your desire.

You might want to consider looking west from Fairfield. There is a small area called Ross. It is one of those Census Designated Places, meaning it is not incorporated but just a recognized part of a township in Butler Co. I frankly don't know if it even has a business district. I just know it has existed out there for eons, back to when I was a kid (and I am 73). It must be a comfortable commute from Fairfield. I may be wrong, but in my early 50s I would be looking for a nice area with a history if it exists.

But to rent for a year and then say you want to definitely be neighborly may not be realistic. The idea of a quaint downtown where everyone knows everyone is few and far between. Even the more homey appearing downtowns such as Milford and Loveland have a high percentage of shops which are new to the environs.

I suggest you consider living in an environment such as West Chester, Liberty Township, or Mason which have first class community centers, particularly those which cater to older people. You can be a member at a reasonable rate, and they have the environment and activities where you can meet people in your age group. Much more likely to result in personal contacts with people you relate to than the luck of the draw with neighbors. The idea of leaning over the fence with the neighbors is nice, but maybe a little less than realistic today. I do lean over the fence with three of my neighbors who have been here a long time, but frankly the others I don't even know the names of the people who live there.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:06 PM

224 posts, read 376,664 times
Hi again jewelbaby. I reread the Milford thread, and I think kjbrill is right - pretty much all the towns convenient to your target area that might work for you have been covered already. I will mention one other - Glendale has a small cluster of "downtown" buildings and businesses including the Bluebird Bakery, a neat eat-in bakery. It also has some gorgeous housing. Age-wise you would fit in there. But it is pricey, the business district is limited to a handful of businesses, and I don't know whether you could find a rental now, or an affordable house to buy later. But I love to take walks there and look at the cool old houses.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SW Ohio View Post
Hi again jewelbaby. I reread the Milford thread, and I think kjbrill is right - pretty much all the towns convenient to your target area that might work for you have been covered already. I will mention one other - Glendale has a small cluster of "downtown" buildings and businesses including the Bluebird Bakery, a neat eat-in bakery. It also has some gorgeous housing. Age-wise you would fit in there. But it is pricey, the business district is limited to a handful of businesses, and I don't know whether you could find a rental now, or an affordable house to buy later. But I love to take walks there and look at the cool old houses.
I agree Glendale is a pleasant area, though not overly large. I thought of mentioning it but refrained due to the price points. When I was a young boy we had relatives in Glendale. This was pre-Tri-County, Pre-I-275, pre-I-75, just about pre-everything. We used to take the old Glendal-Milford Rd from the east side to get there. I think back then they probably took Vine Street to get downtown, that must have been a trip. I remember the downtown area being a very tranquil place, which it still is. My relatives lived on the western fringes of actual Glendale and had chicken coups and a commercial purebred dalmation dog kennel on their property, about 10 acres. And my great aunt made the best homemade chicken and dumplings you ever tasted. I guess they were the poor trash of the area. Glendale is still a lovely place to live, providing you can find something in your price range.

I just will comment again, small town USA where everyone knows everyone is becoming less and less available. Towns like Lebanon, Loveland, and Milford retain some of the facade of the small town atmosphere, but on close inspection many of those storefronts are occupied by antique and specialty boutique shops instead of the butcher, the baker, and the blacksmith. Close relationships with neighbors are not that easily formed, providing you can actually get close enough to downtown to walk.

So again, I recommend consider areas which do not have the old downtown atmosphere you are seeking, but do have very large, modern, and multi-faceted community centers. West Chester, Liberty Township, and Mason all have these. My wife spends quite a bit of time at the Mason Community Center and has developed a circle of people in her age group she has become friends with. The center has a simple soup and salad type cafe they often have lunch in. They also go out for luncheon, have joined various craft classes around town, and have begun to visit each other's houses. This has been a much easier method of encountering people with like interests. If you are a workout person you will meet people in the exercise rooms. If you prefer quiet recreation, the bridge card playing area may be for you. The important part is it is large enough and varied enough to provide something you relate to, and the people you encounter will relate to you.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:58 AM

Thank you KJ, I am new to this. Should I have just started the new thread? Or stayed on Milford?

The work address is 4260 Port Union Rd, Ste 300, Fairfield, OH 45011-9713 W of Fairfield. Easy access to Milford is important because we want to be close to my wonderful cousin.

I am thinking about the renting for a year because it will take a year to get to know the areas and get educated. Which you are all doing for me now! And yes we need to know how to meet people. I have always lived in older areas and known my neighbors. The ideal to be in some what close proximity to old down towns, coffee houses, shop local etc. I am here for you all to teach me the "reality" of how to achieve something of that sort. The community center sounds nice. Since I do computer work at home - I need to get out and know where to go to meet people.

We are homeowners, but don't want to buy something too fast and not be happy with the area. We are conservative and live small. Our present house is 1400 sq ft. and is the largest we've had.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:18 AM

We do want to buy. The company will initially put us into an extended stay hotel for a month.

1. Next we need to rent "something" for a home base while we check out all the areas/houses and my husband gets used to his Fairfield company.

So what do you suggest for starting out new to the area, needing a homebase while we are looking?

Old 01-21-2013, 12:36 PM

224 posts, read 376,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelbaby1224 View Post
We do want to buy. The company will initially put us into an extended stay hotel for a month.

1. Next we need to rent "something" for a home base while we check out all the areas/houses and my husband gets used to his Fairfield company.

So what do you suggest for starting out new to the area, needing a homebase while we are looking?
Jewelbaby, I hope you end up near us. It sounds like you would be good neighbors, and will have no trouble making friends once you are here.

I know conventional wisdom is to rent first until you know the area better, but I'll be contrary and say - don't wait to buy a house. You have friends in the area, and some familiarity visiting here. With a month in a long-stay hotel on the front end, you can check areas of interest pretty well. Your chances of making a big mistake in location are not the same as for someone who just flies in for a weekend to rush around with a realtor. Now is a good time to buy. Prices still have not recovered from the recent crash, and mortgage rates are really low. Both likely will rise in the year or two to come. Since you are naturally a homeowner and not a renter, I think you should take advantage of the good deals available now and just buy.

My tolerance for risk might be higher than average, since my wife and I buy, renovate and resell the old houses we live in. We move frequently, and are used to falling into a new area and making the best of it. So you have to take my advice to BE BOLD with maybe a grain of salt.

Last edited by Scott SW Ohio; 01-21-2013 at 01:14 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 07:12 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,053 times
As far as extended stay hotels, there is one in Fairfield on Seward Road - not too far from where your husband will be working.

My recommendation would be to check out some of the areas already mentioned. Glendale would top my list of towns with the "old Main Street" feel to them but make sure to check out Sharonville as well. You may want to check out Montgomery as well - it would be about a 20-25 minute commute for your husband. Depending on what type of commute time your husband desires, Milford or Loveland would be about a 30 minute commute.

By the way, Glendale or Sharonville would be about a 15 minute commute.

Unfortunately, Fairfield does not really have a "Main Street" to it. The city has grouped together some strip malls and townhomes in a small section and called it, "The Village Green" but it is relatively new. Sort of a made up Main Street area.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
^^^There is also a Residence Inn at Union Centre, not too far away. Possibly a little higher price, but also likely a nicer place to spend a month. We stayed at the Extended Stay America at 275 and 4 and were not at all impressed with that chain if that was a representative example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati