U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:02 AM

682 posts, read 1,388,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I don't know . . . suggesting Indy is beyond Cincy in the vibrant, urban feel department of their respective downtowns? Don't you think you're coming off as at least a little biased? I just did a google maps search, sure Indy looks like it has more starbucks than Cincy, but Cincy has a Macy's and other department stores downtown.
Not biased at all but have you been to Indy? Was up there last week and you couldn't find parking in the Mass Avenue area. Between the galleries open, the two local community theatres with shows, a concert at the Murat, The antheneum was packed as were all the restaurants and Bars downtown. Nor was there a major convention in town. They also BTW have a real downtown grocery in Lockerbie

As for Indy it has one of the most prosperous downtown Urban shopping malls in the country. I am not being hard on Cincy but the poster is coming from one of the busiest , most vibrant areas in Chicago.

As I said I chose Cincinnati for its architecture but I have to give credit to Indy for preserving what architecture they have. The national trust is having their preservation convention in Indy this year (I was surprised by that two considering Indy only has 227 listed national landmarks and 12 historic districts). But they are effectively leveraging all their historic assets, unlike Cincinnati which is still bulldozing theirs. Here is how Indy was described by National Trust in their PR announcment.

"The National Trust for Historic Preservation selected Indianapolis to host the 2013 National Preservation Conference because It is a city where landmarks and historic districts contribute powerfully to livability and economic redevelopment, a success story that will be instructive to conference attendees from throughout the U.S. The National Trust also believes the national audience can learn from the example of Indiana Landmarks, a robust statewide preservation organization."

I am not being biased just realistic, Cincinnati has some great assets but a long way to go. Especially if you are coming from Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
I am not being hard on Cincy but the poster is coming from one of the busiest , most vibrant areas in Chicago.

I am not being biased just realistic, Cincinnati has some great assets but a long way to go. Especially if you are coming from Chicago.
And I disagree with a lot of what you are saying about Cincinnati, and I have the perspective of New York and LA under my belt. But I am not here to boost Cincinnati, or somehow invalidate your perspective. My intent is to balance your perspective with mine, and hopefully give a fuller representation of Cincinnati.

Although, I understand where you are coming from. I think your perspective of Cincinnati may be different from mine since you are over in the Fairmount area.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:08 AM

477 posts, read 530,004 times
Quote:
Cincinnati is deceiving in that it was a big city early in it's existence. You will be very surprised at the amenities you will find here. I know I was. I even considered moving back to NYC, or South Philly recently, only to find Cincinnati very hard to give up.
This is also very true, though those amenities are often not emphasized a lot or don't pop out at you like in a big city - always kind of behind a fog, but there if you look

Old 01-21-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
This is also very true, though those amenities are often not emphasized a lot or don't pop out at you like in a big city - always kind of behind a fog, but there if you look
Yes. Cincinnati is a city that you have to explore to appreciate. I think some of that is due to it's geography. The hills and valleys separate neighbourhoods. I know I have been very surprised by hopping in the car (or bus) and heading out to other hoods for whatever reason.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:03 PM

477 posts, read 530,004 times
On that note, most of what's opening in OTR is really impressive. Kaze, Quan Hapa, Taste of Belgium and Bakersfield (think Big Star with more of a country theme) wouldn't be out of place in a hip neighborhood in Chicago.

The difference is they all close (except bakersfield) on Sunday :P.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
On that note, most of what's opening in OTR is really impressive. Kaze, Quan Hapa, Taste of Belgium and Bakersfield (think Big Star with more of a country theme) wouldn't be out of place in a hip neighborhood in Chicago.

The difference is they all close (except bakersfield) on Sunday :P.
And that's just on Vine. There is Mayberry's on Main (plus the usual bars and night clubs,) Anchor and soon to be Zula on Race, with RhineHaus opening soon at 12th and Clay - I could continue. Not to mention a boat load of housing is under construction on Elm, Race, Republic, and Vine. OTR is about to go off the chain.

I think that as more people move there, these gastro pubs will open on Sunday and Mondays. Which a lot of them close those two days, as mentioned.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:13 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
And I disagree with a lot of what you are saying about Cincinnati, and I have the perspective of New York and LA under my belt. But I am not here to boost Cincinnati, or somehow invalidate your perspective. My intent is to balance your perspective with mine, and hopefully give a fuller representation of Cincinnati.

Although, I understand where you are coming from. I think your perspective of Cincinnati may be different from mine since you are over in the Fairmount area.
Uhhhh.... I don't think Cincinnati is so large that perspective would really differ based on the difference between restoration consultant's neighborhood and yours, especially given that they are so similar in so many respects. The difference is more likely due to educational backgrounds and expectations.

That said, I agree that the OP should visit and spend some time getting to know the area. This is going to seem like a very small town, regardless of where s/he decides to rent.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Uhhhh.... I don't think Cincinnati is so large that perspective would really differ based on the difference between restoration consultant's neighborhood and yours, especially given that they are so similar in so many respects.
So you are saying that CUF and Fairmount are similar?

Conversely, many of Cincinnati's neighbourhoods are so contained (and distinct) there can be a huge difference in one's perspective.

Last edited by TomJones123; 01-21-2013 at 02:51 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 04:38 PM

69 posts, read 115,874 times
Thanks again guys. I've spent a few days in Cincinnati, but never any extended time. But for what it's worth, I think i'm going take the jump and relocate.

now to go off topic a little.....

I'll go on record saying that I absolutely love chicago, boston, and dc. i also really liked atlanta. detroit kind of depressed me. I was born and raised in Memphis, but i don't see myself going back.

To me chicago, boston, and dc are great cities not for the great night life, restaurants, or museums but they are magnets for ambitious people with big ideas and big energy. interacting with these types on a daily basis is both energizing and motivating. this aspect is missing in detroit where there are definitely these people around, but less so and there is also a great deal of complacency. Even the successful people wanted to be successful just to have a nice house and a nice car. not that there's anything wrong with that and it's present even in the "big" cities, but it's not for everyone.

that being said, sometimes it gets a little hard to live the big lifestyle in the big city. it's really expensive and sometimes career wise, the competition makes it hard to distinguish yourself.

and then sometimes someone gives you an offer to move that you can't refuse. sometimes money talks!

I love chicago, but is it worth half the pay working in a more "ghetto" (relatively speaking) job for the chicago lifestyle? obviously, there are many who do. On the other hand, i got a unique opportunity to actually further my career more than what I could probably have achieved in Chicago, that and twice the salary would make anyone think twice about their so called priorities.

but getting back to the original question. I'm okay being a little farther out from the nightlife and shopping, but the one thing that spoiled me was the fact that I had a full service grocery store at my doorstep, open 24 hours no less. it looks like that may not exist in cincinnati (curious as it's the home of kroger), but i'll definitely check out everyones' suggestions.

Thanks again guys!

Old 01-21-2013, 04:45 PM

682 posts, read 1,388,378 times
@TomJones123. My perspective is not from just Indianapolis, I've lived in San Framcisco, Charleston, Louisville, and Washington DC. I do consulting work all over Cincinnati and across the county and routinely travel.

From an architecture standpoint CUF and Fairmount are quite similar, But Knox Hill (which is in both N&S Fairmount) was built as a more upscale community as weekend homes for the wealthy who belonged to the Schuetzenverein. As a result the interiors are more like Dayton Street (higher end) than most of Fairmount and of course being at the top of the Hill we have a more impressive view of the downtown, which is probabaly why so many people from Mt Adams whose tax abatements are running out are coming over here and parts of Price Hill, the views are remarkable and the price is very affordable.

Don't het me wrong I encourage a lot of people to move here because of the architecture, but I don't think that is critical to the OP as an urban feel, which Cincinnati is starting to achieve but the amenities that one would expect in an Urban downtown are still not developed. It will take a lot more restoration and more people moving downtown to create enough dollars to sustain many businesses that Cincinnati needs.
Attached Thumbnails
Upscale apartments in cincinnati area?-img_8923.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati