Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 04:50 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,229,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by det2011sb View Post
but the one thing that spoiled me was the fact that I had a full service grocery store at my doorstep, open 24 hours no less.
We have 24 hour Walgreens and CVS. Surely that'll suffice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 07:12 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
So you are saying that CUF and Fairmount are similar?

Conversely, many of Cincinnati's neighbourhoods are so contained (and distinct) there can be a huge difference in one's perspective.
I see that restoration consultant has given you a more complete answer which reflects the drift of what I meant. The jokes about entire generations of Appalachian people never having set foot outside Price Hill notwithstanding, many of us have friends in neighborhoods all over town, or travel the entire area for work or recreational activities. Granted, everyone chooses a neighborhood to live in which offers the best mix of housing, price, convenience, etc for their preferences, but it really strikes me as silly to suggest someone's experience of a city this size would be necessarily so limited by where they live. Only if they're extremely poor and/or ignorant, I suppose. Even then, I know some pretty poor people who know the town quite well.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:15 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,788,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
We have 24 hour Walgreens and CVS. Surely that'll suffice.
I tend to agree. If you have an all night drugstore which also serves as a mini-mart, what else do you need?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 PM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Very true. Living in Chicago after spending 5 years in Cincinnati I would have to agree. Another big shock will be genuine hillbillies, its a lot more southern than you would think. (The lack of them was a shock to me in Chicago).
But isn't it relatively easy to avoid those neighborhoods?? I mean the usual suspects neighborhoods that are the common recommendations: downtown, OTR, Mt. Adams, Clifton/CUF, Hyde Park, etc. you could almost not even know you are in a city full of Appalachian americans if you just stuck to those.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
but it really strikes me as silly to suggest someone's experience of a city this size would be necessarily so limited by where they live.
-- I never said experience. I said perspective. As in one's view, or vista. In this case someone having a more pessimistic view of Cincinnati than another. Is it that hard to comprehend?

Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 AM

477 posts, read 664,343 times
Quote:
But isn't it relatively easy to avoid those neighborhoods?? I mean the usual suspects neighborhoods that are the common recommendations: downtown, OTR, Mt. Adams, Clifton/CUF, Hyde Park, etc. you could almost not even know you are in a city full of Appalachian americans if you just stuck to those.
Agreed. Though you still will have a bit of a cultural shock. Though since the OP is from Memphis, it should be fine.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
From an architecture standpoint CUF and Fairmount are quite similar, But Knox Hill (which is in both N&S Fairmount) was built as a more upscale community as weekend homes for the wealthy who belonged to the Schuetzenverein.
I think the similarities mostly end there. CUF has a thriving business district that is under heavy development as we speak, has a lot of college students, medical workers, yuppies, professors, etc. Fairmount(s) are under heavy demolition and have had some streets totally empty out. It seems there is a lack of amenities in the area overall.

My only point was one's perspective of Cincinnati. I am in the midst of heavy redevelopment and vibrant, walkable, urban neighbourhoods. Perhaps, I tend to be more optimistic on Cincinnati in this regard. I think you may be a little less positive based on where you are and the heartbreak of seeing so much demolition when many of these properties could be saved. Maybe I am speculating way too much.

I agree that development has a ways to do downtown. But I also disagree, from personal experience, that Cincinnati lacks an urban feel - particularly downtown/uptown/Mount Adams. I also disagree that these areas are devoid of amenities that would make living there unattractive. To me this is evidenced by the overwhelming demand for housing and all the heavy development.

Me and you have very different opinions of the same city. I am just making an effort to reconcile the two because it would be error to dismiss each other's opinions as "wrong." Not that we have done that.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Very true. Living in Chicago after spending 5 years in Cincinnati I would have to agree. Another big shock will be genuine hillbillies, its a lot more southern than you would think. (The lack of them was a shock to me in Chicago).
Well, in all fairness, it's not that Chicago escaped the Appalachian migration.

Hillbilly Heaven: Chicago’s Other Migration from the South | Newcity

Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 AM

477 posts, read 664,343 times
Quote:
Well, in all fairness, it's not that Chicago escaped the Appalachian migration.
Carols pub is quite literally the only thing left from that. Most of the migration assimilated into the culture - you just don't encounter it very often.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,788,546 times
The OP made the comment of having 3 full service groceries within 1 block and being spoiled.

My only knowledge of the area is from staying in nearby hotels for 2 weeks while attending a bi-annual trade show IMTS at McCormick place. I did this for quite a number of years and in the later years we always stayed on the near north side in the vicinity of where the OP currently lives. Since the show bracketed Labor Day the weather was usually condusive to walking. We would have a good complement of people, around 80 working our booth at the show. Our company treated us well and in an effort to keep us out of jail always rented a couple of extra suites set up for what we called our drink and drown rooms. Employees only, no customers allowed so we wouldn't be embarrassed by the employees who overindulged.

Once we decided it was time to eat, we would often walk to the Navy Pier. This would take us right through the streeterville neighborhood. We would walk because we needed the night air to help clear our heads. Of course we usually had a group of from 6 to 12 people, sometimes larger. I just remember always feeling safe in the neighborhood. Looking around at the apartments we would pass several would exclaim we are in the high rent district! At that time, we would frequently encounter Chicago mounted police. They must be required to take a PR course. They simply would inquire where are you staying and where are you going, have a nice night. It was comforting encountering so many police in such a short distance.

After about a week of this, I would sometimes decide I did not need another large dinner and search for something simpler. Perhaps the neighborhood has changed drastically since I was last there. Perhaps the time of night I was out looking, usually after 9:00 PM they were closed. But I do not consider a Whte Hen Pantry a full service grocery.

The OP will find most everything in Cincinnati to be a big jolt compared to where he is living in Chicago.

Now that I have reminded myself just where Streeterville is, right off Lake Shore Drive, part of the Gold Coast of Chicago, I have to ask why he is thinking of moving to Cincinnati?

Forget about most of the suggestions already made. Cincinnti simply does not have anyplace comparable to streeterville from an urban, particularly rental or lease, perspective. Shillito Lofts may be fine for many people, myself included, but compared to streeterville they are low class, noisy, dumps.

The OP needs to provide a lot more information as to personal likes/dislikes and what is appealing, wants to do in life.

This thread has expanded rapidly, but in my opinion has had little feedback from the OP. So unless he responds with some specific I don't want this, I desire this, there is little reason to go on as all we are doing is talking to ourselves. Since most of us are already familiar with life in Cincinnati, there is little to be gained from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati