U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 04:15 PM

69 posts, read 115,874 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I strongly considering a move from chicago to cincinnati. I'm a single, youngish, liberal male looking for something similar to what I've been used to in Chicago (i'm living in the streeterville area).

I understand that Cincinnati is no chicago, but the one thing that has spoiled me is the presence of not 1, not 2, but 3 different full service grocery stores pretty much within 1 block.

The common themes in these forums are mt adams, clifton, over the rhine. I'm just looking for maybe some specific suggestions or specific experiences.

Fortunately, I'm well off financially, so I don't have any specific budget. I looked at current at the banks. They are nice; however, they seem to be a little overpriced for what they offer, probably due to their prime location. How are the banks?

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 07:49 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,890,865 times
I don't know about where exactly in Cincinnati you want to go, but if you are looking for better than average rentals you can't beat Towne Properties, they have locations all over if you don't mind paying a home mortgage payment on a rental, many of which are in Mt. Adams.

Towne

Old 01-20-2013, 08:22 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,862,535 times
The banks is fully loaded same can be said for other condos downtown but they are building more just hurry up they fill up quickly!

Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 PM

69 posts, read 115,874 times
Thanks guys. One thing that seems missing from places like downtown or mt adams is a full service supermarket. Is there one nearby? Unless the kroger headquarters has one, I didnt see one.

Last edited by det2011sb; 01-20-2013 at 10:02 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 09:01 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
You will be lucky to locate 2 or more full service grovery stores in any neighborhood in Cincinnati, let alone within 1 block of each other.

The rejuvenated OTR has a number of nicely appointed apartments and condos for pleasant living, but you have to travel some for grocery shopping.

Mt Adams is know for its appeal to young professionals and river vistas, but again you will travel for shopping.

Clifton is strongly influenced by the presence of the University of Cincinnati and the closeby medical hospitals. The nicer residential sections have a large percentage of university faculty or medical professionals from convenience to work locations.

Hyde Park deserves its reputation as an older, established, stable, and somewhat moneyed neighborhood and of the 4 has the most closeby shopping. Housing varies from older large single famly homes to much more modest apartments.

I concur with looking at the offerings by Towne Properties, as they offer some of the properties with the widest range of amenities and they operate all over the Cincinnati area. An example would be The Club at Harper's Point, a large indoor and outdoor tennis facility with a total of 21 courts along with racquet ball courts, 3 pools, workout facility, etc. Definitely a club for the serious tennis player.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:42 AM

133 posts, read 154,105 times
The Reserve in downtown and Renaissance at Power Building downtown deserve a look as well. Very nice buildings with all of the amenities and none of the compromise. Very attractively priced too.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 AM

682 posts, read 1,388,378 times
Grocery shopping is an issue. Seems like many hop across the river for convenience. Since you are coming from Chicago I would strongly advise taking a few days and spending some serious time exploring the city and meeting the people. It absolutely is not Chicago, not even close, so before you make a move be sure its your cup of tea. Cincinnati is not known for world-renowned shopping, dining, museums, nor is it a glamorous Cultural destination.

Cincinnati has a lot to offer, but it is "really" more of a large town than a city. The City proper population is less than 300,000 and its been going down. It thinks its a Portland or a Chicago but isn't. Posters will immediately come on board and talk about metro population but Suburbanites are just that. They commute in and leave at the end of the day. You can often walk downtown and it looks like a ghost town. There is not a high level of street activity unless you are at Fountain Square or maybe on a Friday night when people go out for dinner.

I moved to Cincinnati from Indy and was shocked at how empty the downtown is. You are not going to find a Starbucks on every block. They do have a lot of special events here and on those days it busy but it is not the constant "Urban feel" you are used to in Streeterville or what I was used to in Indy with Mass Ave and its bustling downtown.

OTR has the greatest potential if you are looking for Urban 'Hipster" feel. OTR has Findlay Markey which is a must see. Mt Adams has great views and a more upscale urban vibe. You just have to remember Cincinnati really is 10-15 years behind most Urban centers. If you are OK with that you will do fine. It is not Streeterville, so come visit, spend some time, and see if you really like it.

For me , it was all about the architecture, so the rest didn't matter as much, You may have different priorities. Cincinnati IS moving forward however and in my opinion its an exciting time to watch it change, but its a slow change at best.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 AM

5,807 posts, read 10,347,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Grocery shopping is an issue. Seems like many hop across the river for convenience. Since you are coming from Chicago I would strongly advise taking a few days and spending some serious time exploring the city and meeting the people. It absolutely is not Chicago, not even close, so before you make a move be sure its your cup of tea. Cincinnati is not known for world-renowned shopping, dining, museums, nor is it a glamorous Cultural destination.

Cincinnati has a lot to offer, but it is "really" more of a large town than a city. The City proper population is less than 300,000 and its been going down. It thinks its a Portland or a Chicago but isn't. Posters will immediately come on board and talk about metro population but Suburbanites are just that. They commute in and leave at the end of the day. You can often walk downtown and it looks like a ghost town. There is not a high level of street activity unless you are at Fountain Square or maybe on a Friday night when people go out for dinner.

I moved to Cincinnati from Indy and was shocked at how empty the downtown is. You are not going to find a Starbucks on every block. They do have a lot of special events here and on those days it busy but it is not the constant "Urban feel" you are used to in Streeterville or what I was used to in Indy with Mass Ave and its bustling downtown.

OTR has the greatest potential if you are looking for Urban 'Hipster" feel. OTR has Findlay Markey which is a must see. Mt Adams has great views and a more upscale urban vibe. You just have to remember Cincinnati really is 10-15 years behind most Urban centers. If you are OK with that you will do fine. It is not Streeterville, so come visit, spend some time, and see if you really like it.

For me , it was all about the architecture, so the rest didn't matter as much, You may have different priorities. Cincinnati IS moving forward however and in my opinion its an exciting time to watch it change, but its a slow change at best.
I don't know . . . suggesting Indy is beyond Cincy in the vibrant, urban feel department of their respective downtowns? Don't you think you're coming off as at least a little biased? I just did a google maps search, sure Indy looks like it has more starbucks than Cincy, but Cincy has a Macy's and other department stores downtown.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:03 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Grocery shopping is an issue. Seems like many hop across the river for convenience....
I disagree with restorationconsultant on a lot of points, and feel he is being particularly hard on Cincinnati. I am a former New Yorker who isn't looking for New York in Cincinnati. He makes a very valid point in saying Cincinnati is no Chicago, and for that I am thankful. If you can learn to appreciate Cincinnati for it's own merits you will find there is surprisingly a lot here. But you have to be willing to learn where it is, and don't be pretentious towards people here. Personally, I have found this to be a very friendly city where I can say hi to people walking down the street.

Mount Adams, Downtown/OTR, and definately check out Prospect Hill. Grocery stores aren't an issue. They are a short drive in any direction. There are a lot of very cool shopping options in Cincinnati, that frankly, stack up better than a full service grocery store. Though, there are no shortage of grocery stores.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 AM

548 posts, read 608,120 times
I definitely think OTR is the neighborhood for you. I live at Liberty & Walnut and have no problem doing my shopping at the OTR Kroger and Findlay Market. Sometimes I take the bus up to Corryville Kroger if I need something more specific.

I lived in Lakeview, Chicago for a minute and while Cincinnati is an entirely different pace from Chicago, it's got all the amenities...just arranged differently. Frankly, I find it easier to live in Cincy without a car than I did in Chicago.

I agree with the other posters though...you need to spend a weekend or two exploring the city. It's VERY different. And while I think this is the best city in the country, it's not for everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati