U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,832,204 times

Advertisements

This link came across my facebook account this morning from Hamilton Journal.

Region leads state in job creation | www.journal-news.com

But of course, The Business Courier has spun it this way:

Cincinnati economy loses jobs in December, unemployment holds firm - Business Courier

Either way, the numbers stack up like this for 2012:

CINCINNATI METRO--24,600 jobs
COLUMBUS METRO--17,300 jobs
CLEVELAND METRO--12,800 jobs
DAYTON METRO--2,600 jobs

Can anyone find other new links? I gotta get on with the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 11:18 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,305,288 times
Keep it up. Sooner or later it will add up to population gains. Strange how adding more jobs than most faster growing metro's, yet Cincy lags in population growth. That's why i hate estimates.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:02 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,756,939 times
These numbers are meaningless unless one looks at them in the context of relative size of the metro area.

This here is a very postivie stat, however:

Quote:
We are waiting to see the labor force start to grow. That is something that has happened after previous recessions and it hasn’t happened in the most recent recovery so far,” he said.

Cincinnati USA Partnership, the group overseeing economic development activities in the region for the JobsOhio Network, forecasts that 2013 regional employment will grow by about two percent.

As of August 2012, the metro area had regained about 97 percent of all jobs lost

Old 01-23-2013, 07:27 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,520,862 times
^ Thanks for that, Dayton Sux. Long-term data like that is more revealing than one-year data, especially with such a volatile economy. Just gaining the most jobs doesn't mean performing the best, since our recession bottom might have been lower. I wonder the percentage of jobs gained back in the other two C's.

Where did that quote come from? I skimmed the articles TomJones123 linked to and didn't see it.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:43 AM

3,383 posts, read 3,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
These numbers are meaningless unless one looks at them in the context of relative size of the metro area...
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
^ Thanks for that, Dayton Sux. Long-term data like that is more revealing than one-year data, especially with such a volatile economy. Just gaining the most jobs doesn't mean performing the best, since our recession bottom might have been lower. I wonder the percentage of jobs gained back in the other two C's...
Hey fellas...it is what it is and it was what it was. These were some tremendously positive stats concerning Cincinnati--so just sit back and enjoy what was Ohio, 2012 and leave all the nitpicking and gnashing of teeth to boosters of the other "2-Cs."

Old 01-24-2013, 06:50 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,756,939 times
No, it isn"t what it is. It's a meaningless number. To compare performance relative to other cities you have to go beyond the raw number.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
Positive figures are better than negative figures. But numbers alone need a lot of interpretation. To state the Cincy Metro has regained 97% of the jobs lost during the recession sounds good. But that is just number of jobs. How about companion figures such as %pay regained, %full-time versus part time, etc.? Again, positives are good but maybe not as good as they appear on the surface.

I have a number of still working acquaintances employed in a variety of industries, mostly in sales. And none of them are crowing about a resurgent economy. In fact just the opposite. They are constantly complaining even long term customers continue to pressure them on price, are constantly shopping other vendors, even when they can point to a stellar performance from a product and service standpoint.

The one exception is my former employer who retired me 2 years early 10 years ago due to a severe business downturn. They just enjoyed their best year ever globally in 2012. Why? Many of their competitors succumbed, kaput, died during the same business cycle when I was put out to pasture. I think it is called survival of the fittest?

What is their major problem - people? They cannot locate enough people to install and service the product globally. A younger co-worker of mine is now finding himself to be a globe-trotting person. He says yes they pay me more and the expense account is no problem when I go to Brazil, Argentina, Australia, and The Netherlands. But it tends to wear you down. This is not a vacation. We deal in a sophisticated product with unbelievable custom electronic control systems. I spend most nights on the phone with Engineers in either Cincinnati or Japan trying to diagnose what is not working and how to fix it.

What is my point? There are jobs out there, but likely 99% of the applicants do not qualify. By a quirk of fate a given company may find themselves in a position of favorable global competition. But if they do not maintain pace, others will move in.

But the vast majority, the McDonalds, Wendys, Burger King, Skyline, Gold Star, Subway, and whoever I left out are not established to provide a living family sustaining wage.

Call me whatever you want, but I see very little in these figures to contend Cincy is doing anything beyond everyone else arround us other than survival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or