U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:20 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,848,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
I would make a call if a neighbor put up a fence without a permit.
Oh no, don't do that.

On the other hand there are two inspectors that patrol CUF. The routinely ding landlords who haven't pulled permits. As I understand it, the inspectors are in a position to justify their job's existence, therefore they are quite zealous. Neither of them have reputations of being hard to work with though. They will get you pointed in the right direction and tell you exactly where to go and who to talk to to get the proper permit. Oh, and they aren't supposed to enter your property to check for violations. They need to see obvious signs from the outside. Realistically, they are at a loss when it comes to enforcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 PM

31,401 posts, read 57,662,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
I don't think there is a Home Depot in the city limits.
Does that prevent city residents from shopping there?

Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 PM

1,578 posts, read 2,314,140 times
^ No but they are only a tiny fraction of who do shop there.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:45 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,848,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Does that prevent city residents from shopping there?
Mostly. I usually goto Beck Hardware in Walnut Hills or Ace Hardware out on Ludlow. And there is a great big razor wire fence surrounding Home Depot that keeps us city residents at bay.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 AM

114 posts, read 172,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
^ No but they are only a tiny fraction of who do shop there.
The Columbia Township Home Depot and Lowe's are basically surrounded by Cincinnati! Why would city residents be only a fraction of the people who shop there... They are the closest big box home improvement stores to Hyde Park, Oakley, and Pleasant Ridge.

I think some people just make stuff up on this forum without ever being near these places.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM

^Hmm after the 15 or so Home depots in the metro area. None are in the city limits of Cincinnati. Very much most of their sales are to the suburbs not the city of Cincinnati.

What exactly am i making up compared of what you presented?

Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM

31,401 posts, read 57,662,341 times
What does it even matter where the damn hardware stores are? For crying out loud ...

I always shopped at Bailey's in Madison Place.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:54 PM

^ Well since you butt in. My response was to this quote about the city of Cincinnati laws. "Retaining walls (You know the kind you buy in pieces at the local home improvement store? You need a permit and it can quickly run into thousands. The average homeowner who goes to home depot every weekend violates the law constantly without knowing it."

Old 01-30-2013, 04:34 PM

682 posts, read 1,393,185 times
Maybe its because my neighborhood is going through major restoration , but I see a lot of pickup trucks and the kind rental trucks the Depot by Westwood has in my neighborhood. Most of the people I work with shop there because they have the inventory.

Cincinnati Inspection is a "Call in" based system. Anyone can complain and the city sends out an inspector. The problem with that is a lot gets missed.

Code based enforcement makes sense. I want to be sure my neighbor isnt doing electrical wiring when his house is 5 feet away. Can they put in a ceiling fan? Probably. The big problem are slumlords patching stuff together. Many cities have focused directed enforcement. People contact their local neighborhood group, They turn it in. it also stops 'neighbor wars" where people who are angry, waste code enforcements time .

In many cities you can perform your own electrical with a permit but FIRST you must take a test, same with plumbing. In Cincinnati they are more worried about colllecting a fee. If you are an owner occupant and willing to sign an affadavit you be amazed what the city will let you do, no test at all.

We need to revamp our system and we need to have input from residents, homeowners, developers, etc.

We have ton of historic assets and those assets can be developed (improving our property tax base), Given the size and scope of the task I'd like to see the council enact a Restore our City Incentive program that would do the following if you take on a house with city orders against it or buy an empty foreclosed property:

1: No fee or greatly reduced fees on Permits.
2: Offer a free dumpster for initial cleanout.
3: Eliminate the VBML ordinance
4: Raise the tax abatement from its current 275K to 500K, to encourage restoration of larger , expensive homes , like you find in Avondale, Westwood and Walnut Hills

Couple that with an agressive marketing campaign to promote this city's architecture and urban neighborhoods and you would be amazed how many people we could attract from out of state to come in and restore this city..

Old 02-01-2013, 04:54 PM

87 posts, read 183,407 times
While this question may be directed towards any medium sized city in the United States as this country attempts to pull itself out from under this recession of five years, it is important to realize that the answer is so relative that any objectivity is impossible. However, it is easy to see that gentrification in OTR is real and ongoing. The downtown is hopping on the week-end and young professionals are spending money. 21 C, the new downtown hotel on Walnut is as hip as any hotel in the country. Cincinnati's restaurants can arguably rival any city outside of NYC, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Recovery for cities that have a historical dependence on heavy industry is going to be slow going for a while. Yet, I do believe the shackles of a Germanic conservative heritage were shed a couple of decades ago and Cincinnati has an urban authenticity that Columbus or Indianapolis could never achieve. The "turn around" is more of a "round about." Give it some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or