U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,527,360 times

Advertisements

> So why did I come to Cincinnati from Indy? Because I believe in historic preservation and I believe this city has ONE thing going for it and it is the finest collection of historic architecture in the nation.

You really have a one-track mind which inevitably misses the forest for the oh-so-pretty trees. But I admire your passion, and I think a lot of times you have good points and interesting contributions.

> I have learned there are two ways people leave Cincinnati city government, they retire OR they are hauled away in handcuffs.

That is, like, the most ridiculous thing ever. How many people have been arrested in city government since you've been paying attention? Have you ever done work in New Orleans? Chicago? NYC? New Jersey? Or even some place that doesn't have term limits for council or mayor and what you are saying is actually possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 02:47 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,430,306 times
I believe the last few years in Cincinnati have been absolutely fine. New developments are definitely on the high side, both commercial and residential. Anyone having a problem with the City is either not paying attention or is just an outright pessimist. I have to agree I tend to be on the pessimistic side, but Cincinnati just keeps adding more layers of development. If these do not impress you then you must be on about the other side of dead.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:49 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,848,821 times
I like restoraionconsultant's post a lot and enjoy his perspective, blog, and work. I think he may be down on Cincy a little, but to be fair the city does have a lot of ground to cover still. And you all know I do love to stay on the developments and love what's happening here.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I like restoraionconsultant's post a lot and enjoy his perspective, blog, and work. I think he may be down on Cincy a little, but to be fair the city does have a lot of ground to cover still. And you all know I do love to stay on the developments and love what's happening here.
He has a point when he says that downtown Indy is several years ahead of downtown Cincinnati. He also has a point that Cincinnati's architecture is leagues ahead of Indy's. The rest of the post is biased clutter.

I appreciate what downtown Indy has done, and I can see why someone with an American Conservative bent would see it as a real rising star. But I am turned off by what I see as a McCity feel. It's like a big version of the Banks, which is great as a downtown district but not as a downtown. Still, I recognize it as an economic success story. But not one with great potential for tourism or sky-is-the-limit growth.

I certainly do not share RC's vision of OTR as being full of pristine single family homes full of automobiles. (I also don't see how converting historic mixed-use tenements to single family homes can be considered "restoration".) But I can see why someone with that ideal would view Indy in a brighter light than I do.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I believe the last few years in Cincinnati have been absolutely fine. New developments are definitely on the high side, both commercial and residential. Anyone having a problem with the City is either not paying attention or is just an outright pessimist. I have to agree I tend to be on the pessimistic side, but Cincinnati just keeps adding more layers of development. If these do not impress you then you must be on about the other side of dead.
You should recognize achieving this success required battling and rejecting the pessimism you propagate.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
You should recognize achieving this success required battling and rejecting the pessimism you propagate.
But if it was easy to do in a few years the cheap **** it was built out of would be right back where they strarted. It states someone with determination to do something which will stick around for awhile.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
But if it was easy to do in a few years the cheap **** it was built out of would be right back where they strarted. It states someone with determination to do something which will stick around for awhile.
Not sure what you are talking about exactly, but a lot of what's going on in OTR is high end work.

All the cheap garbage is going up around UC to house students.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Not sure what you are talking about exactly, but a lot of what's going on in OTR is high end work.
I am just saying if it is done simply and easily with little effort it is probably not very good quality. From what I can tell everything which 3CDC has been involved with is of good quality. I just hope what is expanding North of Liberty is of equal quality. You can't expect 3CDC to rebuild the entire city, but maybe they should. Word of mouth is always a great sales tool. If people understand that if 3CDC is involved you will be pleased with the result that will go a long way to keeping the ball rolling. If some cutrate outfits jump in there and try to grab a quick profit off sub-standard product everything could be set back a lot.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
From what I can tell everything which 3CDC has been involved with is of good quality. I just hope what is expanding North of Liberty is of equal quality.
Gotcha, and great point. I can't say how I know, why, or when but 3CDC plans to move north of Liberty. Obviously, not everything in OTR will be high end, no more than everything that has been developed recently is high end. But even the low income housing that has gone in lately seems to be doing a better job at working with exisiting buildings than what has happened around UC in CUF and Corryville.

It's just a different demographic altogether. The developers uptown seem hell bent on making things look like a shopping mall. And they may know what they are doing too, considering a lot of UC students likely come from suburbia.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:19 PM

kjbrill, I don't know how your response to my post is related to my post. Maybe you can elaborate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or