U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:34 PM

682 posts, read 1,389,645 times

Advertisements

> I have learned there are two ways people leave Cincinnati city government, they retire OR they are hauled away in handcuffs.

That is, like, the most ridiculous thing ever. How many people have been arrested in city government since you've been paying attention? Have you ever done work in New Orleans? Chicago? NYC? New Jersey? Or even some place that doesn't have term limits for council or mayor and what you are saying is actually possible?[/quote]

Several as a matter of fact. There was heslth department worker charged with shoplifting in Westwood. There was city meter reader charged with stealing change from meters. There was an arcticle in the Enquirer about a city building inspector who had code violations on his own house.Do we all recall Diana Frey who was charged and convicted of 750,000.00 embezzlement who was in charge of the city pension fund?

That of course is the tip of an iceberg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 PM

477 posts, read 530,672 times
I'll agree that Indianapolis is mostly McDowntown, its not too exciting, but it is pretty vibrant, and generally ahead of Cincinnati, but on the other hand when Cincy finally beats Indy, its going to be a world better than Indy because the base template Cincy has is much much better.

Cincinnati's biggest problem is its lack of interest in preservation, and I think this is cultural especially among older property owners (who have a totally out of wack anti-city bent which I think is fueled by the intense self-loathing that Cincinnati has endured for so long - if there was more civic pride directed in the right way more things would be saved!), but on the flip side another issue is a lack of interest (barring 3CDC though I'll admit I'm not a fan of the glass buildings in OTR that are going up in Mercer Commons - most of the rest of their stuff is great though) in quality architecture in a town that is just bursting with old quality architecture. While the newer stuff does tend to look cheaper and for various reasons we cannot build Victorian style houses economically in today's environment, it would be nice if the architects followed a few more urban friendly rules to make their buildings fit in better with the superb environment that surrounds them.

There was a fantastic editorial in Soapbox by Casey Coston that says the same thing, but in way better words than I have:

Soapdish: Cincy Crit

Old 02-22-2013, 09:10 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,522,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
>Several as a matter of fact. There was heslth department worker charged with shoplifting in Westwood. There was city meter reader charged with stealing change from meters. There was an arcticle in the Enquirer about a city building inspector who had code violations on his own house.Do we all recall Diana Frey who was charged and convicted of 750,000.00 embezzlement who was in charge of the city pension fund?

That of course is the tip of an iceberg.
All of those are cases of one person doing something illegal for their own benefit. None are an example of someone getting kickbacks for favors performed or conspiring with elected officials.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:56 AM

26 posts, read 37,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by det2011sb View Post
Obviously this will turn into a city trashing thread, but I was hoping for some real perspective from people living in the area.

Cincinnati, based on the statistical projections I've been able to find on the internet, is forecasted to grow only modestly over the next few decades, especially when compared to similar cities, such as Indianapolis and Columbus.

However, out of all the cities of similar size, Cincinnati appears to have the strongest economic base with its plethora of fortune 500 companies. Cincinnati enjoys a nice central location to several other moderate sized cities (2 hrs to indy, 1.5 to columbus, 1.5 to lousville and lexington).

Cincinnati has a strong educational base as well with a good number of strong universities, maybe not excellent, but I would argue its cohort of universities are stronger than similar or even larger cities such as charlotte, phoenix, or orlando.

The city itself is also scenic with it's river and hills. It doesn't have the beaches of miami, or the mountains of denver, but are indianopolis/columbus/KC more scenic than cincinnati?

Is Cincinnati lacking in the high tech department? I find that also puzzling with the aerospace industry supposedly so prominent in the area.

Finally, I don't know if its the conservative nature that is holding cincinnati back. By conservative I mean complacent. I figure charlotte and indy are both conversative metros with liberal city centers. Is cincy that much different or is it more complacent. When I visited SLC, which is arguably an even more conservative metro, I didnt get a sense of complacency, but rather there was a strong sense of energy and progress. however, Detroit seemed to be the poster child of resignation and complacency when I lived there.

Finally, I've never really bought the incompetent leadership argument because every major city feels that their leaders are corrupt and incompetent. Cities tend to thrive rarely due to the leadership but rather due to a combination of a geographic uniqueness, luck, appearance of "sexiness", but most importantly large pool of an educated workforce.

So I guess Im asking what are the forecasters seeing that I'm not seeing. Is Cincinnati being unfairly grouped with the rust belt. Is there truly a renaissance? Or maybe its that all the cities in the region just complement each other and the whole midwest region will just become one giant megapolis similar to the east coast

thanks guys for helping out with my earlier question
Cincinnati is like other rust-belt Midwestern cities saddled by a familiar set of problems:

- Un/semi-skilled manufacturing base that in (large part) employed uneducated whites and blacks in central cities

- As the manufacturing base started eroding, the underpinnings of the "Great Society" entitlement state bloomed, particularly welfare

- Most blacks (and many whites) in the inner city had little incentive to upgrade their skills because of the availability of entitlements, and have therefore remained a permanent underclass in placed like St Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Baltimore, etc

- An "us vs. them" attitude developed where educated, white-collar whites moved to the suburbs, while most blacks remained in the central city. Neither group interacted much

- Lack of economic opportunities caused migrants to stay away, further reinforcing the insular attitudes of these cities

- Cities like Indianapolis and C-bus never had much of a manufacturing base, so they're relatively unencumbered by the animosity and regressive attitudes that plague old manufacturing cities. Their central cities tend to be healthier, and black/white relations are slightly better (though almost all Midwestern/Northern cities are highly segregated)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or