U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:11 AM

1,578 posts, read 2,310,846 times

Advertisements

^ 30 teams but not 30 cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 03:28 AM

3,386 posts, read 3,719,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
There are 30 teams, and it will have been 27 years since Cincinnati last hosted the game. They probably do this on a rotating basis for the most part.
So, I guess Cincinnati just "got lucky," huh? ( Does it matter?)

Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,842,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
So, I guess Cincinnati just "got lucky," huh? ( Does it matter?)
I can feel the sarc, and it's well put. It was no accident, and it's not something to downplay as if we happened to be on some rotating schedule that we have the All Star Games coming to town.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...nclick_check=1

Quote:
When Castellini fights for something, his personality can be just this side of brawling. He hounded Bud Selig for years. “Rode him like a jockey,’’ in the words of one senior club official. “Tenacity is a great virtue’’ was the commissioner’s assessment.

Castellini wanted it for the town.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,665,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
There are 30 teams, and it will have been 27 years since Cincinnati last hosted the game. They probably do this on a rotating basis for the most part.
Not so. With the ASG here in 2015, Cincinnati will have hosted the game twice since the most recent time either the A's or Dodgers have hosted. In fact, the Dodgers, who play in a beloved stadium in media-darling LA, haven't hosted the game since 1980. Also, neither Miami (new stadium) nor Tampa Bay has hosted an ASG. Washington (new stadium) hasn't either.

The Angels and Pirates have both hosted multiple ASGs since Cincinnati last did. Pittsburgh hosted the game twice in 12 years (1994, 2006).

Old 01-26-2013, 12:22 PM

688 posts, read 867,249 times
Sad thing about this is tickets to the exhibition will be well above what the average family can reasonably afford. I would really enjoy going to this event but with single tickets approaching 200 dollars per a 700WLW news report (if you can get your hands on them before the ticket brokers do) I doubt I'll be in attendance.

Yet another sporting event that is priced to cater to either the extremely wealthy or the financially inept willing to mortgage savings or bill paying ability to attend.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:35 PM

1,578 posts, read 2,310,846 times
^ Since it's one game everyone will not be local.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Sad thing about this is tickets to the exhibition will be well above what the average family can reasonably afford. I would really enjoy going to this event but with single tickets approaching 200 dollars per a 700WLW news report (if you can get your hands on them before the ticket brokers do) I doubt I'll be in attendance.

Yet another sporting event that is priced to cater to either the extremely wealthy or the financially inept willing to mortgage savings or bill paying ability to attend.
You likely know this already, but I think they are expensive because they are tickets to the entire event, versus just a game.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:10 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,412,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
You likely know this already, but I think they are expensive because they are tickets to the entire event, versus just a game.
No they are expensive just because they can be, just like the Super Bowl. It is the old law of supply and demand, small supply big demand. Kind of like the clubhouse at the Kentucky Derby or any other single day a year sporting event. Keep raising the price until you no longer fill the place then back down.

I agree with Zen_Master, it would be nice, but.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
No they are expensive just because they can be, just like the Super Bowl. It is the old law of supply and demand, small supply big demand. Kind of like the clubhouse at the Kentucky Derby or any other single day a year sporting event. Keep raising the price until you no longer fill the place then back down.

I agree with Zen_Master, it would be nice, but.
No, I saw a report on it on WLWT news. They are expensive because the tickets are for the ENTIRE event.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:44 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,412,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
No, I saw a report on it on WLWT news. They are expensive because the tickets are for the ENTIRE event.
Please identify what is the Entire Event? Are you are talking about that concocted muscle bound Home Run Derby held the night before? Let's see how many of the ticket holders even show up for that. Or can you get out on the field and vie for autographs during batting practice - Wow! I am not trying to lambast you Tom, but the Main Event is the Main Event and everything else is also ran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or