U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times

Advertisements

Of the four, Oregonia is definitely the spit in the road and the sticks. But if you look at the location there is not much more to fall down, and therefore the future should be OK. If you are interested in a country estate, and not overly concerned with distance to civilization, Oregonia would be my choce.

Lebanon and Waynesville are not quite the sticks, as their downtowns have been there forever. Lebanon is increasingly a suburb of Cincinnati and Waynesville of Dayton. They each have a little bit of everything, old town, sprawl, everything which evolves around a country town.

Franklin is the least likely of my choices. Its proximity to I-75 and also to Dayton resulted in a spurt of growth. But much of it was low class suburban sprawl. Now that Dayton jobs have become scarce, Franklin has a problem. There is very little commerce in Franklin itself to support life. So it would be the one I would avoid.

Thinking about it, if I had a souce of income not requiring a daily commute to one of the bigger cities, Oregonia would be my choice. Why? Several reasons. First of all it is so small that you do not have to wait for a rehab, as there is not much left to rehab. Second, the surrounding countryside is beautiful, like living in early Colonial America. Not knowing what you are looking for I am just responding off the top of my head. But yes, Oregonia would be my choce. Oregonia is about 5 miles north of Lebanon and 6 miles south of Waynesville. So if you can afford to live there, what is the big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 06:26 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,302,691 times
Those area's except Franklin are far from a hospital. If something was to happen to someone. Being somewhat close to a hospital is a + in my book.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:37 PM

204 posts, read 274,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Those area's except Franklin are far from a hospital. If something was to happen to someone. Being somewhat close to a hospital is a + in my book.
Lebanon has an excellent emergency room at the fairly new Bethesda Arrow Springs. I was there in October after trying to cut my finger off with a pruning saw, and later for physical therapy. Three years ago my mom, visiting for Thanksgiving, had a breathing emergency and we took her there. Good care and good outcomes in both cases.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SW Ohio View Post
Lebanon has an excellent emergency room at the fairly new Bethesda Arrow Springs. I was there in October after trying to cut my finger off with a pruning saw, and later for physical therapy. Three years ago my mom, visiting for Thanksgiving, had a breathing emergency and we took her there. Good care and good outcomes in both cases.
Yes, small towns are no longer devoid of medical care. A number of years ago my wife was rear-ended in her Lincon Mark-VIII sedan here in Mason, severely enough it broke the front seat back, creased the roof at the quarter panels, and pushed the rear seat through the trunk into the passenger compartment. I was contacted at work by the EMS people. By the time I got to the scene I was very concerned about her condition. They had already transported her to the ER in Lebanon.

When I arrived there they had taken a series of X-rays, attended to her cuts and abrasions, and informed me they found no signs of broken bones or internal inguries. They kept her overnight for observation. The next day I brought her home. Fortunately she had not sustained any serious inguries. But I got to observe how prepared they were to address anything and if necessary transport her to another facility, by helicopter if they felt warranted. The Lincoln was toast, but she was OK. In today's world, many of our small towns have clinics which are capable of dealing with a wide variety of circumstances.

Here in Mason we have a brand new adjacent West Chester Medical Center. This hospital is state of the art and likely capable of about any procdure other than a heart transplant, and I am not too sure they could not do that. We also have several clinics which offer ER services such as Jewish Hospital North and Bethesda Mason. Compared to years ago, medical services in small towns are a far cry superior.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 PM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Perhaps I was a bit too hard in describing Waynesville the way I did, but the town never crossed my radar as any place except to pass through. My bad.
Eh, everyone has their opinions, right? I just wondered if maybe you'd got tossed into jail overnight in Waynesville for running one of the three stoplights or something ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
I don't know about buying beer in town but you can now absolutely drink beer at a bar inside Waynesville's city limits.

Clearly it's the fourth horseman of the apocalypse. Kidding.

Wow. Welcome to the 20th Century. LOL

It always amused me when my friends would drive to Harveysburg to buy beer.

Harveysburg. Now there's a town ...

Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,222,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Of the four, Oregonia is definitely the spit in the road and the sticks. But if you look at the location there is not much more to fall down, and therefore the future should be OK.
This is actually a very cogent (and buried) point. Lebanon is a small town with nice neighborhoods, yes, but it also has some rather slummy pockets in-town, including some not very old 1960s-70s vintage plats that haven't aged well. What I'm saying is that there are neighborhoods in Lebanon that you really don't want to buy in now and slum people who don't care living in those areas. And that's because Lebanon is just large enough to have some social class stratification of its neighborhoods, and some ratty foreclosure ridden spots. Waynesville is not quite at that size yet. For the purpose of comparison, Mason doesn't quite have that phenomenon of decayed in town neighborhoods (at least I haven't seen much of it.)

Oregonia will never be at that level unless some big development gets built out there and then ages badly. And that is HIGHLY unlikely at present, since the "San Mar Gale" development near Oregonia that was started a few years ago expired due to the collapsed housing bubble.

IE, you'd do fine to have 20 acres and a 1 million house between two Oregonia meth shacks.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 AM

3,377 posts, read 3,694,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
...Oregonia will never be at that level unless some big development gets built out there and then ages badly. And that is HIGHLY unlikely at present, since the "San Mar Gale" development near Oregonia that was started a few years ago expired due to the collapsed housing bubble.

IE, you'd do fine to have 20 acres and a 1 million house between two Oregonia meth shacks.
Yes, label me a proponent of sprawl, but back in 2005 or so, I was delighted in reading about how expansive this San Mar Gale development would be--and was later saddened when the housing bubble collapsed, bringing it all to an end. To briefly reiterate, I'm referring to literally the several thousand homes that would have materialized over several decades, helping advance Cin-Day to the northeast of Cincinnati, rather than merely along the I-75 corridor to the northwest. Yes, all this would have been sprawl of the first magnitude--but witness what's out there today. Just like Ohioan58 suggested--an ideal pastoral setting in the middle of nowhere to build a Million-Dollar Mansion smack dab between two meth labs and a field full of Mary Jane.

Last edited by motorman; 01-28-2013 at 03:10 AM..

Old 01-28-2013, 06:24 AM

82 posts, read 182,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SW Ohio View Post
Ohiosgreat, I had a look at your past posts and it seems you are asking this same kind of general question all over the country. What's up? Is the Lebanon area of actual interest to you, that we can feel good about devoting time and effort trying to help you?
Its a terrible thing not knowing where to move....I wish someone would just move us........
we would love to duplicate another Medina, Ohio -- any insight is very helpful --

Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 AM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
we would love to duplicate another Medina, Ohio -- any insight is very helpful --
In that case ... Lebanon.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,013 times
Why not stay in Medina?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati