U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,750,175 times

Advertisements

None of these places are truley in the sticks since they are fairly close to both Cincy and Dayton. The two I'll comment on are the two I go to alot (by car and on my bicycle), since the are close: Oregonia and Waynesville.

Both are in the Little Miami River Valley, which has a long rail-trail bike trail. The Little Miami river is popular for canoing. They are also the gateways to the Cesars Creek Lake region, which is a resevoir used for swimming, boating, fishing, horseback riding, hiking, hunting...sort of an outoorsmans paradise..

Both are essentially suburban at this point in time, as in the kind of people who live there and where they may work.

Oregonia is probably the most rustic-looking since it sits in a wooded river valley and is a rather small collection of houses + church...but the PO zip is probably including a lot of the surrounding country which is a mix of working farms, hobby farms, and large lot development strung out along country roads. Very scenic area & I know it as it has hiking and cycling opportunities (I go hiking near here quite a bit and have cycled here, too). There is no shopping except the convience store/post office. And the Little River Inn, popular with both kinds of bikers/cyclists (the ones with engines and the ones you pedal).

The vibe is one of those places where counterculture types moved during the 1970s back-to-the-land movement. Reminds me a bit of backwoods northern California towns up in the Mother Load or North Coast.

Waynesville is sweet. This is a fairly quaint country village built on a steep hill (its in the same river valley Oregonia is in, but built on the slopes, not along the river). So somewhat pictureseque...looking over rooftops and church steeples across the vallye to the hills beyond.

Great old 19th century architecture abounds (some of the oldest buildings in SW Ohio, since it was founded in the late 1700s!). But, newer subdivisions up on the somewhat rolling flatlands to the west, when you get on top of the hill...and a lot of large lot development along country roads, hobby farms, etc...similar to what's around Oregonia.

Waynesville is a big antiques/country crafts/Americana center, sort of a Yellow Springs for older, more consevative people. But it does have a small supermarket (IGA?), so there is everday shopping if you need something in a pinch.

Both of these areas are good if you want more rural flavor without being TOO far away from the two cities and more standard shopping (like Walmart, Kroger, etc...all available in nearby Lebanon, Centerville, Bellbrook or Springboro).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 PM

204 posts, read 274,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
In that case ... Lebanon.
Yep, it's settled... Lebanon.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post

Waynesville is a big antiques/country crafts/Americana center, sort of a Yellow Springs for older, more consevative people. But it does have a small supermarket (IGA?), so there is everday shopping if you need something in a pinch.
The grocery in Waynesville is Supervalu.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:37 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,727,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
Looking for any info you can give me on the following areas:

just anything.....what its known for...is it a nice area...is it known for being run down...is it known for being nice...is there a difference with taxes, if it has lots of well water...are the wells usually good or bad?
do any of the areas have gas available? just anything that comes to mind on the areas.....

Thanks so much!

Oregonia, Wanesville, Franklin, Lebanon, and any area around that I may be missing....are any of these areas considered the "sticks"...?
From the perspective of a person living in an average city neighborhood

Oregonia - never heard of it
Waynesville - quaint small town, summer festival
Franklin - never heard of it
Lebanon - sprawl but with a good heart. a nearly impossible commute to downtown

Old 01-28-2013, 04:29 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,222,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Oregonia
The vibe is one of those places where counterculture types moved during the 1970s back-to-the-land movement. Reminds me a bit of backwoods northern California towns up in the Mother Load or North Coast.
Wellll...

One thing that has disappointed me greatly about Warren County is how little decent social culture it harbors compared to how the area looks. You LOOK around areas like Oregonia and you think "wow, this reminds me of <hip well known rural place>, there HAVE to be cool progressive people here" - and there simply aren't any.

Oregonia isn't Marin or Bucks County or Vermont by a very, very, VERY long shot.

I know I'm sounding really patronizing but I want to set the right expectations.

Around there if you're a hippie back to nature type you would pretty much stay to yourself.

Last edited by Ohioan58; 01-28-2013 at 05:35 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 05:28 PM

31,166 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Oregonia - never heard of it
Waynesville - quaint small town, summer festival
Franklin - never heard of it
Lebanon - sprawl but with a good heart. a nearly impossible commute to downtown
You should start hanging out in Warren County more often!

Oregonia, OK, but Franklin has two exits on I-75. Maybe even three.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,601 times
^ Having 3 exits doesn't exactly make it an enticing place to drive to. I had a friend move to Franklin, been there a number of times (over 10 years ago), and it wasn't exactly exciting.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
^ Having 3 exits doesn't exactly make it an enticing place to drive to. I had a friend move to Franklin, been there a number of times (over 10 years ago), and it wasn't exactly exciting.
I think she means that with all those "Franklin" exit signs to drive past on I-75, it's unlikely many folks would say they had not heard of it.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 PM

31,166 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Yes, but you've heard of it.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,601 times
Indeed, I have. For whatever that's worth!

It shares an exit with Springboro, IIRC. Maybe progmac has heard of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati