U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2013, 07:08 AM
 
82 posts, read 182,281 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SW Ohio View Post
Yep, it's settled... Lebanon.
Why do you say Lebanon is like a Medina, Ohio?
Are you familiar with Medina, Ohio?.......

Why not stay in Medina?...we would like to find a place a bit more milder in the winter and closer to travel out of Ohio....rather than being way up here......

Thanks for all the info.....when I ask about Oregonia....I didn't even know there was a "town" I just thought it was all township/country.....so what is the area like between Lebanon and Waynesville?...desirable or trashy?

What parts of Lebanon are considered slummy or run down...if you were going to live in Lebanon what part would you NOT want to live in....what part is okay...and what part is desirable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2013, 07:20 AM
 
3,751 posts, read 10,209,292 times
Reputation: 6560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SW Ohio View Post
Have you tried Doc's on Mulberry? Reasonable prices, newly expanded dining room, full bar, live music nights. They are mostly known for their hand-cut steaks, but they offer eclectic Italian choices (the lobster mac & cheese is a winner) - and their bruschetta makes a meal in itself.When we tried it (before renovation), steaks were seriously overpriced for the quailty of the cut we received. Sandwiches seemed priced appropriately. Wasn't inspired enough to want to go back

How about Porky Capone's on West Main?Great BBQ!! Limited Menu, and I don't want to eat BBQ all the time! But fantastic BBQ at a great price! Pretty darn good Southern barbecue and not expensive for the portion sizes. I can't resist the brisket and sweet sauce, but what's really addictive are their corn muffins. We order bulk takeout here for parties too.

The Breakfast Club at Broadway and Silver? Really good in the mornings for a variety of omelets and waffles, plus specialty breakfasts. They make their own sausage and have a variety of coffee blends to sample. At lunch you can't go wrong with their burgers, or the nice selection of meal-sized salads - and try the white chicken enchilada. NOT OPEN FOR DINNER!

Around back at the Golden Lamb is the Black Horse Tavern, the mid-price alternative to the rather upscale and stuffy restaurant up front. Warm tavern interior is spacious but cozy feeling, full bar (a good place to go for dinner with cocktails), famous locally for their terrific burgers but my veggie daughter likes the stuffed portabella mushroom and I go for their classic fish and chips. Still Overpriced for what you get quality-wise

These four restaurants are all in the downtown within a two block radius of the intersection of Broadway and Main, and thus are frequest stops for us. I can walk to any of these in five minutes, along with the Village Ice Cream Parlor (serving lunch and dinner along with their desserts - the chili cheese fries are worth the health risk) and Cafe 180 (new, versatile, pick your latte or cappucino and settle in for brunch or be surprised by the lunch specials - anything from lasagna to beef tips - fresh baked goods too). No dinner!A bit farther out we have Seeger's Meats & Deli on West Main (full service deli counter with meats, cheeses, seafood and prepared salads of all kinds - or dine in and go for a killer reuben or Cubano Panini with house-made soup, chili or a big salad) No Longer Serving DINNER!, Acapulco Restaurant on Columbus Avenue (formula Tex-Mex but festive, friendly and fast service - for those days when you gotta have a margarita - and dinners that will fill you up),Good Mexican Food. Great Price. As with Porky's - a niche/specialty restaurant and Mio's on North Broadway (yes, a local chain, downscale but nice sit-down food - best pizza in town IMO - we get the veggie with sesame seed crust - but for the good stuff order pasta, especially penne marinara or the ravioli Florentine).Sorry, We can't stomach the sugar-y sweet local pizza sauce

I am leaving out the two Chinese placesThe one by the Movie Theatre is inedible, two chili parlors, two wings places, the Patriot SteakhouseOverpriced, limited selection, Frisch's, Hothead Burrito, Bob Evans, various bars with some food service, and various pizza, burger, taco and other cluttery chain fast-food places in the strips north and east of town, where we rarely go to eat. We are simple people who gravitate to local non-chain restaurants with interesting food at reasonable prices, and we find enough to make us happy here in Lebanon.
I'm not going to bother with the multitude of fast food (bob evans, frisch's, pizza, chili parlors, wings joints, and the rest of the group). Its fast food. Its food-like, its cheap, and if you're hungry its available.


We drive to Max and Erma's (yes, a chain restaurant, but one started in Ohio) in Springboro, or over to Mason (Wildflower Cafe, Thai place, Straits of Malacca)/Deerfield/Kenwood/Tylersville (VOA), or Union Center in Westchester - when we want moderate-upscale good food.

Lebanon has plenty of low-priced food. They have some high priced food (Golden Lamb, Doc's, and Patriot) that in our opinion is OVER Priced. They do not have a good range of mid-level, moderate places serving American-type food at dinner. Yes, Acapulco is great. Yes the NEW Japanese Steakhouse by RadioShack seems very good (only open 2 months, could still go out of business!), and Porky's is wonderful. But that's it.

I would kill for a Jimmy John's. Or a Max and Erma's. Or an Outback (one at King's Mill is too close, so that will never happen).

But there's a reason they don't exist in Lebanon, and its because there isn't a suffient # of locals with disposable income to support them.


Lebanon is a fine town, because its commutable to anywhere. However there is not a lot in the town itself to keep townies engaged in the town. The farmer's market is on a Thursday. They just changed the hours so that it went long enough into the evening that commuter's had a chance at attending... but even that's been tough.

Prior to that (like the town itself) - the Farmer's Market was 1-5pm on Thursday afternoon. Which meant if you worked outside of Lebanon, or worked at all - it was unlikely you could attend.

Lebanon seems centered on people who work in the town, and people who don't work (stay at home parents, retirees). They do not seem to realize that the growing demographic of two-income households means things need to be open longer hours.

They do not seem to realize that the people living in the nice houses out on 123, and 48, etc.. do not work in Lebanon. (How many jobs do you think there are in Lebanon that pay over $50k per year?)

Lebanon caters to Tourists. The train is for tourists. The downtown antique stores are for tourists. The festivals are for tourists. The carriage parade is NOT FOR LOCALS!!! (Ask the shop owners along Broadway/Mulberrry if they are excited for upcoming parade -- the consensus is it brings hoards of crowds that don't buy anything above $10 and just crowd the stores) It is for tourists.

and that's fine.

But it does leave some room for improvement.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
Why do you say Lebanon is like a Medina, Ohio?
Are you familiar with Medina, Ohio?.......

Why not stay in Medina?...we would like to find a place a bit more milder in the winter and closer to travel out of Ohio....rather than being way up here......

Thanks for all the info.....when I ask about Oregonia....I didn't even know there was a "town" I just thought it was all township/country.....so what is the area like between Lebanon and Waynesville?...desirable or trashy?

What parts of Lebanon are considered slummy or run down...if you were going to live in Lebanon what part would you NOT want to live in....what part is okay...and what part is desirable?
Lebanon has some nice historic areas, that are kind of pricey.

Then there is a core of houses that have been converted to rentals (duplex/two flats or whole house) that are fairly low income (near the post office).

Most of the neighborhoods are fairly moderate. Neighborhoods on the edge of town off 48 (north or south).

Then there are the bigger newer houses (mostly outside of Lebanon proper) in the nearby townships that are also pricey.


Between Lebanon and Waynesville -- country. Rural. Probably 2 to 5 acre tracts (or bigger), unless you get into one of the neighborhoods (there are a few), which might have 1 acre lots. Those houses will just depend on who built what. You might get a McMansion from the '80s, or a farmhouse from the early 1900s, or a split level from the 60s.

I've heard of Medina, but know nothing about it, so I can't comment on Medina - Lebanon similarities.

Lebanon is the most populated of the areas you mentionted (Waynesville, Franklin, Oregonia, Lebanon), and probably has the most upscale areas.

Its also convenient to both major highways if you want to get to/from Dayton or Cinci.


Best of luck with your search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
there is a serious lack of bowling alleys in the metro!

gun 'boutique?' i like the sound of that
I know.

What is wrong with this area and its dislike of bowling!!

The gun boutique is on Broadway, at the corner of Mulberry/Broadway. Don't remember the name - think its "22 and somethingorother"...

Just know its a nice little gun shop. No idea what they carry, haven't been in. But looks very nice/pleasing to the eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
I'm waiting for that with falafel on my breath... I'd hate to be the sch-muck who owns that building. First it was a sports bar - closed. Then an overpriced small plates joint - closed. Then a BBQ with high prices and poor quality - closed. Even if it's good food, that location has a pox on it.

The current news is that the OH-123/71 truck stop is being blocked (perhaps) because the area is not zoned for overnight stays... stay tuned.
Seriously - I agree. That building has to be cursed.

I wonder if the "coming soon, Mediterranean" - is associated with the caterer on Broadway who did Middle-Eastern? Everyone said it was good (open for lunch, of course)... But since we're not in town at lunch time, we've of course never tried it!!!!!!

Willing to give Mediterranean a chance. We tried Silver Street BBQ incarnation. *shudder* Never went back. Then when it became "Blue" - never tried it because apparently it was known for drunken brawls and police reports more than it was known for burgers or food.


Yeah - following Truck Stop news. I agree 73/I-71 better location. But infrastructure (such as it is) is already existing at 123, which is why I'm sure they chose it. We shall see what develops... (or doesn't, as the case may be)

Last edited by Yac; 01-31-2013 at 03:24 AM.. Reason: 4 posts in a row merged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,180 posts, read 57,317,340 times
Reputation: 52036
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
Why do you say Lebanon is like a Medina, Ohio?
Are you familiar with Medina, Ohio?.......
Ummmm ... because I've been to Medina, and of all the towns between Cincinnati and Dayton, Lebanon is the most similar to Medina?

Quote:
What parts of Lebanon are considered slummy or run down...if you were going to live in Lebanon what part would you NOT want to live in....what part is okay...and what part is desirable?
The area between Colonial Park and Warren Street/Columbus Avenue -- New Street, Pleasant Street. Not slummy, or dangerous, but not the most picturesque area of town either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
But there's a reason they don't exist in Lebanon, and its because there isn't a suffient # of locals with disposable income to support them.
The natives do seem to prefer fast food, don't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Between Lebanon and Waynesville -- country. Rural. Probably 2 to 5 acre tracts (or bigger), unless you get into one of the neighborhoods (there are a few), which might have 1 acre lots. Those houses will just depend on who built what. You might get a McMansion from the '80s, or a farmhouse from the early 1900s, or a split level from the 60s.
Well ... I'd say semi-rural. The townships in that area are Turtlecreek, Wayne and Clearcreek. There are some small cornfield subdivisions of McMansions or 1960s brick ranches, but most of the area is larger lots and some farms, and a mix of housing.

Quote:
Then when it became "Blue" - never tried it because apparently it was known for drunken brawls and police reports more than it was known for burgers or food.
Awesome! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 AM
 
Location: A voice of truth, shouted down by fools.
1,086 posts, read 2,223,078 times
Reputation: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Lebanon has plenty of low-priced food. They have some high priced food (Golden Lamb, Doc's, and Patriot) that in our opinion is OVER Priced. They do not have a good range of mid-level, moderate places serving American-type food at dinner. Yes, Acapulco is great. Yes the NEW Japanese Steakhouse by RadioShack seems very good (only open 2 months, could still go out of business!), and Porky's is wonderful. But that's it.
My opinions:

Golden Lamb is supposedly much better than say, 5+ years ago due to new management. I always found it stuffy and high priced. Tourist trap is the word. (Based on Scott's and other recommendations we may give the tavern inside a whirl sometime.)

Doc's is always briarish and irritating and has really poor service. Loudmouth patrons, one waitress we kept getting who is a real 'b', etc.

Patriot is way overrated locally. Very poor service- we had the owner who walked by our table blow off a specific complaint about the food the one time we tried the place.

Porky's has really inconsistent quality (stuff doesn't taste smoked much of the time).

One thing I've observed about areas like Lebanon is that popular independent restaurants tend to do a lot of coasting on reputation and often stop trying once they achieve some volume because they figure they have it made.

Also, there's a poor service work ethic around there. You run into lots of chronically lazy employees and even some owners and a restaurant that starts out being popular all of a sudden goes in the toilet because nobody there thinks they need to try. I've seen several places around town basically commit suicide just by collectively deciding to suck.

Acapulco is good. The new Asian place is pretty decent (have not tried their sushi yet, kinda wondering if they have the volume to maintain the quality of sushi.) The service at both is excellent. A key there is that both places are not "of" Lebanon, outsiders started and run them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 AM
 
3,751 posts, read 10,209,292 times
Reputation: 6560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
My opinions:

Golden Lamb is supposedly much better than say, 5+ years ago due to new management. I always found it stuffy and high priced. Tourist trap is the word. (Based on Scott's and other recommendations we may give the tavern inside a whirl sometime.)

Doc's is always briarish and irritating and has really poor service. Loudmouth patrons, one waitress we kept getting who is a real 'b', etc.

Patriot is way overrated locally. Very poor service- we had the owner who walked by our table blow off a specific complaint about the food the one time we tried the place.

Porky's has really inconsistent quality (stuff doesn't taste smoked much of the time).

One thing I've observed about areas like Lebanon is that popular independent restaurants tend to do a lot of coasting on reputation and often stop trying once they achieve some volume because they figure they have it made.

Also, there's a poor service work ethic around there. You run into lots of chronically lazy employees and even some owners and a restaurant that starts out being popular all of a sudden goes in the toilet because nobody there thinks they need to try. I've seen several places around town basically commit suicide just by collectively deciding to suck.

Acapulco is good. The new Asian place is pretty decent (have not tried their sushi yet, kinda wondering if they have the volume to maintain the quality of sushi.) The service at both is excellent. A key there is that both places are not "of" Lebanon, outsiders started and run them.
I like Porkys, and I go now very infrequently (maybe quarterly), so its possible its become inconsistent and I've missed that. I know now that the owners aren't there all the time, a couple of times we've been there things weren't quite the same. Hope they'll stay on top of that.

I don't eat Sushi, but the Hibachi at the new Japanese place was excellent (as was their dumplings/Crab Rangoon), as was the service/aesthetics/price-value.

I totally agree on Patriot. I think people are so desperate for good local food that they're willing to overrate mediocre expensive food as good, because they didn't have to drive 10+ miles.

Patriot is Meh. If I'm starving (so that driving to Outback would actually cause me to die), I'll consider it - but usually we just say screw it and get fast food instead. Overpaying for mediocre food/service pisses me off more than eating fast food I don't really want.

Doc's - the waitress we had was rude. In fact all the staff there seemed kinda rude. Seemed like a "locals" place, and since (while we live there) we aren't local ... seemed clearly not to be for us. Plus the food wasn't great.

I'm not big on the BlackHorse Tavern. The food is the same as the Lamb (prepared by the same people, just more sandwich-y options). Still overpriced for tavern food. The whole "lamb" enterprise - they should lower prices by $10-$20/item and then just charge you a "historic" building fee. I'd feel much better about eating there if I knew I was getting a $15 dollar steak in a "historic" setting and therefore had to pay $25 for it.

Because if I order a $25 steak, I have expectations. For $15, I just want food.

A lot of the places in Lebanon seem to settle for "well, let's do good enough FOR Lebanon" -- which is to say in a competitive environment they'd fold. But because there's so little in Lebanon (and remarkably the city does have 15,000+ residents) mediocre places tend to survive longer than they should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Lebanon
204 posts, read 274,698 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
The gun boutique is on Broadway, at the corner of Mulberry/Broadway. Don't remember the name - think its "22 and somethingorother"...

Just know its a nice little gun shop. No idea what they carry, haven't been in. But looks very nice/pleasing to the eye.
The shop is called 22three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Lebanon
204 posts, read 274,698 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
(Based on Scott's and other recommendations we may give the tavern inside a whirl sometime.)
I would not recommend it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 PM
 
Location: A voice of truth, shouted down by fools.
1,086 posts, read 2,223,078 times
Reputation: 894
^ So much for your role as a good will ambassador.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 04:40 AM
 
Location: Lebanon
204 posts, read 274,698 times
Reputation: 391
You should follow Briolat's recommendation. His sensibilities seem more similar to yours. If he finds the Black Horse overpriced and senses it is overselling "historic" ambience I think you will too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Mason, OH
9,259 posts, read 13,365,633 times
Reputation: 1919
Lebanon is getting more attention in this thread that the other three combined which it should. Collectively there is more diversity, availability, find something you like, ability in Lebanon than the other three combined.

So maybe that is why Lebanon should be left out of the discussion as it outclasses the others maybe 5 to 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top