U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:10 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,894,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What happened to the bowling alley?!?!!!!
Some goober on city council bought it and ran it into the ground, he really wanted to run a sports bar and not a bowling alley, bought a big screen TV for the bar but did not fix his AC, he wound up losing all his league bowlers and defaulted on his SBA loan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
What parts of Lebanon are considered slummy or run down...if you were going to live in Lebanon what part would you NOT want to live in....what part is okay...and what part is desirable?
I live in the nice part of the bad area, Mulberry between Sycamore and Sage is infested with meth dealers, registered sex offenders, and kings bar, I live between there and the west street apartments which used to be bad but luckily it is mostly vacant now. Most of the neighbors I have keep their yards nice but when one leaves their replacement is usually white trash so my area is in a decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 05:55 AM

3,751 posts, read 10,215,556 times
Thanks Woxy... I had no idea what happened with the bowling alley.

When we moved to Lebanon (2008), there was the existing "entertainment center" with bowling, etc.. plus what was to become a NEW bowling alley across from Kroger (in the old Harts/Big Bear??).

Very quickly the new bowling alley died. (As previously mentioned, it is to become a large consigment ANTIQUE store)

And the "entertainment" complex, just looked more and more sketchy. We actually never went there to bowl as we couldn't even tell when it was open.

At least now I know what happened. Oh well, maybe someday we'll get a bowling alley.

I know - maybe in S. Lebanon (lowes/target plaza) they could put in a combination Movie Theatre (stadium seating please!!) and bowling alley!!! All my dreams would come true!!

Old 02-06-2013, 07:13 AM

31,216 posts, read 57,353,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Some goober on city council bought it and ran it into the ground, he really wanted to run a sports bar and not a bowling alley, bought a big screen TV for the bar but did not fix his AC, he wound up losing all his league bowlers and defaulted on his SBA loan.
*noise of disgust* Which goober was that?

Old 02-06-2013, 10:14 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,223,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
When we moved to Lebanon (2008), there was the existing "entertainment center" with bowling, etc.. plus what was to become a NEW bowling alley across from Kroger (in the old Harts/Big Bear??).

Very quickly the new bowling alley died. (As previously mentioned, it is to become a large consigment ANTIQUE store)

And the "entertainment" complex, just looked more and more sketchy. We actually never went there to bowl as we couldn't even tell when it was open.
Actually, just to add to the mirth and believe it or not, around that time TWO bowling alleys/entertainment complexes were planned: one in the dark Wal-Mart on Deerfield Road, and the other in Big Bear's old store. One in Lebanon sounded marginal. TWO being planned at one time sounded like another aspect of the cloud of pure dumbness that covers the town.

Both of these joints were being planned by different developers right around the financial meltdown in 2008. What happened to them is what happened to San Mar Gale - erased/shoved off the table due to the economy. There were quite a few things around town you'd see "coming soon" signs for in 2007ish and all those signs vanished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
What parts of Lebanon are considered slummy or run down...if you were going to live in Lebanon what part would you NOT want to live in....what part is okay...and what part is desirable?
The area right around the Post Office at New Street - what is labeled by Google Maps as "North Broadway Historic District" - seems to be a dump. My wife looked at a house around there eons ago that was about 1/2 the price that she would have expected and it's because it's that neighborhood. Lots of poorly maintained rentals in there. Just driving around there it doesn't look nice at all.

Actually, most of the stuff near downtown north of Turtle Creek, which is the divider between the old downtown and the residential southern neighborhoods (look on a Google map) should be approached skeptically. There are some charming renovations and an awful lot of rental dumps. Once you cross one of the bridges to the south part of Lebanon it's a pretty nice neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SW Ohio View Post
You should follow Briolat's recommendation. His sensibilities seem more similar to yours. If he finds the Black Horse overpriced and senses it is overselling "historic" ambience I think you will too.
Ok, that's very reasonable. I took your first post on the matter quite differently in tone.

Last edited by Ohioan58; 02-06-2013 at 10:32 AM..

Old 02-06-2013, 04:12 PM

204 posts, read 274,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Once you cross one of the bridges to the south part of Lebanon it's a pretty nice neighborhood.
The neighborhood Ohioan is describing, south of downtown Lebanon and extending to Orchard Avenue, is known as Floraville. It is a historic district (there are, I think, four of these in Lebanon) with around 60 contributing structures. Some of the historic homes were built as early as the 1820s and 1830s but there are nice post-WWII houses built as infills and continuing south for several blocks beyond the historic district proper. I agree, it is a very pleasant residential part of the city, though home prices are high here.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:46 PM

31,216 posts, read 57,353,566 times
I dunno ... I rented a pretty nice house near the Orient firehouse on East Mulberry Street for several years, and aside from a few rentals on the street that weren't maintained all that well, I couldn't have asked for a better neighborhood to live in.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,371,704 times
I live in Mason and it just exploded the last 20 plus years. Why? Because it was just a natural extension for growth outward from Cincinnati. People desiring a family oriented atmosphere, good schools, safe neighborhoods, just gravitated here. The city government also did a lot to make it attractive. I am so happy I still live on one of the most attractive suburbs in the US according to several publications.

I have been close to Lebanon for quite a number of years. There is still quite a bit of farm land between Mason and Lebanon. But I have to consider Lebanon as the next explosive growth area. There is a great amount of developable land on all 4 sides. I will put my bet on Lebanon as the next explosive development between Dayton and Cincinnati.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 PM

204 posts, read 274,890 times
Quote:
I dunno ... I rented a pretty nice house near the Orient firehouse on East Mulberry Street for several years, and aside from a few rentals on the street that weren't maintained all that well, I couldn't have asked for a better neighborhood to live in.
Ohiogirl, the other posters are describing West Mulberry (on the other side of Broadway from where you lived) as in decline. IMO your old area on East Mulberry is fine. We often visit a friend who lives in the 400 block quite close to the Orient Fire House and we like that area - good looking old houses through there.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:44 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,223,983 times
^ The quality of housing stock near downtown Lebanon is highly variable block to block. For a small town Lebanon has a lot of variability in both directions (near slum conditions to gentrified classic homes within a few blocks of each other.) You really have to visit the proposed address to check it out. More so than most cities I've lived in.

Nothing hardcore in terms of threats to personal safety. Although, a woman was raped in the middle of the day on the bike trail near downtown a couple of summers ago.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:52 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,894,259 times
Quote:
*noise of disgust* Which goober was that?
This one. You will have to scroll toward the bottom to see the story, lots of interesting reading on the way down.

Recall Matt Rodriguez | Recall Lebanon OH City Councilman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati