Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:01 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Lebanon has sprawl but it's not metropolitan sprawl like the stuff that connects Sharonville, West Chester and Mason continuously. Lebanon's sprawl is basically a little town playing pretend about sprawl and it's self contained, there are not ribbons connecting it to Dayton or Cincinnati. I think San Mar Gale would have been the first of that trend.

San Mar Gale's location was atrocious because it bordered the Little Miami recreation area. One great thing about that area is that it *is* dead and traffic and noise free. You can have your shopping elsewhere... lots of choice closer in to the city. And there are lots of vacant office and biz spaces in Lebanon. Building new crap when there is suitable existing infrastructure is sprawl to a "T".

It is a dumb little town. One dusty overpriced trinket shop after another. And very monotonous. Very Hank Hill middlebrow level. Absolutely no counterculture or hipness. Everything caters to the 65+ day tourist set. Lebanon is "Harper Valley PTA" made "flesh".

I think 48 will continue development up into Centerville. "Dayton South" already has a huge # of developments on 48, coming down into Springboro (Or whatever that is on 48 that is essentially at the same lattitude as Springboro).

Lebanon has some developments along there - and I think that will continue.

I think eventually the Lebanon area (city proper is fairly small, but townships are gigantic and sprawling) will be fairly built up all along 63/123 from 75 to 71, and up/down 48/42/741.

But as I said - it will likely take decades.

In the meantime - a truck stop *the horror!* is planned for the I-71 interchange, and a Racino for the 75-interchange...

and so it begins....

*where's my mid-priced moderate chain restaurant!!!!*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 12:33 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,355 times
I appreciate the local resistance to the truck stop because truck stops are low quality redneck caliber development. Yes, we need them, but why there? A Pilot or Flying J means no offices, no upscale shopping, etc. They won't locate next to a truck stop. If you want high end retail and services that interchange would be a great choice instead of a big dumb hillbilly truck stop. (I'd prefer the upscale development around there where there are already high volume roads rather than 2-3 miles into Turtlecreek Township near the river where San Mar Gale was being planned.)

With a truck stop of this scale - you look at OH-123 at the I-75 exit, and that is what I-71 and 123 would look like.

Agreed with the thoughts about Dayton sprawl meeting Lebanon at some point. It will still take quite awhile.

Last edited by Ohioan58; 01-29-2013 at 01:06 PM..

Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
I appreciate the local resistance to the truck stop because truck stops are low quality redneck caliber development. Yes, we need them, but why there? A Pilot or Flying J means no offices, no upscale shopping, etc. They won't locate next to a truck stop. If you want high end retail and services that interchange would be a great choice instead of a big dumb hillbilly truck stop. (I'd prefer the upscale development around there where there are already high volume roads rather than 2-3 miles into Turtlecreek Township near the river where San Mar Gale was being planned.)

With a truck stop of this scale - you look at OH-123 at the I-75 exit, and that is what I-71 and 123 would look like.

Agreed with the thoughts about Dayton sprawl meeting Lebanon at some point. It will still take quite awhile.
It seems like the suburbs mix in the redneck component with the middle class (this spot is good for either a truck stop or upscale shopping) whereas the city mixes the dirt poor with the middle class (check cashing or wine bar).

Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 PM

A truck stop would fit PERFECTLY at 71 & OH-73. That area is already cluttered up with cruddy hillbilly stuff like a flea market.

I'm mainly in favor of keeping close in highly scenic spaces intact.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:31 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
I'm not thrilled with the idea of a truck stop, because that's my exit.

I just am not optimistic that it will be stopped. Upscale shopping/restaurants (MOVIE THEATRES!) I would happily favor... but I don't see it happening.

While some of the neighborhoods surrounding Lebanon have the disposable income to support such, the core of Lebanon is not high income.

(which is why all the lebanon businesses cater to tourists and not locals).

Yes, it does seem that in the Northern suburbs it is a mix of Redneck/middle class --- but fear not, we have (or at least we had!) a check-cashing place too.

Lebanon's really got something for everyone.

Check Cashing - Yep.
Wine Bar - Yep.
Food Pantry - Yep.
Gun Boutique - Yep.
Antique Stores - Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep.

What we don't have is a Bowling Alley (I'm from Michigan, bowling is a respectable hobby for me), a newer movie theatre, or much in the way of sit-down restaurant options.

and the place on silver street that keeps becoming a restaurant and then closing 6 months later does not count!! (currently a Mediterraean restaurant - "Coming Soon!")

Old 01-29-2013, 01:34 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
there is a serious lack of bowling alleys in the metro!

gun 'boutique?' i like the sound of that

Old 01-29-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
and the place on silver street that keeps becoming a restaurant and then closing 6 months later does not count!! (currently a Mediterraean restaurant - "Coming Soon!")
I'm waiting for that with falafel on my breath... I'd hate to be the sch-muck who owns that building. First it was a sports bar - closed. Then an overpriced small plates joint - closed. Then a BBQ with high prices and poor quality - closed. Even if it's good food, that location has a pox on it.

The current news is that the OH-123/71 truck stop is being blocked (perhaps) because the area is not zoned for overnight stays... stay tuned.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 PM

477 posts, read 664,510 times
I guess I'll chime in as I grew up next to these places:

Oregonia - Small rundown village in the middle of nowhere - though the valley is quite beautiful that it rests in you really shouldn't expect much from it. I'm glad San Mar stalled out, it would have really ruined the nice nature in that area.

Waynesville - Old Quaker community quaint, historic and charming in the valley though more sprawly outside of it. Lots of antique shops in early to mid 1800s housing, not real exciting - I remember there being a fantastic swimming pool on 42 near there when I was a kid but I think its been closed for a long time.

Franklin - Hillbilly heaven, though some very nice old mansions by the river and a real small town downtown that's pretty much dead. Very blue collar, though I heard historically was the wealthier city than its neighbor Springboro. Times have changed quite a lot.

Lebanon - charming historic district and even a tourist train. This is the county seat so there is a bit more here than a few small towns in the area, like a very large YMCA for the county. Other than that not real exciting. Neil Armstrong did live right outside of it, but kind of in a nice but modest secluded house on OH 123. The Golden Lamb is fun to go to given the sheer amount of history it has and as a kid I enjoyed the train excursion - maybe it was formative towards me loving trains as a mode of transport

Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Of course my initial posts on CD (back when we were househunting) were things like "Why does everyone hate Hamilton?"
I remember that!

Quote:
"Lebanon, so devoid of culture, a resident would kill for an Applebees!"
I agree with anyone that says Applebee's is nasty, but really how many restaurants are there in Lebanon, other than the Golden Lamb, pizza, and fast food?

When I first moved there, there was a chili parlor at Broadway and Warren (Chili Company), another one on North Broadway near the fairgrounds (Sun Bright Chili) and a sit-down pizza/restaurant/bar on Columbus Avenue. And the Golden Lamb and fast food. I know things have improved, but there really aren't that many mid-priced, casual restaurants in town still.

Oh, I forgot about the Village Ice Cream Parlor.

Quote:
ANTIQUE MALL!!!!!!
But of course. And it will last about six months.

Quote:
I'm not thrilled with the idea of a truck stop, because that's my exit.
Oddly enough, I have no objection to a truck stop at an exit on the interstate.

Quote:
What we don't have is a Bowling Alley (I'm from Michigan, bowling is a respectable hobby for me)
What happened to the bowling alley?!?!!!!

Quote:
a newer movie theatre
You don't like the Colony Theater? The last time I was there, some guy with a huge cowboy hat on sat right in front of me. When I asked him to remove his hat, he started roaring at the top of his voice about how no woman was going to make him take off his hat. So we got up, sat in the row in front of him, and hopefully blocked his view.

Quote:
That is the typical downtown Lebanon restaurant, alas. They never seem to stay open; it's quite baffling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
there is a serious lack of bowling alleys in the metro!
Two words: Madison Bowl.

But that's a bit of a hike from Lebanon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Neil Armstrong did live right outside of it, but kind of in a nice but modest secluded house on OH 123.
Whenever I had friends come to town, his house would be one of the tourist attractions , usually on the way to more interesting diversions in Dayton. But then he got divorced and moved to Indian Hill; so much for that tourism stop!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 PM

224 posts, read 376,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I agree with anyone that says Applebee's is nasty, but really how many restaurants are there in Lebanon, other than the Golden Lamb, pizza, and fast food?

When I first moved there, there was a chili parlor at Broadway and Warren (Chili Company), another one on North Broadway near the fairgrounds (Sun Bright Chili) and a sit-down pizza/restaurant/bar on Columbus Avenue. And the Golden Lamb and fast food. I know things have improved, but there really aren't that many mid-priced, casual restaurants in town still.
Have you tried Doc's on Mulberry? Reasonable prices, newly expanded dining room, full bar, live music nights. They are mostly known for their hand-cut steaks, but they offer eclectic Italian choices (the lobster mac & cheese is a winner) - and their bruschetta makes a meal in itself.

How about Porky Capone's on West Main? Pretty darn good Southern barbecue and not expensive for the portion sizes. I can't resist the brisket and sweet sauce, but what's really addictive are their corn muffins. We order bulk takeout here for parties too.

The Breakfast Club at Broadway and Silver? Really good in the mornings for a variety of omelets and waffles, plus specialty breakfasts. They make their own sausage and have a variety of coffee blends to sample. At lunch you can't go wrong with their burgers, or the nice selection of meal-sized salads - and try the white chicken enchilada.

Around back at the Golden Lamb is the Black Horse Tavern, the mid-price alternative to the rather upscale and stuffy restaurant up front. Warm tavern interior is spacious but cozy feeling, full bar (a good place to go for dinner with cocktails), famous locally for their terrific burgers but my veggie daughter likes the stuffed portabella mushroom and I go for their classic fish and chips.

These four restaurants are all in the downtown within a two block radius of the intersection of Broadway and Main, and thus are frequest stops for us. I can walk to any of these in five minutes, along with the Village Ice Cream Parlor (serving lunch and dinner along with their desserts - the chili cheese fries are worth the health risk) and Cafe 180 (new, versatile, pick your latte or cappucino and settle in for brunch or be surprised by the lunch specials - anything from lasagna to beef tips - fresh baked goods too). A bit farther out we have Seeger's Meats & Deli on West Main (full service deli counter with meats, cheeses, seafood and prepared salads of all kinds - or dine in and go for a killer reuben or Cubano Panini with house-made soup, chili or a big salad), Acapulco Restaurant on Columbus Avenue (formula Tex-Mex but festive, friendly and fast service - for those days when you gotta have a margarita - and dinners that will fill you up), and Mio's on North Broadway (yes, a local chain, downscale but nice sit-down food - best pizza in town IMO - we get the veggie with sesame seed crust - but for the good stuff order pasta, especially penne marinara or the ravioli Florentine).

I am leaving out the two Chinese places, two chili parlors, two wings places, the Patriot Steakhouse, Frisch's, Hothead Burrito, Bob Evans, various bars with some food service, and various pizza, burger, taco and other cluttery chain fast-food places in the strips north and east of town, where we rarely go to eat. We are simple people who gravitate to local non-chain restaurants with interesting food at reasonable prices, and we find enough to make us happy here in Lebanon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati