U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 AM

5,658 posts, read 8,767,561 times

Advertisements

I noticed my home in Covington is on a "snow route" and that when a snow emergency is declared I will have to move the car off that street and park on another.

What constitutes a snow emergency and how is it reported?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,114,704 times
WILW: Here in the city and Hamilton County there is three levels of Snow Emergencies:

Level 1. Roadways are hazzarous and there is blowing and drifting snow--travel is not recommended.

Level 2. Roadways are hazzardous and there is blowing and drifting snow--only necessary travel is permitted--call your place of employment to see if your job is considered necessary before going out.

Level 3 Roadways are hazzardous and there is blowing and drifting snow--poss road closures due to blowing and drifting snow, only emergency traffic is permitted out--if you are out and driving and it is not an emergency you are subject to arrest.

Everyone will be notified by either radio or television.

If you live on a snow emergency route you will have to move your vehicle to another street or it will be towed.

The Hamilton County Sheriff has the authority to declare a snow emergency and close any city, county, township street or federal highway within his jurisdiction due to severe road conditions.

Hope this helps: I know this is Cincinnati/Hamilton County but I would bet Northern Kentucky cities--Covington/Newport would be the same.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 PM

577 posts, read 1,005,941 times
Interesting about the odd number/even number days.

http://www.covingtonky.gov/documents...ncy_policy.pdf

My personal rule has always been if it is snowing, take my car off the street. I left it on the street once when there was 5 inches of snow and after the plow came through my car was covered with snow, ice, and road gunk. It took me forever to get the thing out!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:24 PM

Thanks. I'm used to snowy places and don't have to move the car off the road except in extreme cases. Usually I have a garage or driveway for my home but in this case, on street parking will have to do until I can upgrade to a better house.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,126,086 times
One day there was plenty of snow in Covington. Since I had to go to the bank, I had to figure out how to get there. It seemed no one shoveled their walk (including apartment maintenance). Like other folks, I opted to hike down the street hoping that in the business district the walks would be cleared. I had to pass by the post office. The U.S. Postal Service had the sidewalks front and side of the building magnificiently cleared. The only problem was they piled the snow so that one could not get TO the sidewalk.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,951,821 times
Scores of people's vehicles were towed in my city a few years back because of a declared snow emergency, even though little ended up falling. Word to the wise.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:39 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,383,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Scores of people's vehicles were towed in my city a few years back because of a declared snow emergency, even though little ended up falling. Word to the wise.
Good advice, if they declare a snow emergency better get that car off the street, whethr it snows or not.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:33 AM

Yes it is good advice. This will likely be a temporary home until I can purchase a home with a driveway.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:28 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,903,528 times
I'm an essential employee. There is NO such thing as a "Snow Emergency" for us. I and my fellow drivers ALWAYS go to work because when the media announces the imminent arrival of the white death, everyone gets in their cars, drives to the store and strips the shelves of food like the end of the world
is coming...

Old 01-31-2013, 09:48 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,834,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I'm an essential employee. There is NO such thing as a "Snow Emergency" for us. I and my fellow drivers ALWAYS go to work because when the media announces the imminent arrival of the white death, everyone gets in their cars, drives to the store and strips the shelves of food like the end of the world
is coming...
Yes! Let's live in a constant state of emergency, it's fun!

Seriously, I scoff at the concept of a snow emergency in south west Ohio. My advice to those who think snow around here could constitute an emergency - live east of Lake Erie and get back to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati