U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 05:51 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,726,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You can do the same thing in Anderson Township and get a home in a much better school district.
I like Anderson and have friends there, but you can't really compare Anderson and CPS. It is apples and oranges.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 06:59 AM

2,507 posts, read 3,351,758 times
Pleasant Ridge and Norwood are a lot more centrally located than Mt. Washington. If I was looking for a house in your price range, both are a good fit, but I would also expand my search on up Montgomery Road into Kennedy Heights, Silverton, Deer Park, and Dillonvale.

I don't know what is currently available, but a few years ago there were some great houses in Pleasant Ridge right in your range on either side of Woodford. (streets like Dryden, Woodmont, and Grand Vista).

The other side of Montgomery is very nice but a lot pricier. The only areas I would really avoid in Pleasant Ridge are towards the bottom of Lester and the intersection of Lawndale and Montgomery. Everything else is well on the good side of average for Cincinnati as far as condition and safety.

Norwood is a bit more hit or miss, but there are some truly stunning streets. The eastern side tends to be nicer than the western side, but there are good pockets and bad pockets scattered throughout. Your realtor should help you navigate this.

A good portion of Kennedy Heights is very much like Pleasant Ridge. The other half is a lot rougher. If you can get past the overall stats and look at the nice areas only, there are quite a few attractive streets. I grew up on Davenant and I can tell you that group of streets is as quiet and safe as anything in Cincinnati.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 AM

114 posts, read 171,357 times
Quote:
You can do the same thing in Anderson Township and get a home in a much better school district.
Agreed, if you were leaning towards Mt. Washington then you might as well just go with Anderson Township. However, if the OP is really looking for a walkable area with homes that have character then neither Anderson or Mt Washington really fit the bill and he should look at Norwood and P. Ridge.

My vote would be for P. Ridge simply because it has the best community feel. The impression I've gotten from friends that live there is that although the housing prices are similar to Norwood....the social / education status is kind of higher. Not in a snobby way but in a more college educated, open to diversity kind of way. Just my impression though so take it for what its worth...

Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,694,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio123 View Post
Agreed, if you were leaning towards Mt. Washington then you might as well just go with Anderson Township. However, if the OP is really looking for a walkable area with homes that have character then neither Anderson or Mt Washington really fit the bill and he should look at Norwood and P. Ridge.
Very much agree about the walkable areas of Norwood and Pleasant Ridge. Almost the entire extensive lower half of Norwood (anything before Montgomery Rd. rises up the hill to Holy Trinity Church/Indian Mound) is flat, walkable, and loaded with decent homes (especially anywhere around Ashland, Forest, and Floral Aves.). And although not as extensive as Norwood, the entire area around Pleasant Ridge's central business district is also the same.

Quote:
My vote would be for P. Ridge simply because it has the best community feel. The impression I've gotten from friends that live there is that although the housing prices are similar to Norwood....the social / education status is kind of higher. Not in a snobby way but in a more college educated, open to diversity kind of way. Just my impression though so take it for what its worth...
Agree, especially if upper Grand Vista, Parkman Place, and Kincaid are factored in. Obviously, some well-educated and sophisticated people live in such environs (and on nearby Orchard Lane/Robinson Rd., although these streets might be considered Kennedy Heights).

Old 01-30-2013, 12:52 PM

101 posts, read 149,392 times
Wow... again, thank you all for the insight! We're hopefully meeting with a realtor in the next week or so, and hopefully, she can back up the votes here for Pleasant Ridge and/or Norwood

Old 01-30-2013, 02:05 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,694,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8buckeye08 View Post
Wow... again, thank you all for the insight! We're hopefully meeting with a realtor in the next week or so, and hopefully, she can back up the votes here for Pleasant Ridge and/or Norwood
Glad to hear about your renewed interest in these two communities-- a lot of positives about each community. Although I grew up in and spent many young adult years in Kennedy Heights/Pleasant Ridge, my heart today is in Norwood.

Centrally located; near what matters (downtown, Hyde Park/Oakley/Rookwood; XU/UC); large & diversified Kroger @ Surrey Square; well-served by public transportation (the popular #4/#51 Metros); and decent public schools & services.

Only a little more than a year ago, my wife and I moved to central Norwood from a long sojourn in Franklin, Ohio--probably with the same preconceived reservations about the community shared by many outsiders--i.e., destitute redneck paradise, poor schools, totally blighted area, sub-par public services, don't even think about it if black or Hispanic... Wrong on all accounts!

If serene streets filled with large and intriguing (but relatively inexpensive) homes are your forte, then Norwood's eastern quadrant (bordered by Smith Rd. to the north, I-71 to the east, Dana Ave. to the south, and Montgomery Rd. to the west) may be the ideal place to look. Numerous serene (almost bucolic) side streets running off of Ashland/Floral/ Forest; the upscale Rookwood shopping complex (read in, Norwood) within walking distance; and easy access, either direction, to I-71. (Like Kenwood? Not all that far away. Like downtown? Only 3-5 minutes until your exit...)

Quite seriously--need I say more? Please give both Pleasant Ridge and Norwood your closest consideration.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:51 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
I like Anderson and have friends there, but you can't really compare Anderson and CPS. It is apples and oranges.
That is EXACTLY my point. Why live in the city with its mediocre schools when you can live a mile up the road and benefit from the Forest Hills School District.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,319 times
Quote:
That is EXACTLY my point. Why live in the city with its mediocre schools when you can live a mile up the road and benefit from the Forest Hills School District.
Uhh, I think you missed progmac's point, which is that CPS is not directly comparable to FHSD. Meaning you can't say one is mediocre and the other is better.

Example: Can Anderson boast the best public high school in the state? No, but CPS can.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:35 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Uhh, I think you missed progmac's point, which is that CPS is not directly comparable to FHSD. Meaning you can't say one is mediocre and the other is better.

Example: Can Anderson boast the best public high school in the state? No, but CPS can.
But Anderson can boast at least two high schools which beat anything else in the CPS system, and which you are pretty assured of attending if you live there, no testing required.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
But Anderson can boast at least two high schools which beat anything else in the CPS system, and which you are pretty assured of attending if you live there, no testing required.
Doubtful. SCPA is also a high school, as is Walnut Hills and Withrow. I doubt there is anything in Anderson that is comparable.

I am not sure how auditioning or taking an entrance exam is a bad thing, unless one is worried their kid won't cut the mustard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati