U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 10:53 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,831,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8buckeye08 View Post
I guess I meant transitional neighborhood, as it sits in between some vastly different neighborhoods and whatever particular area you are in Pleasant Ridge seems to be greatly affected by the closest neighborhood. Again, that's based about an hour or so's driving on a wintry Sunday afternoon, so it might feel completely different on a nice day when people are out and about.
It's hard to get the vibe of a neighborhood from within a car. Best thing to do (IMO) along with driving is get out and walk around a bit. Perhaps you did that, perhaps it was too cold, etc.

On the other hand, it's cool that Pleasant Ridge isn't for you. You are the one who would have to live there, and in the Cincinnati area there are so many options that cover a broad spectrum. It wouldn't make sense to settle. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,520,543 times
Quote:
I'd say the neighborhoods listed had more to do with our price range (120-160) and wanting a house with some character and some walkability. To get that in Oakley, we'd be looking at a 2BR at the very edge of Oakley. I'd personally like to look in NKY (Ft. Thomas, specifically) as my job's by NKU, but wife's job is off in the Loveland/Indian Hill area, so right now, we're looking on this side of the river.

Basically, what we want is a home with the character of Walnut Hills or Westwood in a neighborhood as safe and quaint as Mariemont, with the walkability of downtown or OTR, 5-minute commutes downhill both ways, and a 1/2 acre yard with a white picket fence at Norwood prices.

Thanks again for the input!
Take your wife on a tour of Newport, on the streets east of Washington Ave. She might be more okay with the commute (which is not insane) when she sees what's available. Fort Thomas is another area to look around, as you indicated.

Newport is pretty safe, and has character and walkability along the lines of rougher urban neighborhoods you mentioned across the river. Pretty stunning tree-lined streets, IMO.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,371,704 times
Quote:
Thank you again for all of the interesting posts. I drove around Pleasant Ridge over the weekend and there was a lot to like and a lot to second-guess, so I think it's still an option, but not quite the panacea I was hoping for (but certainly did not seem like the den of crime that the in-laws make it out to be).

Completely off the wall, there is a house in Madiera that my wife found that is ideal for many different factors (walkability, safety, character of home) and is at the upper threshold of our budget, but the taxes are ridiculous. Is ~$400 a month for a $160k house accurate or would that be adjusted based on the sale price of the home???

Besides that, I think we are leaning towards Anderson for the time being, which neither of us are in love with, but it checks off many of our boxes.

Thanks again everyone!
I am curious as to the type of house you located in Madeira at $160k. I grew up there and my parents house which they lived in for 60 years from 1945 to 2005 was a simple 6 room 2-bed Cape Cod. When I looked it up recently on the county web site it most recently had sold for $183,000, which just floored me. I know values have dropped, but it is still valued at $156,000 and annual property taxes are $3828 or $310 per month. I enjoyed growing up in Madeira and living there for 11 years before moving to Mason. I know it is still a good place to live, but the prices have gotten out of hand. Very modest 6 room cape cods at $160,000 and high taxes to boot. It is the main reason I do not put Madeira high on my recommendations list.

I went back and looked up my old house in Madeira, the one I lived in for 11 years. The pictrures on the web site are hard to interpet, because the trees have become so large, But that is it, a small 3-bed , single bath ranch. Current evaulation $156,000, current annual taxes $3745 per year or $312 per month. Because it was so long ago the county web site does not have what we sold it for in 1976, which was $40,500. We bought it in 1965 for $14,500. I basically made enough off of it to buy a much bigger house in Mason without increasing my mortgage payments much. You could do that back then, not today.

My current house in Mason is a 9-room, 5-bed 2-story on an acre lot. It is older, built 1973, and evaluated at $145,000 with an annual tax bill of $2410.00 or $201 per month. Do you still want to know why I am so pleased I moved to Mason?

Old 02-08-2013, 12:57 PM

213 posts, read 539,268 times
I would stay away from Mount Washington. The area is declining rapidly. It reminds me of Westwood when I lived there in the 80's. A nice area that was beginning to decline at a rapid pace. I lived on the Mt. Washington / Anderson border for 3 years and just recently over the summer was lucky enough to sell my house and move away.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,120 times
I currently live in Pleasant Ridge and although the area used to be really nice with young professionals, that is not so anymore. My 5 year old has learned the difference between fireworks and gun shots. In one night the was a murder up one block and another down one block, unrelated. Another incident was a drive by shooting across the street on Montgomery Rd. They built projects near Langdon Farm Rd and has brought in more violence. My uncle was a sheriff (now retired) and warned us about the increased violence near here, I should have listened. Not recommended in today's world. We are currently looking to buy a house and get the hell out of here, we've been here for 5 1/2 yes now. The person above saying lowest crime rate? Seriously?!? Do they live here and hear the shots every week? There was a murder this past week a few blocks from here, look it up. Unusual fire is right on the money.

I used to live in Mt Washington when it was nice but most of my friends currently living there has said how bad it's getting there and even running into Anderson. They are currently looking to sell before value goes down and they want out. Another unrecommended area, sadly. It's unfortunate because I attended Mt Washington Elementary and loved it there.

And for Norwood, well, if you're white and racist...you'll fit right in. Truth. It's been a white racist city since before I was born. I try and avoid it as much as possible and I'm a few miles from there. I'll rather take the long way around to Oakley.

Now Oakley used to be bad when I grew up there after moving from Mt Washington and they have really put a lot of work into the neighborhood. It's a great community for younger couples and 30 something's. Lot's of shops, a park and less crime.

I know it sucks when the 3 areas you are looking into turns out to be bad neighborhoods but I'd rather you know now rather than later.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:19 PM

I'd like to add that if you do buy in Anderson, buy further east and away from Mt Washington. Mason is a great area with a lot of things to do and the schools are decent. The commute from my moms off of Tylersville to my house in P Ridge is about 22 minutes. Good luck on your search :-)

Old 01-16-2014, 05:29 PM

Oh shoot, just realized this was a year ago, lol

Old 01-16-2014, 08:03 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,942,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citygirl99 View Post
Oh shoot, just realized this was a year ago, lol
That's OK, 'cause you weren't the one who revived the thread. Welcome!
It's just as well the OP probably found their perfect home no later than March of '13, given the baseless paranoia projected by the person who did bring the thread back. No homicides have occurred in Pleasant Ridge recently, nor have any "projects" been opened around there. And "Nortucky" is a thing of the past. Norwood has been "discovered" by more educated people, drawn by attractive and relatively affordable homes and spurred on by Rookwood, and is increasingly diverse. Reports of the demise of Mt Washington are also greatly exaggerated.
Now it's time to put this discussion back into the attic.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:39 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,731,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citygirl99 View Post
I currently live in Pleasant Ridge and although the area used to be really nice with young professionals, that is not so anymore. My 5 year old has learned the difference between fireworks and gun shots. In one night the was a murder up one block and another down one block, unrelated. Another incident was a drive by shooting across the street on Montgomery Rd. They built projects near Langdon Farm Rd and has brought in more violence. My uncle was a sheriff (now retired) and warned us about the increased violence near here, I should have listened. Not recommended in today's world. We are currently looking to buy a house and get the hell out of here, we've been here for 5 1/2 yes now. The person above saying lowest crime rate? Seriously?!? Do they live here and hear the shots every week? There was a murder this past week a few blocks from here, look it up. Unusual fire is right on the money.

I used to live in Mt Washington when it was nice but most of my friends currently living there has said how bad it's getting there and even running into Anderson. They are currently looking to sell before value goes down and they want out. Another unrecommended area, sadly. It's unfortunate because I attended Mt Washington Elementary and loved it there.

And for Norwood, well, if you're white and racist...you'll fit right in. Truth. It's been a white racist city since before I was born. I try and avoid it as much as possible and I'm a few miles from there. I'll rather take the long way around to Oakley.

Now Oakley used to be bad when I grew up there after moving from Mt Washington and they have really put a lot of work into the neighborhood. It's a great community for younger couples and 30 something's. Lot's of shops, a park and less crime.

I know it sucks when the 3 areas you are looking into turns out to be bad neighborhoods but I'd rather you know now rather than later.
We've been in PR 4 years to your 5.5 and I haven't noticed any significant changes

Old 01-17-2014, 08:01 AM

101 posts, read 149,500 times
Just wanted to check in since I saw this pop up. We bought in Mt. Washington and really like it so far. We are on the 'better' side of Mt. Washington, so we've yet to see any crime or any other issues. We live on a great little street and enjoy it a lot. I appreciate everyone's insight and advice and apologize for not responding before that. I think we may have slightly overpaid, but we also hit the interest rates at the perfect time, so I like to think it balances out.

Goyguy, I like your comment about the "reports of Mt. Washington's demise". It would be nice if we could clean up the atmosphere of the main strip on Beechmont. It's a big neighborhood and the area most people identify Mt. Washington with really is not representative of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati