U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 AM

101 posts, read 149,392 times

Advertisements

Back looking at houses and wanted to see what the general concensus is on the following areas. My wife currently has found a house she loves in Mt. Washington. I like the house, but I'm not really crazy about Mt. Washington. Just finding out about Pleasant Ridge from online searches and I really like that area.

Basically, there are 3 areas that I see ourselves moving to: Mt. Washington, Pleasant Ridge, Norwood (area near Rookwood) & maybe some older stock in Anderson.

I'd say her biggest concern is safety and mine is probably tied between safety, walkability, feeling of community, and houses with "character". We're not having kids for at least another year or two and this is our starter home, so I'd expect we'll live there for about 10 years, so quality of school is a consideration but not the end-all, be-all.

So, how would you rate each area? Any additional items of consideration or certain parts of these neighborhoods to avoid? Also, we want to be in a place that will keep (or, preferably) build its value, so I guess I'd be interested to know which direction these neighborhoods are trending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 AM

Forgot to add at the end there, I really appreciate any advice you have!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 AM

50 posts, read 65,445 times
Personally I have not spent a lot of time in Mt Washington, but have lived in Pleasant Ridge for about 5 years. We really enjoy it. There is a decent enough "downtown" that you can walk to get a gallon of milk or grab a beer, take the kids to the library or playground/swimming pool. It is not the hippest trendiest, but it has ammenitites.

I personally have never felt unsafe walking in P Ridge. You see tons of people walking around during the day. I am more aware when walking at night, especially later (which has been my standard, regardless of the city I am in). You do hear of the occasional rash of property crimes, but I don't know that it would be any more pronounced than the other neighborhoods you are considering.

There is definitely a sense of community pride here. Some of this centers around the two schools (PRM and Nativity), but I think a lot of it is tied to the neighborhood in general. People genuinely like living there and care about what happens to the neighborhood.

As far as housing stock, I would suggest staying "up the hill", north/NE of Langdon Farm. It's easier to walk to things if you don't have to schlep up the hills. And my general impression is that streets get a little "less nice" the further you go down the hills, towards either Norwood or Columbia Township (if travelling south on Ridge). There is no shortage of houses with character here.

I think overall property values have held their own. I don't think our house has greatly appreciated or depreciated, which is ok given the market. Overall we have witnessed growth in the amount/type of businesses lately, but nothing exponential. There are still issues with vacancies in the "business district."

A lot of these things probably describe other neighborhoods you are looking at (and neighborhoods in general); the biggest advantage I think P Ridge has over Mt Washington is ease to get around - it is much easier to get downtown, to the West Side, even other places on the East Side. The area around Rookwood has easy access as well, but I'm not sure how all the new building over there will affect traffic patterns in the future, which would be my one caution towards that area.

Sorry for the novel!

Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,319 times
I'd say:

1. P-Ridge
2. Norwood
3. Mt. Washington

I am not bullish on Mt. Washington; I have heard anecdotes about it being in decline, and given it's a city neighborhood on the fringe, that doesn't bode well for it in terms of general housing trends. Norwood is fairly stable and safe in most parts. I think Pleasant Ridge is about the same as Norwood in safety, maybe a little better, has stability, a nice walkable NBD, and a good sense of community.

Someone who knows better can argue this, but I think P-Ridge is a little higher on the class spectrum than Norwood, which might be a bad thing if you want a more working class community. Both of those have good marks on all your criteria, though, so I think both are quite suitable. Find a place you like between the two.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:16 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,726,919 times
what's your budget?

i think that you have narrowed your choices down to three solid and similar middle class neighborhoods. all three keep it real, as i like to say. norwood and pleasant ridge have similar early 20th century housing and connected streets. mt washington has more mid century housing and less connected streets (cul-de-sacs). all three are fine middle-class neighborhoods with good pockets and moderate to bad pockets and great neighborhood spots (parks, bars, libraries, etc.)

norwood and pleasant ridge have more buzz about them, i think. but i think mt washington is quietly holding its own with its more suburban character.

i would be concerned about city services -- or at least look into that-- of living in norwood versus cincinnati (mt washington & p-ridge are both in Cincy).

you may also throw hartwell into your mix of neighborhoods to consider.

Last edited by progmac; 01-29-2013 at 01:24 PM..

Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM

Thank you all for your input!

Looking at houses in the 110-160 range (probably shooting for about a $130-140k house when all is said and done).

Old 01-29-2013, 06:33 PM

109 posts, read 134,528 times
Yea, I would implore you to steer clear of Mt. Washington. That neighborhood has been on the decline for the past couple of decades. Lots of crime, drugs, Section 8, etc.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8buckeye08 View Post
Thank you all for your input!

Looking at houses in the 110-160 range (probably shooting for about a $130-140k house when all is said and done).
You can do the same thing in Anderson Township and get a home in a much better school district.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,302,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandalay84 View Post
Yea, I would implore you to steer clear of Mt. Washington. That neighborhood has been on the decline for the past couple of decades. Lots of crime, drugs, Section 8, etc.
Same could be said about PRidge and Norwood. Pleasant Ridge has had a few murders the past several years. I have not heard of any in Mt Washington. Wait they did have one. A neighbor killed another neighbor about 2 years ago.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:50 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Same could be said about PRidge and Norwood. Pleasant Ridge has had a few murders the past several years. I have not heard of any in Mt Washington. Wait they did have one. A neighbor killed another neighbor about 2 years ago.
hey please don't throw the other neighborhoods under the bus because vandalay did so with mt washington.

pleasant ridge has the lowest crime rate of any neighborhood in cincinnati. all three are pretty safe. one night i left my car doors literally standing open, all four of them. i was packing for a trip and got sidetracked and went to bed. nothing happened of course.

when i lived in norwood i left a 1000$ computer on my doorstep for a weekend. it was delivered without signature confirmation. in a big white box with a picture of the contents on the outside (this was a computer called an eMac) whoops. again, nothing happened.

Last edited by progmac; 01-30-2013 at 05:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati