Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Bruh...that's the building they currently occupy.
Yeah, that is an industrial building they renovated.

I doubt the new building will look anything like that. It will be interesting to see what the building will be. What I don't quite understand is why they even let the talk of a taller building with residential at the top even get started if that was not their intent.

But if the City feels slighted, I am sure Mason will gladly offer for them to build it out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Yeah, that is an industrial building they renovated.

I doubt the new building will look anything like that. It will be interesting to see what the building will be. What I don't quite understand is why they even let the talk of a taller building with residential at the top even get started if that was not their intent.

But if the City feels slighted, I am sure Mason will gladly offer for them to build it out here.
A company like dunnhumby wouldn't locate in an outer suburb if it were given a free building. They'd never be able to recruit, attract and retain the kind of talent they need if they were in a generic office park off the highway. If not downtown Cincinnati, they would would be in a place like Chicago or NYC.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 02-02-2013 at 11:28 AM..

Old 02-02-2013, 11:34 AM

^^ I guess that is why P&G located their Global Health Care Headquarters in Mason, the impossibility of recruiting the talent to operate a global business. I know several people who work there and they simply love the fact they can live in a country club environment (there are 3 within a short distance of P&G) with a 10 minute commute, never getting on an expressway.

But perhaps when you are actually trying to create a product your attitude is a little different. Just leave me alone in my environment, let me do my job and hopefully be productive, but permit me to go home and enjoy my life and kids.

I do agree with your summary of dunnhumby since they are just a glorified consulting firm. They had better keep their visibility out in front of their customers so they don't forget them. True they have been successful with rapid growth. But that has occurred before with a collapse just as fast as the growth. Not that I am wishing that on them, but they are wise in not biting off too much.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:02 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,037 times
^It's not there anymore.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:03 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
^ Gawd, kjbrill--just when I imaged that you were finally becoming an urban Cincinnati booster! (This is all very disappointing, to say the least!)

Old 02-02-2013, 12:19 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
^^ I guess that is why P&G located their Global Health Care Headquarters in Mason, the impossibility of recruiting the talent to operate a global business. I know several people who work there and they simply love the fact they can live in a country club environment (there are 3 within a short distance of P&G) with a 10 minute commute, never getting on an expressway.

But perhaps when you are actually trying to create a product your attitude is a little different. Just leave me alone in my environment, let me do my job and hopefully be productive, but permit me to go home and enjoy my life and kids.

I do agree with your summary of dunnhumby since they are just a glorified consulting firm. They had better keep their visibility out in front of their customers so they don't forget them. True they have been successful with rapid growth. But that has occurred before with a collapse just as fast as the growth. Not that I am wishing that on them, but they are wise in not biting off too much.
dunnhumby is very different from P&G (especially the Health Care wing of P&G). Part of their business strategy is to recruit young, tech-savvy creative-types. They actively recruit a demographic which largely prefers an urban lifestyle. I don't know if that makes sense to you, but it's part of the contemporary world.

Tech companies in the Bay Area are starting to locate in San Francisco rather than Silicon Valley, for this exact reason. Google, for example, has opened a branch office in downtown SF. Gen X was fine with the commute to SV, but the new crop of yuppies takes the U in yuppie very seriously.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:57 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,346 times
I think Mason did try to lure them out there, but Dunnhumby ruled that out pretty quickly.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:00 PM

4,481 posts, read 6,235,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
I think Mason did try to lure them out there, but Dunnhumby ruled that out pretty quickly.
Can't say I blame them. Mason is about as bland as it gets to me. I went out that way for a couple weeks to earn some extra money not too long ago doing trim carpentry. Big box and chain hell. Very homogenized. But that's just me.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Mason wants to take everything. From businesses to Kings Island. Ponzi scheme if there ever was one.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
dunnhumby is very different from P&G (especially the Health Care wing of P&G). Part of their business strategy is to recruit young, tech-savvy creative-types. They actively recruit a demographic which largely prefers an urban lifestyle. I don't know if that makes sense to you, but it's part of the contemporary world.

Tech companies in the Bay Area are starting to locate in San Francisco rather than Silicon Valley, for this exact reason. Google, for example, has opened a branch office in downtown SF. Gen X was fine with the commute to SV, but the new crop of yuppies takes the U in yuppie very seriously.
Please relate just what is tech-savvy about dunnhumby. Are you talking computer systems, databases, statistical analysis, what is the technical component? Recruiting people who want to live and work in an urban environment is their choice. It makes sense to me in that they can stick them into a homogeneous corporate environment built on team concepts, feed them full of individual achievement ideals, and then make sure they follow a tight corporate line.

To me tech-savvy is a highly overworked term. True, computers and data anlysis play a large role in many endeavors today, to the point they have been reduced to a tool. You either understand how to use the tool or you don't. But I consider pharmaceuticals, medical equipment and procedures such as CAT-Scans, MRI, microsopic sugery, chemicals, electronics, mechanical and architectural design, and such to be where the real technical stuff happens. The techies who work for NASA are about 20 rungs up the technical ladder from anyone working for dunnhumby or Google.

Yes, I do understand some of the so-called tech world. A number of years ago, the guy I worked for recommended our company replace virtually all of our information technology systems with ones running a software package called SAP out of Germany. It is identified as Enterprise Software. Note it is not just corporate or company management software but Enterprise.

The company's best-known software products are its enterprise resource planning application (SAP ERP), its enterprise data warehouse product – SAP Business Warehouse (SAP BW), SAP BusinessObjects software, and most recently, Sybase mobile products and in-memory computing appliance SAP HANA. SAP is one of the largest software companies in the world.

My boss pushed to implement it in our company and our president was all for it as it sounded like the total solution. Since we were Japanese owned my boss went to Japan to convince them to implement this. They looked at this and politely came back and said NO. My boss decided to show them how wrong they were and to lead the company to the next level, and went ahead.

Two years later we had nothing which worked and about broke the financial back of the company. Turned out SAP had only one way of operating - their way. You make everything conform to their business model no matter how far itr deviated from yours. The coo de gra was when we reached July 1 of the years and they could not deliver the final year-end economic statement of the company which was for the prior Dec 31st. Within 2 weeks my boss and the company president had been replaced. I used to talk with others and say if you really want to be a big sap, get tied up with SAP.

SAP is still one of the largest software companies in the world. So not everyone has the samed experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati