Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 AM

682 posts, read 1,629,205 times

Advertisements

The real key is trending of data and for people who are interested in that sort of thing you may want to contact your local police district and speak with their community liason officer. At least in district 3, (and I am sure the other districts probably do this too), they have a monthly report. I get mine via email and it not only shows me the number and type of runs but where they occurred. This is important for me as I can then break those numbers down to crime that occurred in my neighborhood.

Last month there were 4 incidents in my neighborhood and they were all associated with rental properties. We follow up and contact the owners of the rental rpoperties and advise them after there are more that 3 incidents at a given address. If the owner is unresponsive then we look at inspection issues with the property and violations of city ordinance. Often these are illegal rentals (not registered with county) or illegally converted to multi family.

Generally speaking, these properties get cleaned up and the problem tenants decide to move elsewhere, where people do not complain.

My point is that crime is going down and in the case of our area as more an more owner occupants are moving in who are invested in their community, it gets better. You just have to make an effort and stay involved.

And posters are right, it is local, One or two houses, with a lot of runs, can skew the numbers up quickly. Thats why it is important to follow these things but not get panicky if there is an uptick. There should be an uptick when people realize the neighborhood is changing and its "OK" to call the police when you see a crime being committed. Right now thats what is happening in Priice Hill for example, people who were afraid to report things now feel more empowered because of all the restorations and new projects going on over there and call the police. I suspect if you could somehow count "unreported crime" Fay apartments would have the highest crime rate in the city.

When I look at the numbers and compare them to other cities, what passes for "high crime areas' in Cincinnati would be considered low crime in other major cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,581 times
Probably even less crime in Mason now. I've only been here for 2 weeks. Loving it so far!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,794,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Probably even less crime in Mason now. I've only been here for 2 weeks. Loving it so far!
Welcome Max. Hope I did not mislead you. Mason is a mixture of old and new. I am obsiouvly an advocate and also an old resident.

What I like the most is I can drive all over Mason, see everything from modest dwellings to well over $1 Million plus, and never feel I have crossed too many economic boundaries. I am not so naive to know they exist, what pleases me they are coexisting.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,489 times
download crimestat 3 or the updated version and start mapping crime and have real accurate data referencing the same.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:22 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,794,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Welcome Max. Hope I did not mislead you. Mason is a mixture of old and new. I am obsiouvly an advocate and also an old resident.

What I like the most is I can drive all over Mason, see everything from modest dwellings to well over $1 Million plus, and never feel I have crossed too many economic boundaries. I am not so naive to know they exist, what pleases me they are coexisting.
Well Max, I see you are now a resident of Mason for a little over a year. Did I mislead you? From what I see in some other threads I did not.

And I believe if a childless couple with the hubby working in Mason, and I advise them to live in Mason, that is good advice. There are a variety of communities in Mason. some obviously heavy with kids. But if you take the time to look around. you will find something you like. And if you are like Max, it may take awhile.

Very close to me is a development with a large number of condos. It has its own community pool and a meeting facility. Another childless couple I know have a nice one floor end unit. He is a nut as he has to cut his own grass, and plant his own flowers. He goes out and fertilizes his own grass, even theough they live in a HOA association charging them for lawn care. They have a 2-car garage, large enough they had a mud room constructed in its rear.

It is called a one-floor, but it actually has a 2nd floor loft, with a full bath, they use it as a guest room. They have furnished their unit extremely well. I can't conceive of anyone not being attracted to living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati