U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 12:30 PM

133 posts, read 154,105 times

Advertisements

I can vouch for the evening Mason to downtown area commute. Do it every weekday- I now either leave the office at 4:30pm or just go to the gym after work to kill time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,654,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
And Mason is still very sleepy. It will always be in Cincinnati's shadow, which why it's in the Cincinnati Metro. Cincinnati is not in the Mason metro. Sorry.
This ^

And kjbrill is in the Cincinnati forum of C-D, not the Mason forum.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:08 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I don't dispute it. Just that megacities aren't all that they seem. You technically have megacities on the East Coast already. Drive through Northern Virginia to Baltimore. Sure it is continuous development. But the novelty gets old quick. Particularly when it can take 3 to 4 hours to go from one end to the other.

Same with going from New York City, to the far reaches of urban New Jersey. It might seem cool, to tie Dayton and Cincinnati today in this way, but when you're actually driving it every day, or are encouraged to make that trek via public transportation every day, the novelty gets old quick. I actually like the fact that Dayton had everything I needed when I lived there.
Sounds very good to me. But I do not live there. Just how great is it to go from wheverever you live, to wherever yoy catch the rail connection to your job, and then the rail connecrtion back to where you live. Should we all aspire to ahieve this zenith of American Life?

Old 02-11-2013, 05:24 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,784,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Sounds very good to me. But I do not live there. Just how great is it to go from wheverever you live, to wherever yoy catch the rail connection to your job, and then the rail connectrion back to where you live. Should we all aspire to ahieve this zenith of American Life?
Rail between Cincinnati and Dayton would help a lot. Even if it just ran in the median of I-75 with pedestrian bridges to park-and-go locations and transit stops near each exit, that could potentially cut down on traffic to a point where I-75 might not need to be widened again in the next few years.

An interesting study came out in the late '90s which stated I-75 would need to be a 12-lane highway at minimum to accommodate predicted traffic in the year 2030. One of the main concerns of the study was what impact a highway that wide would have on the urban fabric of Cincinnati, as a highway that wide would nearly wipe out the entire city of St. Bernard. I'm assuming a highway like that couldn't do anything good for McPherson Town the Old North, or Edgemont in Dayton either.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:28 PM

864 posts, read 1,197,153 times
Quote:
Sounds very good to me. But I do not live there. Just how great is it to go from wheverever you live, to wherever yoy catch the rail connection to your job, and then the rail connecrtion back to where you live. Should we all aspire to ahieve this zenith of American Life?
I love doing that. Can't wait until the day I can do it here in Cincy. It's not for everybody, but I greatly prefer that to driving.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:36 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,303,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Rail between Cincinnati and Dayton would help a lot. Even if it just ran in the median of I-75 with pedestrian bridges to park-and-go locations and transit stops near each exit, that could potentially cut down on traffic to a point where I-75 might not need to be widened again in the next few years.

An interesting study came out in the late '90s which stated I-75 would need to be a 12-lane highway at minimum to accommodate predicted traffic in the year 2030. One of the main concerns of the study was what impact a highway that wide would have on the urban fabric of Cincinnati, as a highway that wide would nearly wipe out the entire city of St. Bernard. I'm assuming a highway like that couldn't do anything good for McPherson Town the Old North, or Edgemont in Dayton either.
^I remember one as well for I-275 across the top at full build out. It could have been the same story.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, I would love to be able to not own a car and ride rail every day, locally and over longer distances. Then I'd love to walk from the station to my home, work, etc. There's a reason Americans are obese, out-of-shape blobs and Europeans are fit.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
I love doing that. Can't wait until the day I can do it here in Cincy. It's not for everybody, but I greatly prefer that to driving.
And how far are you willing to walk? To me it was about 5-10 minutes. Why should I want more if I could drive to work in less than 10 minutes? Never made sense to me if I could drive in less time than I could walk, paticularly if parking was free.

But that is why we disagree about the suburb versus city working thing. Next month in March I will be retired 10 years. But guess what, the company I retired from is still producing jobs at an elevated salary level out here in the suburbs. I am not sure how many companies in Cincinnati can declare that after 10 years.

They are very technical jobs. No not technical from the standpoint of general computer knowledge. Yes, most of the jobs require a knowledge of working with computers on a daily basis. But knowing how to enter data into an Excel Spreadsheet will not get you very far. If you know what you can extract from that data which tells you what the % incident of failure is, maybe you are getting somewehere. But the first problem is catagorizing the type and incident of failure. It is much more complex than it appears on the surface.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:25 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,829,904 times
Quote:
But guess what, the company I retired from is still producing jobs at an elevated salary level out here in the suburbs. I am not sure how many companies in Cincinnati can declare that after 10 years.
Likely, way more than you know. Remember the link posted recently that showed lower paying jobs LEAVING Cincinnati for the suburbs? And guess what...there are 22,000 jobs per square mile in 45202. That's over 2/3 the entire population of Mason. That means there is a higher concentration of HIGH PAYING jobs in the urban core.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:39 PM

Yea, it's not like dunnhumby is exploding with growth in high-paying jobs that they're building a major new headquarters downtown or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati