U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 07:50 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,656,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
natininja...

And I remember how jogging was supposed to be so great for your well being. Most of the people I know who jogged for any prolonged period of time may appear to be fit a trim, but they are now going through knee and hip replacements just to be able to walk period.

When you hit 70 I want to see just how far you want to walk. When I was young I could play golf carrying a bag full of clubs. Now if I don't ride in a golf cart I don't play.

As far as our body shape, ask any orthopedic doctor and they will tell you we were never meant to walk upright. We are just poorly constructed for that activity.
Don't tell this to COAST, Idiot Smitherman or WLW ... they'll use this in their desperate streetcar attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 11:40 PM

688 posts, read 734,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Don't tell this to COAST, Idiot Smitherman or WLW ... they'll use this in their desperate streetcar attacks.
It's kind of off-topic, but the streetcar in Cincinnati is a horrible idea for this time. That's something you do when you have a budget surplus that you can splurge on luxuries. Instead, Cincinnati is attempting to shed a constant source of smaller income (parking) for a larger, one-time deal source of income which is nothing more than a band-aid to the hemorrhaging city fund, all while continually pushing this streetcar project.

Then again, I don't live in the city limits so it's not my call, but a bad idea for Cincinnati is a bad idea for the area as a whole.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 PM

368 posts, read 518,656 times
the street car is a waste of money imo..its not doing anything that buses dont already do.the thing that would make a difference is a modest rail line from the outer suburbs to downtown.having lived in dayton and cincy they are totally different areas for the most part..although they do share some similar areas in butler county but those are alot different say than cincys kentucky suburbs.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:24 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,521,113 times
Take it to the streetcar thread, guys.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Yes, don't clutter up this important discussion regarding Cincinnati Dayton with extraneous streetcar info.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,017,065 times
Quote:
Hi all--

All right, bringing us back to topic.

1) Fact of the matter is, Cin-Day will continue to grow together. The cities aren't nearly as culturally apart as some people would like to imagine, and I believe it to be comparable to say, Dallas-Fort Worth, Minneapolis-St.Paul, or even locally Cleveland-Akron.

2) The most hopping development will obviously be along the I-75 corridor as ODOT wisely decided to upgrade the highway through Butler and Warren Counties when the right of way was easy to acquire (that is to say, before the area was jammed with development). Expect Liberty Township, Monroe, Middletown, and Springboro to continue to grow up. I wouldn't be surprised to see more freeway interchanges built around ~mile markers 27 and 35 as development continues.

3) The media markets will begin to overlap. I recently upgraded the antenna on my car and I can pick up WEBN, Q102 and Kiss 107 from downtown Dayton, and likewise with most of Dayton's stations if I'm in Cincinnati. Most of those stations broadcast in the 10k-18k watt range. If any station gets a license to increase the wattage they could easily cover both media markets. Apart from Flyers/Raiders basketball, the entire sports page of the Dayton Daily News covers the Reds and Bengals already.

4a) At the south end, Cincinnati can leverage its culture and history plus a strong Fortune 500 presence to redevelop the city and make it an attractive place to live thus hopefully reversing the decades-long trend of population loss.

4b) Dayton can develop leveraging its location (I-75 and I-70) and marketing itself as a lower-cost alternative to Cincinnati, what with the COL especially office space being a fraction of the price it would be in Cincinnati - while still being only 40 minutes away. Plus it punches way above its weight class when it comes to the arts.

Thus you can easily have a large, combined region that can compete nationally with anyone and with two core cities that are hopping plus a ton of development in between.

Is either core city (Cincinnati or Dayton) going to return to its glory days of 500,000 and 260,000 population respectively? Probably not, because the manufacturing jobs are gone. That, and demographic trends (plus the demolition in both cities) pretty much ensure it'll never happen again in our lifetimes. But that doesn't mean the city can't perform well and serve as a solid anchor for the metro area.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,832,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi all--
Credit where it's due - Very insightful post.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:31 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,866,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
the street car is a waste of money imo..its not doing anything that buses dont already do.the thing that would make a difference is a modest rail line from the outer suburbs to downtown.having lived in dayton and cincy they are totally different areas for the most part..although they do share some similar areas in butler county but those are alot different say than cincys kentucky suburbs.
No its not...

Buses are not permanent which usually don't increase retail, offices and residential in the area, it comes after those things have been in placed, the streetcar encourages the things i listed above to come into the area giving the city more money, which sometimes means better schools and higher levels of safety.

I know many people that live in the city limits i have even asked one of them (my nephew) who lives near the zoo if he would take the streetcar, he said yes he would love to take it since it doesn't involve car traffic like buses get into. If the streetcars are priced low he said since he doesn't have much money. Since most people who live downtown don't have cars and take the bus i think this will be a great use, but again it has to do with how much money it is to ride the streetcar system. No offense my city of Cincinnati but many people in the city limits are low to middle class except for a few professionals in the heart of downtown that continues to increase rapidly.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:41 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,866,409 times
Quote:
^^ The cognitive dissonance is deafening.
okay...

Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,521,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
okay...
One carrot would have been addressing you. Two carrots means it's for two posts above mine.

(Originally I had one carrot, but your post snuck in before I hit send and I had to edit it and add another.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati