U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2013, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
5,581 posts, read 5,390,012 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
This has been going on since the 1970s or earlier.

This book:

Close-Up: How to Read the American City, Clay

..came out in the ealry 1970s, and in it the author makes an example of a similar push at that time..."Megacity 70-75"....which was an earlier marketing ploy pitching Dayton as good central location.

The author provides a map from the marketing campaign showing the couties and populations or incomes around the intersection of I-75/I-70 and comments how this was a good example of distorting the truth with maps since the map example omitted all mention of the much larger Cincinnati in one of the counties shown.
I don't dispute it. Just that megacities aren't all that they seem. You technically have megacities on the East Coast already. Drive through Northern Virginia to Baltimore. Sure it is continuous development. But the novelty gets old quick. Particularly when it can take 3 to 4 hours to go from one end to the other.

Same with going from New York City, to the far reaches of urban New Jersey. It might seem cool, to tie Dayton and Cincinnati today in this way, but when you're actually driving it every day, or are encouraged to make that trek via public transportation every day, the novelty gets old quick. I actually like the fact that Dayton had everything I needed when I lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2013, 10:54 AM
 
Location: "Daytonnati"
4,245 posts, read 5,763,631 times
Reputation: 2958
^
sure..agree. The author was sort of poking fun at the concept, though.

There's this bragging rights aspect to all this that I find sort of negative (Cincinnati-Dayton has 3 MILLION PEOPLE...were so big now..woo-hoo), as well as the congestion issue you brought up that would happen if there really was a big carpet of suburban srpawl unrolled btw Cincy and Dayton.

In a more general sense....

....I take more of a European, or German, view of whats going on...seeing this akin to the type of urban regions ones finds overseas. Like the Rhine-Main Region (Frankfurt/Mainz/Hanau/Wiesband/Darmstadt) or the Ruhr (a bunch of different cities + Dusseldorf), or Lancashire (Liverpool, Manchester, + collection of smaller factory cities, and the "across the river" area called the Wirral).

This regional POV seems to aknowlege differences in character between cities and towns, yet understands the proximity and benefits of proximity (like coordinated mass transit...which we don't have yet).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
5,581 posts, read 5,390,012 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
sure..agree. The author was sort of poking fun at the concept, though.

There's this bragging rights aspect to all this that I find sort of negative (Cincinnati-Dayton has 3 MILLION PEOPLE...were so big now..woo-hoo), as well as the congestion issue you brought up that would happen if there really was a big carpet of suburban srpawl unrolled btw Cincy and Dayton.

In a more general sense....

....I take more of a European, or German, view of whats going on...seeing this akin to the type of urban regions ones finds overseas. Like the Rhine-Main Region (Frankfurt/Mainz/Hanau/Wiesband/Darmstadt) or the Ruhr (a bunch of different cities + Dusseldorf), or Lancashire (Liverpool, Manchester, + collection of smaller factory cities, and the "across the river" area called the Wirral).

This regional POV seems to aknowlege differences in character between cities and towns, yet understands the proximity and benefits of proximity (like coordinated mass transit...which we don't have yet).
That might work though. Where I'm at in Norfolk, VA it can take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half to get out of the metro. Metro is 1.7 Million. It isn't really rural in between this area, and Richmond metro though; heavily forested, so you can't really see what it is but all I know is there are continually exits and entrances onto the highway the entire run.

I like the European model a lot better. Long as it isn't Paris; poor people out in the suburbs and all of the upper middle class to rich in the inner city. Then again that doesn't sound quite as bad as it seems ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
688 posts, read 735,428 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Lather, rinse, repeat ... It's been days since we've touched on this tired topic.
I apologize as I did not see any topic involving this in the first three pages of the forum, which dates back to more than a month ago.


Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
It is all about making Dayton seem larger than it is and a boost to the psyche of Daytonians. Can't tell you how many times I heard about this when I lived in Dayton.

Does it make any difference at the end of the day? Not really. Just looks good on paper, that's all.
Meh, I live in the Cincinnati area. To me, it's more about getting an actual relevant number of residents in the entire conglomerate. If Baltimore-Washington DC are a metro? Why not Cincinnati-Dayton? They're quite similar.

But yes, it's mostly about what it looks like it on paper, just like any other metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Covington, KY
1,879 posts, read 2,127,568 times
Reputation: 595
Much of the above commentary overlooks the real fact that Dayton has northern suburbs and Cincinnati has southern suburbs, so the fifty miles is a valid point.

Those northern suburbs do seem to feel some connection to the upper part of the Miami Valley (which admittedly runs to the Ohio River). Those southern suburbs do claim a connection to points south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 11:45 AM
 
2,492 posts, read 3,660,179 times
Reputation: 1385
I already have near daily interaction with both cities, the cultures of both cities are closely intertwined, the cities share countless amenities (sports teams, radio stations, local restaurant chains, airports, etc.), people work in one and live in the other, there is seemless development between the two cities ...

Cincinnati-Dayton is already one large metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati
4,007 posts, read 4,837,249 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I already have near daily interaction with both cities, the cultures of both cities are closely intertwined, the cities share countless amenities (sports teams, radio stations, local restaurant chains, airports, etc.), people work in one and live in the other, there is seemless development between the two cities ...

Cincinnati-Dayton is already one large metro.
I feel the same way because I have lived in Dayton, and now Cincinnati. I have always had reason to travel to the other for one reason or another. I also own property in Dayton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati (Norwood)
3,386 posts, read 3,710,280 times
Reputation: 1759
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
The "two cities" are fifty miles apart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Lather, rinse, repeat ... It's been days since we've touched on this tired topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I already have near daily interaction with both cities, the cultures of both cities are closely intertwined, the cities share countless amenities (sports teams, radio stations, local restaurant chains, airports, etc.), people work in one and live in the other, there is seemless development between the two cities ...

Cincinnati-Dayton is already one large metro.
Sorry about your luck, Peasant & Ohiogirl, but any suggestions of CIN-DAY being either imaginary or tired resides in your own heads--both of of you "get the gong" for minimizing what is dynamically transpiring between these two major southwestern Ohio cities. (Shame on you both!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
5,581 posts, read 5,390,012 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Much of the above commentary overlooks the real fact that Dayton has northern suburbs and Cincinnati has southern suburbs, so the fifty miles is a valid point.

Those northern suburbs do seem to feel some connection to the upper part of the Miami Valley (which admittedly runs to the Ohio River). Those southern suburbs do claim a connection to points south.
Yeah but then you're getting into Cincinnati's connection with Kentucky, and Dayton's connection with areas that sit in between it and Columbus, which isn't quite as interesting. Places like Yellow Springs, or perhaps Fairfield, Xenia, etc. People seem to have a fixation with how these cities tie together, rather than the rest of their suburbia/exurbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati(Silverton)
1,577 posts, read 2,307,512 times
Reputation: 651
We will know June 6th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top