U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-01-2014, 10:08 AM
 
133 posts, read 154,297 times
Reputation: 89

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
What powers the assembly line to make those products? Where does the design expertise come from to build the necessary equipment? What moves it? Advanced manufacturing capabilities straight from Ohio.
Yes exactly. Believe it or not kjbrill there's a lot of advanced manufacturing involved with the broad portfolio of P&G products, even if the product itself seems quite simplistic to you. That being said, it's not like P&G has a significant amount of plants in this region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2014, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Mason, OH
9,259 posts, read 13,383,973 times
Reputation: 1920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpens View Post
Yes exactly. Believe it or not kjbrill there's a lot of advanced manufacturing involved with the broad portfolio of P&G products, even if the product itself seems quite simplistic to you. That being said, it's not like P&G has a significant amount of plants in this region.
I strongly doubt P&G designs and produces their own processing equipment. It is not in their interest to be operating machine or welding shops, etc. I expect they subcontract all of that work to specialty suppliers. They must be involved in the specifications obviously, but actual design and fabrication I seriously doubt it. If you need a warehousing solution you go to some place like Forte Industries In Mason, that is their speciality. You don't just go out and start buying conveyors hoping what you put together will work.

Years ago Kroger did a considerable amount of actual food processing for their in-store brand, much of it right here in Cincinnati. Then somebody wised up and said this is not our business, we are in the business of selling, not processing. So they began farming out the processing of their in-store brands. I am not sure they do any processing today directly under their control with their employees.

BTW, did you notice about everyone in the business switched to same new style of toothpaste tube at the same time? Someone did a good sales job there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2014, 11:56 AM
 
133 posts, read 154,297 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I strongly doubt P&G designs and produces their own processing equipment. It is not in their interest to be operating machine or welding shops, etc. I expect they subcontract all of that work to specialty suppliers. They must be involved in the specifications obviously, but actual design and fabrication I seriously doubt it. If you need a warehousing solution you go to some place like Forte Industries In Mason, that is their speciality. You don't just go out and start buying conveyors hoping what you put together will work.
Depends on the situation, actually. Yes, the suppliers are the ones doing the vast majority of the work when a product is ready for mass production. There are definitely some things that are done in-house, however, especially when new products are in final development phases. Even in terms of your warehousing solution example, P&G operates plenty of its own, albeit with some contractor assistance for menial tasks within.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2014, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati(Silverton)
1,577 posts, read 2,306,225 times
Reputation: 651
P&G can use the grants for something they have been thinking of for a long time. GE too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2014, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Mason, OH
9,259 posts, read 13,383,973 times
Reputation: 1920
Operating a warehouse is distinctly different from building one. Product development varies considerably. Obviously a bulk product like paper goods must quickly become a high speed process. But it is not like they just started yesterday. They have a wealth of experience to draw on, and so do the people they contract with. It is not often they need to come up with something totally new. It is more likely take this design, tweak it here and tweak it there and we will have what we need.

And did you ever hear of jerry-rigging. I am sure a lot of that goes on too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2014, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati(Silverton)
1,577 posts, read 2,306,225 times
Reputation: 651
Don't forget the two cities 49 miles apart came together to make this happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2014, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati (Norwood)
3,383 posts, read 3,705,890 times
Reputation: 1753
^ An important observation that I hope didn't go unnoticed... Combined, the two cities comprising "CIN-DAY" become closer every day. Only the blind cannot see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2014, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Mason, OH
9,259 posts, read 13,383,973 times
Reputation: 1920
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ An important observation that I hope didn't go unnoticed... Combined, the two cities comprising "CIN-DAY" become closer every day. Only the blind cannot see.
I think everyone can see it. I just don't see any reason to "Push" it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2014, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati
152 posts, read 140,558 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I think everyone can see it. I just don't see any reason to "Push" it.
Just think Kjbrill if Cincinnati and Dayton were officially combined it would give you a whole new city's discussion board to drive insane!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2014, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Mason, OH
9,259 posts, read 13,383,973 times
Reputation: 1920
Quote:
Originally Posted by immersedincincy View Post
Just think Kjbrill if Cincinnati and Dayton were officially combined it would give you a whole new city's discussion board to drive insane!
I do think Cincinnati and Dayton will combine, but I don't think it will be that fast. Trying to 'Push' them together to me has no advantage. Let the natural business forces drive it that way. Artificial forces rarely turn out the way you plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top