U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 06:16 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,773,921 times

Advertisements

Having Cincy close at hand helps make Dayton liveable.

For example I listen to WNKU, which is a public radio station based in northern Kentucky, but functions as part of the Cincy market...and there's a lot more to do in the way of shopping and variety in Cincy. So its like living the the further out suburbs of a major metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 06:33 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,801,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
OK, talk about sheer ignorance. But blind optimism is not going to make it happen either. I believe there has to be something called a vested interest, somebody has to own something, make something, sell something, to cause a change in economic environment. When that comes these changes will occur. Until then it is just talk. That's not taking anything away from Dayton or Cincinnati. It is just simple economics.

I just wish NCR was still in Dayton. They brought a lot of class to the place. The golf courses they built rivaled Firestone in Akron, top class.

Of course I guess you have to realize Firestone is really no more, bought out by Bridgestone of Japan (wonder where they got that name from).
Old NCR was a class operation. NCR under Mark Hurd was a great operation. NCR under Bill Nutti is a half step above Foxconn, maybe...

Also - thanks motorman and Ohiogirl81!

Old 06-02-2014, 06:42 PM

465 posts, read 500,816 times
Quote:
Having Cincy close at hand helps make Dayton liveable.

For example I listen to WNKU, which is a public radio station based in northern Kentucky, but functions as part of the Cincy market...and there's a lot more to do in the way of shopping and variety in Cincy. So its like living the the further out suburbs of a major metro area.
The shared economy does work a bit both directions, Dayton Dragons games are a fun, cheap alternative to the Reds, and Dayton does sometimes have some interesting cultural programs, displays or events that have drawn us North. I mentioned in another thread that I fly into or out of Dayton as often as I do CVG. Given that the bulk of new housing construction in the region continues to be right between the two cities, it's just a matter of time before it's completely infilled. There needs to be more large scale, corporate trading and investment shared between the cities, but it does seem close to becoming a single metro given the population shifts.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:44 PM

1,578 posts, read 2,310,511 times
Consolidation is everywhere. I can see the 2 metro's as one media market. The affiliates will eventually merge. No since in having the over lapping markets.

The 2 will need to work on a commuter rail system. If Salt lake city/Provo or Orlando can do it i'm sure SW Ohio can.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:48 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,410,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Old NCR was a class operation. NCR under Mark Hurd was a great operation. NCR under Bill Nutti is a half step above Foxconn, maybe...

Also - thanks motorman and Ohiogirl81!
So, are you saying NCR County Club is not the stellar place it used to be? Wonder Why? Maybe the demise of NCR in Dayton had something to do with that? I do wonder.

Are the patrons of NCR Country Club now having to pay fees to keep it up? Bet they are, and not cheap. That's what happens when one of your best industrial patrons just picks up and leaves town. Like it or not Dayton, NCR just dumped on your ass.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:38 PM

148 posts, read 169,078 times
I joined NCR C.C. in the late 80's as an employee after college. Kinda strange- couldn't find playing partners; corp. culture by then frowned upon anyone being away from their cubicle.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:42 PM

1,578 posts, read 2,310,511 times
^Downfall of a past F500 company.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
^Downfall of a past F500 company.
Yes, they also frowned upon anyone calling their bluff about tuition reimbursement, in my case an MBA at Univ. Dayton.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:27 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,801,916 times
Quote:
So, are you saying NCR County Club is not the stellar place it used to be? Wonder Why? Maybe the demise of NCR in Dayton had something to do with that? I do wonder.

Are the patrons of NCR Country Club now having to pay fees to keep it up? Bet they are, and not cheap. That's what happens when one of your best industrial patrons just picks up and leaves town. Like it or not Dayton, NCR just dumped on your ass.
Not the country club (it has not been associated with the company for many years), I'm talking about the company itself. NCR of today is a shell of what it once was, and it's relevance is only shrinking. They could have been IBM, essentially, but the IBM founders moved on to form it after leaving jobs at NCR. Their most profitable division, Teradata, was spun off and fortunately is still in the area and growing at Austin Landing. That's where most all of the top execs during the Mark Hurd era went.

NCR is a lot like AK Steel or Kmart: a pathetically run organization that is only on the F500 because of its ability to continue to burn through old money. It had its time, but frankly it is over unless they figure out how to be A-level players again. Right now they are coasting along, tied to old ghosts weighing them down and hanging on collapsing threads of moderate prosperity.

Good riddance to them. Let our development dollars continue to pursue nimble, innovative, well operated companies like Fuyao, Midmark, and Stratacache. Let's not play games with millions in taxes to keep job-shedding dinosaurs afloat.

Last edited by SWOH; 06-02-2014 at 08:36 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I do think Cincinnati and Dayton will combine, but I don't think it will be that fast. Trying to 'Push' them together to me has no advantage. Let the natural business forces drive it that way. Artificial forces rarely turn out the way you plan.
I agree, to a certain extent. I mean, the other day I was waiting to checkout in a local (Cinci.) grocery w/some smalltalk among customers relating "how such and such" is in your local (Cinci.) neighborhood, and some lady chimes in, and when asked her local neighborhood she says "Miamisburg".
And I mean no offense, but she was obviously from the smaller part of Miamisburg and just did not fit in to this urban conversation, yet she put up a front like she fit in here more than anybody else.
So no, Miamisburg is not a neighborhood in Cincinnati, at least not yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati