Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:21 PM

268 posts, read 369,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
^^^ I hope you don't work in downtown Cincinnati, as that is quite a commute.

I like Wilmington, but only if I could both live and work there. CIN-DAY isn't going to do much for Wilmington. Why are you still in Wilmington? Did you just happen to move there and never got the energy to leave? What? I understand if you grew up in Oxford having an affinity for rural areas, but golly gee whiz.
Even worse - I work in Queensgate!

Seriously, though, I'm in the office three days a week, the rest of the time, I work from home, so it's not that bad (and I'm pushing for another work from home day this year).

We're actually planning on moving as soon as our dog dies. She's a senior dog, this is the only place she's known, so we're just going to wait it out with her, then up sticks.

We ended up in Wilmington in 2004. I had moved away from Ohio in 1985 (military) and moved back to OH for work. At the time, I was working in Mason, and on the map, W'ton looked pretty good; more or less equidistant from Cincy, Dayton, and even Columbus. In practice...that's not all that true. We're too far out just to pop down to Arnold's for a burger and a beer on the spur of the moment, for example. Thus, the reason for wanting to move (that, and I like cities, I've had enough of mowing grass to last two lifetimes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 05:43 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,702,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryOn View Post
Even worse - I work in Queensgate!

Seriously, though, I'm in the office three days a week, the rest of the time, I work from home, so it's not that bad (and I'm pushing for another work from home day this year).

We're actually planning on moving as soon as our dog dies. She's a senior dog, this is the only place she's known, so we're just going to wait it out with her, then up sticks.

We ended up in Wilmington in 2004. I had moved away from Ohio in 1985 (military) and moved back to OH for work. At the time, I was working in Mason, and on the map, W'ton looked pretty good; more or less equidistant from Cincy, Dayton, and even Columbus. In practice...that's not all that true. We're too far out just to pop down to Arnold's for a burger and a beer on the spur of the moment, for example. Thus, the reason for wanting to move (that, and I like cities, I've had enough of mowing grass to last two lifetimes).
Wilmington to Mason, somewhat reasonable. But Wilmington to Queensgate - ugh. And be careful what you say about that mowing grass. Having grown up in Oxford, after some time in the concrete jungle you might be happy to get back to grass.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:51 PM

5 posts, read 7,913 times
I don't think that cin-day will happen. look at cleveland-akron, two different MSA's but only the next county over. Springfield, Troy, yellow springs are part of the dayton MSA, just to far away. I just think people need to stop worrying about being top dog in ohio by adding numbers that don't make a difference. cleveland was once the largest MSA in the state, then cincinnati was about to pass them, and every one in cleveland said we should have akron canton and youngstown to make a 3.5 million MSA.

the area between dayton and cincinnati is growing, large part is people from montgomery county and hamilton county leaving there urban cores, mainly montgomery. so if cin-day did happen the population growth rate wouldn't be that great as a whole for cin-day. The real fear for cincinnati MSA is that the Columbus MSA is not far behind and is about to be the largest in the state with real numbers and real growth.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:46 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,125,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
OHKID ^ pretty good analysis.

Helps explain to me why Cin/Day are not one metro as they have not merged. They will merge when the cultural differences are not distinguishable. That has a while to come.
Hahaha thanks Kjbrill! I try.

Definitely agreed that it will happen when cultural differences are indistinguishable. But honestly I don't think that will happen in either of our lifetimes. Nor would I want it to, it adds to the flavor of the area. Let us have our differences and bicker, it's a lot better thank thinking alike.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:37 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,823,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 632910 View Post
I don't think that cin-day will happen. look at cleveland-akron, two different MSA's but only the next county over. Springfield, Troy, yellow springs are part of the dayton MSA, just to far away. I just think people need to stop worrying about being top dog in ohio by adding numbers that don't make a difference. cleveland was once the largest MSA in the state, then cincinnati was about to pass them, and every one in cleveland said we should have akron canton and youngstown to make a 3.5 million MSA.

the area between dayton and cincinnati is growing, large part is people from montgomery county and hamilton county leaving there urban cores, mainly montgomery. so if cin-day did happen the population growth rate wouldn't be that great as a whole for cin-day. The real fear for cincinnati MSA is that the Columbus MSA is not far behind and is about to be the largest in the state with real numbers and real growth.
I don't understand what real growth is? Cincinnati growth is fake or something? No one I know of fear Columbus lol Why didn't GE move there?

Last edited by unusualfire; 06-05-2014 at 04:49 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 04:34 PM

5 posts, read 7,913 times
What i mean by real growth is population migration from outside your region. a lot of cincinnati's MSA growth comes from Dayton's MSA. so if the merge together the growth rate will drop. the only way cin-day will merge together, and correct me if I'm wrong, is 25% of montgomery county's work force is in hamilton county, or in reverse. hints why akron and cleveland are and always will be 2 different MSAs. the 3C MSAs are real close, cincinnati with almost 2.2mil cleveland just around 2.1mil and columbus almost 2.0mil. Columbus has one of the fastest growth rates in the country and will be the largest MSA in ohio in a few years with new growth, not help from other MSAs.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:38 PM

Cincinnati has the faster growing job market adding more jobs which in turn will lead to more people moving to the region.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:48 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,702,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
I don't understand what real growth is? Cincinnati growth is fake or something? No one I know if fear Columbus lol Why didn't GE move there?
I think you're a little too volatile. Obviously talking to someone still a little wet behind the ears and spouting statements fed to them by some economics professor in college. Their growth is no more real than Cincinnati's is. But it is not the end of the world. GE didn't go to Columbus because they have a much bigger base of operations here. You go where your strength and influence are.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 632910 View Post

Why are you over here anyway? I never hear about Cincy posters posting negative comments about Columbus over there.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:52 PM

465 posts, read 654,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
^I can explain why there are big cultural shifts in the area.

In the course of about 80 miles from north to south in the region, one goes from the borderline between bluegrass KY and Appalachian KY to traditional midwestern / great lakes Ohio. Almost no one would ever describe any city north of Dayton as "Appalachian" or any city south of Walton KY as "Midwestern". Nor would anyone call anywhere north of Cincinnati, honestly, part of Horse country or Bourbon country, just as no one would ever consider anything south of Cincinnati to be part of the Rust belt.

The region, essentially, spans the divide between the traditional north and the traditional south. For instance, the hills end after I-275 by Springdale if you are driving north on I-75. The characteristic of points south of that are decidedly different than points north. Just as the sprawl in KY is decidedly different than the sprawl between the two bypasses.

If you placed an average residential Dayton street in Cincinnati, you would know it was out of place. The housing styles, topography type, character, etc. wouldn't match. Put the same Dayton street in Chicago or Cleveland, for the most part you couldn't tell a difference. Take a Cincy street and put it in Pittsburgh or St. Louis (or even Philadelphia or Baltimore if you were considering residential architecture alone) and you would have the same phenomena.

Detroit and Ann Arbor are far more similar. They have similar topography, similar architecture, and almost no cultural differences.

Great explanation of the continuing cultural differences, but I have one minor quibble that certain cities south of Cincinnati do get described as part of the Rust Belt, namely Evansville, IN, but also at times Louisville and some actually include St. Louis. I disagree about St. Louis as it's more in the meat packing Midwest, and I guess Louisville's possible, but Evansville is almost certainly Rust Belt as the auto/steel trade tended to follow the old canal routes out of Detroit, even though it came about a century later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati