U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 06:11 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,382,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 632910 View Post
I don't think that cin-day will happen. look at cleveland-akron, two different MSA's but only the next county over. Springfield, Troy, yellow springs are part of the dayton MSA, just to far away. I just think people need to stop worrying about being top dog in ohio by adding numbers that don't make a difference. cleveland was once the largest MSA in the state, then cincinnati was about to pass them, and every one in cleveland said we should have akron canton and youngstown to make a 3.5 million MSA.
For all functional purposes, Cleveland and Akron are one metro. People up here fight it psychologically but it is basically one long continuous stretch. Actually the same from Akron to Canton. The development is continuous. The only cut between Cleveland and Akron is the National Park (because you can't build on it) that I-77 runs through, but if one takes Route 8 up to the East Side it's built up the whole way.

If this was another area of the country there would be no debate. I'm not sure why there is such a psychological barrier around here, just like Akron demanding its own tv stations and newscasts. They don't need it. You don't need a duplication of major services every 30 miles.

Youngstown on the other hand is a stretch. There's no continuity there. It's part of the region but you've got to pass through some cattle country to get there. The distance I think is more equivalent of Cinci to Dayton.

Last edited by SquareBetterThanAll; 06-05-2014 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 06:21 PM

465 posts, read 498,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 632910 View Post
What i mean by real growth is population migration from outside your region. a lot of cincinnati's MSA growth comes from Dayton's MSA. so if the merge together the growth rate will drop. the only way cin-day will merge together, and correct me if I'm wrong, is 25% of montgomery county's work force is in hamilton county, or in reverse. hints why akron and cleveland are and always will be 2 different MSAs. the 3C MSAs are real close, cincinnati with almost 2.2mil cleveland just around 2.1mil and columbus almost 2.0mil. Columbus has one of the fastest growth rates in the country and will be the largest MSA in ohio in a few years with new growth, not help from other MSAs.
Pension plans across the country are in trouble right now in part because cities made the mistake to assume rosy equity growth rates would continue indefinitely. Columbus' growth relative to Cincinnati has slowed considerably over the last couple of years, and it's going to take over a decade for C-bus to catch up if it stays the same as 2013. As somebody mentioned up above, the economic tide indicates it's not going to stay the same, however, and we should probably expect Cincinnati to continue to narrow the gap over the next decade. It's a good thing both MSA's are growing, as it would be more difficult for Columbus to continue its robust growth without regional strength.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:36 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Hahaha thanks Kjbrill! I try.

Definitely agreed that it will happen when cultural differences are indistinguishable. But honestly I don't think that will happen in either of our lifetimes. Nor would I want it to, it adds to the flavor of the area. Let us have our differences and bicker, it's a lot better thank thinking alike.

It's as easy as pie to turn it into one Metro. Create an advisory commission.

An official volunteer from town A regularly meets with an official volunteer from town B (and maybe towns C, D and E if they are interested) to chat about things then goes and tells the respective local government (?mayor) what came out of it so they know what legislation (if any) to propose. A few things would be the same.

Someone go look up the Miami Valley Regional Planning Commission. (I just moved and don't have an internet connection right now.) I don't think it is/was broad enough.

Go for it. "City individuality" can be guaranteed.

And, by the way, I may be sitting in Covington, but that's a Dayton kind of thinking.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:14 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
It's as easy as pie to turn it into one Metro. Create an advisory commission.

An official volunteer from town A regularly meets with an official volunteer from town B (and maybe towns C, D and E if they are interested) to chat about things then goes and tells the respective local government (?mayor) what came out of it so they know what legislation (if any) to propose. A few things would be the same.

Someone go look up the Miami Valley Regional Planning Commission. (I just moved and don't have an internet connection right now.) I don't think it is/was broad enough.

Go for it. "City individuality" can be guaranteed.

And, by the way, I may be sitting in Covington, but that's a Dayton kind of thinking.
Don't tell us we are actually being inundated with Dayton thinking, I don't think we could have guessed.

How many advisory commisions have you been involved with? Did they all work well? I haven't seen an advisory commisson which achieved squat other than advising themselves some fat salaries. For this to work it has to come naturally. The business communities have to intertwine and become one. The residents need to put aside their separationist policies. But I don't think a commission is going to do anything but burn up money.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Don't tell us we are actually being inundated with Dayton thinking, I don't think we could have guessed.

How many advisory commisions have you been involved with? Did they all work well? I haven't seen an advisory commisson which achieved squat other than advising themselves some fat salaries. For this to work it has to come naturally. The business communities have to intertwine and become one. The residents need to put aside their separationist policies. But I don't think a commission is going to do anything but burn up money.

You missed a word, "volunteer."

The business communities are already intertwined to the extent that Cincinnati has many district offices.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:18 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Quote:
You missed a word, "volunteer."

The business communities are already intertwined to the extent that Cincinnati has many district offices.
That's even worse, volunteer comissions won't meet often enough to get squat done.

When you say Cincinnati has many district offices, I am assuming you mean Cincinnati businesses. Of course they do, that is the nature of business. But those same businesses likely have district offices in Lexington, Louisville, Indianapolis, Columbus, and anyplace else they do business.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:19 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,302,691 times
Officials don?t want Warren County to be the middle child - Dayton Business Journal

http://investing.businessweek.com/re...TB&ticker=FITB

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/ne...t-chester.html

Old 07-21-2018, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 312 times
Quote:
The "two cities" are fifty miles apart.
Cincinnati-Dayton are closer than fifty miles
if you consider Centerville to say West Chester
or Mason. I heard heard much about the two
becoming more like Minneapolis-St. Paul someday.
Development is always going on between Dayton
and Cincinnati. It probably won’t be in my lifetime
though.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollhouse fanatic View Post
Cincinnati-Dayton are closer than fifty miles
if you consider Centerville to say West Chester
or Mason. I heard heard much about the two
becoming more like Minneapolis-St. Paul someday.
Development is always going on between Dayton
and Cincinnati. It probably won’t be in my lifetime
though.

_You_ may certainly consider it all as "Centerville to say West Chester...." if you like, and I don't know about West Chester, Mason, etc.; but, regarding suburban Dayton, _my experience_ as a mostly life-long (I'm over 80 years old) Daytonian (meaning the city itself) is about like this:

If you are speaking of the south suburbs, with the general exception of Oakwood, they are about like a person who was sitting next to you who decided to get up, turn the chair around so that his/her back was facing you and thereafter mostly tried to pretend you didn't exist.

North suburbs would watch what's going on about you. Near east suburbs would be aware of you, but not particularly watching. Far east suburbs would be more of a mind of "Who? What? THIS is Greene county!" And, west suburbs don't know where the corporation line is until you get to Preble county.

In Covington, which is just a little farther than Cincinnati, since I recognize the word "Dayton," I am usually almost immediately "advised" as to which suburb is meant.

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 07-22-2018 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: spacing

Old 07-22-2018, 03:51 PM

390 posts, read 206,421 times
if you get on I-75 at Liberty Way you are about 18 miles from Austin Blvd in suburban Dayton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati