U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:08 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,695,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
We will know June 6th.
Yep, unusualfire..."technically" we will... However, for better or worse, the U.S. Census (or whatever it is) will not and cannot minimize what two human eyeballs can observe has transpired between Cincinnati and Dayton. (Only the blind would fail to see and comprehend.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,750,175 times
Quote:
.there is seemless development between the two cities ...
Eh, not quite.

@@@@

Hmm...like 'Men are from Mars and Women are fromk Venus', Cincinnati is gay and Dayton is straight.

Cinicnnati = The Queen City: Fabulous.

Dayton = The Gem City: say what?.

@@

Cincinnati = Colorful & Eccentric: Lacaido Hearn & Francis Trollope

Dayton = Nerdy and square: The Wright Brothers.

@@

Cincinnati = Exuberant victorian tenements and mansions in brick and stone

Dayton = Bland frame farmhouses shoehorned into city lots.

etc etc etc

Old 02-04-2013, 12:18 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,653,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
QUOTE].there is seemless development between the two cities ...
Eh, not quite.

@@@@

[/quote]

Actually, quite.

Ohio, at night, from space:

Google Image Result for http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v255/Piggiston/map2-small.jpg

and ...

http://www.priweb.org/ed/earthcomm/e...night_sky.html

Old 02-04-2013, 12:21 PM

^
Yeah, but I know what I see when I drive between the two, and what I see is a lot of open country.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:22 PM

477 posts, read 529,894 times
I can't believe this is a debate. Yes Cincinnati and Dayton are vastly different culturally and historically, but so are Baltimore and Washington. The fact of the matter is combining the two will make the region on par with Seattle-Tacoma, one of the big boys and that would only mean good news for both cities as they'd be vastly more visible on the national scale.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:24 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,653,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
Yeah, but I know what I see when I drive between the two, and what I see is a lot of open country.
A lot of open country? Are you sure you're driving on Interstate 75 between Cincinnati and Dayton? I drive that literally all the time. I can't imagine what you're interpreting as "open country"? That horse farm near Monroe? The patch of woods south of Springboro? The massive parking lots for the flea markets?

Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,828,826 times
There doesn't have to be continuous, dense development to combine the two metros. My point is the metros already share borders and there is so much activity between the two that it makes sense to combine them to get a clearer picture on the region.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:29 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,303,116 times
^ Yeah most of the urban area is west of I-75

Old 02-04-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
There doesn't have to be continuous, dense development to combine the two metros. My point is the metros already share borders and there is so much activity between the two that it makes sense to combine them to get a clearer picture on the region.
Definetly. There is enough interaction in terms of communting patterns, and that is a big selling point to the I-75 interchange development, as central locations for two markets (and a reason IKEA located where it did).

You could have a family living in a large lot propety surrounded by farmland and maybe a new plat 1 mile away, small crossroads place like Red Lion or Ridgeville nearby, looks country, but in economic terms they and most of their neighbors are working in an urban economy (white collar or service work or factory work at the interchange developments),

....though their living environment does not appear suburban (and they & their neighbors may adopt a sort of "country" pose or POV as a cultuiral riff, of different types of "country"...."modern Mayberry small townsman", "horsey set", "farmer"(as in hobby or part time farm), etc.

That is what I still like about this area. Metropolitan amenties and economy close at hand but a quasi-rural environment of farms and small towns.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah most of the urban area is west of I-75
What's going on between Hamilton, Middletown, Franklin, and Miamisburg is sort of river rat stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati