U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 05:18 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
kjbrill - Perhaps you missed where I said that such an airport was a "pipe dream" and that it should have happened "many years ago." I'm not suggesting building an airport there today - that's absolutely unrealistic. Besides, we've already exhausted this Monroe airport argument in a previous thread and I'm not interested in a replay.
Yes I agree it is a pipe dream. What I cannot understand is how some apparently serious posters keep saying we neeed a regional airport between the two cities. Where is the money pot? I just cannot see it ever happening.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,652,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Yes I agree it is a pipe dream. What I cannot understand is how some apparently serious posters keep saying we neeed a regional airport between the two cities. Where is the money pot? I just cannot see it ever happening.
The time to have built such an airport, unfortunately, has come and gone. It should have been proposed and built before 1980. Too bad there were no forward thinkers in either city who spearheaded such an endeavor.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,302,369 times
^Yeah I remember back in the 80's where this new arena or stadium was to be built out there. The hippodome or something like that. I guess it could be done they get an NBA team.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:08 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
^Yeah I remember back in the 80's where this new arena or stadium was to be built out there. The hippodome or something like that. I guess it could be done they get an NBA team.
What does an airport have to do with a sports stadium? Even a large sports stadium between Cincinnati and Dayton makes more sense than an airport. But I don't think a stadium will bring back an NBA team. What is the emphasis? Even Indianapolis makes more sense with their Pacers than anything around here.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 PM

291 posts, read 296,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
A metro can have more than one core county. It depends on the urban area. Which Cincinnati and Dayton does.

http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/thrall...t2004april.pdf

Do you really think 15% or 25%(automatic inclusion) of Baltimore's commuters travel just to the District of Columbia? OR Olympia, Wa commuters travel to King county of Seattle? Or all those Fort Worth commuters travel to Dallas County?? Or The newer CSA's Providence commuters traveling to Boston's Suffolk County? Or Daytona's commuters going to Orlando's Orange county?

So the commuters of Greene county headed to Warren or Clinton county for work don't count?

California perspective on the area.

Cincinnati/Dayton Metroplex Market Spotlight on Vimeo

Here is a Cincinnati/Dayton blog.
The Cincinnati-Dayton Metroplex | News, Information, and Opinions about the Cincinnati and Dayton Region
Thanks for the info.!!!

I believe that the only one of your examples that is a bit of a stretch is the Orlando CSA because Daytona Beach is about 60 miles and two counties away, and Orlando/Orange County is not the employment draw that the other mentioned cities are. But DC has a huge downtown in terms of the numbers of workers that it could easily meet the interchange requirement with Baltimore. The same thing could be said for Boston (huge downtown)/Providence and Seattle (huge downtown)/Olympia. Dallas and Ft Worth are in adjacent counties and therefore the interchange requirement is easily met. Also DFW is now an MSA.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
What does an airport have to do with a sports stadium? Even a large sports stadium between Cincinnati and Dayton makes more sense than an airport. But I don't think a stadium will bring back an NBA team. What is the emphasis? Even Indianapolis makes more sense with their Pacers than anything around here.
Not to get completely off track here, but why is that? Cincinnati is the 29th largest MSA in the country and that's not even taking into account Dayton and the one million or so in that metro that's literally attached to Cincy. Indy is a smaller metro without any substantial-sized nearby attached metro like Dayton.

An NBA team won't come to Cincinnati without a new arena, certainly. But it's not out of the question. The NBA is in myriad metropolitan areas smaller than Cincinnati, including Memphis, Oklahoma City, Sacramento, New Orleans, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, even Cleveland.

List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-07-2013, 06:27 PM

291 posts, read 296,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Not to get completely off track here, but why is that? Cincinnati is the 29th largest MSA in the country and that's not even taking into account Dayton and the one million or so in that metro that's literally attached to Cincy. Indy is a smaller metro without any substantial-sized nearby attached metro like Dayton.

An NBA team won't come to Cincinnati without a new arena, certainly. But it's not out of the question. The NBA is in myriad metropolitan areas smaller than Cincinnati, including Memphis, Oklahoma City, Sacramento, New Orleans, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, even Cleveland.

List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Major league sports franchises are more concerned with television market size when it comes to expansion and relocation, not the MSA/CSA size.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:46 PM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
Major league sports franchises are more concerned with television market size when it comes to expansion and relocation, not the MSA/CSA size.
Yes. Besides, Cleveland's MSA being smaller than Cincinnati's is pretty nit-picky. They are virtually the same size. Cleveland's tv market, however, is considerably larger. Cleveland's tv market it similarly sized to Miami's and bigger than Denver, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Portland, Baltimore, Columbus, San Diego, Kansas City.

But anyway, I'm just curious, besides wanting to get federal money for possible infrastructure projects, why else would someone from Cincinnati want to be associated with Dayton? I see the two kind of late Cleveland-Akron, only Dayton is kinda more boring and worse than Akron, and farther away from the bigger city. At least in my mind, when I think of Cincinnati, I think of civilization, of a real city with its own culture and fun things to do. When I've been to Dayton (which admittedly is only like twice), I couldn't wait to leave. Just not a whole lot happening. Just not a whole lot of personality compared to Cincinnati.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Yes. Besides, Cleveland's MSA being smaller than Cincinnati's is pretty nit-picky. They are virtually the same size. Cleveland's tv market, however, is considerably larger. Cleveland's tv market it similarly sized to Miami's and bigger than Denver, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Portland, Baltimore, Columbus, San Diego, Kansas City.

But anyway, I'm just curious, besides wanting to get federal money for possible infrastructure projects, why else would someone from Cincinnati want to be associated with Dayton? I see the two kind of late Cleveland-Akron, only Dayton is kinda more boring and worse than Akron, and farther away from the bigger city. At least in my mind, when I think of Cincinnati, I think of civilization, of a real city with its own culture and fun things to do. When I've been to Dayton (which admittedly is only like twice), I couldn't wait to leave. Just not a whole lot happening. Just not a whole lot of personality compared to Cincinnati.
The only reason Cleveland's TV market is larger is because it includes Akron/Canton, whereas Dayton has its own TV stations. But you don't think that Dayton TV would cover/carry a potential Cincinnati NBA team? Dayton TV sports devotes most of its non-UD time covering the Reds and Bengals anyway.

And how do you figure Akron is better than Dayton? Going back to the MSA stats, Dayton is larger than Akron and, like Cincinnati, it's actually gaining population. Cleveland and Akron would love to be gaining population too. Does Akron have an Air Force base or the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force? Does Akron host the NCAA men's basketball tournament every year?

And, granted this is a limited poll, but it was put to the C-D test just last week. Not a lot of people cared but those that did weren't too high on Akron.

Akron vs Dayton vs Toledo

Last edited by abr7rmj; 02-07-2013 at 07:58 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 07:09 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,302,369 times
Can't wait until the day it's official. Then we can put the merger to rest.

Last edited by unusualfire; 02-07-2013 at 07:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati