Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,558 times

Advertisements

I don't get it. Until I drive up route 4 from Cincinnati to Dayton without realizing I just left one city and entered another, I don't see how you can consider it one big metro area. There are too many gaps between the cities. It is nothing like the SF Bay Area where a drive down El Camino Real can take you through a dozen cities within a 30 minute period without realizing it.

Cincinnati should stand as its own metro area just like Dayton should.

Great, now I am rehashing this whole tired argument!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 08:19 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,037 times
^ You can drive to many places that don't seem a part of the metro. Blandchester, Oxford, Vivey,in etc. Sam can be said about other metro's Like Washington, Pa to Pittsburgh's Metro.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:40 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
I don't get it. Until I drive up route 4 from Cincinnati to Dayton without realizing I just left one city and entered another, I don't see how you can consider it one big metro area. There are too many gaps between the cities. It is nothing like the SF Bay Area where a drive down El Camino Real can take you through a dozen cities within a 30 minute period without realizing it.

Cincinnati should stand as its own metro area just like Dayton should.

Great, now I am rehashing this whole tired argument!
You can drive from downtown Cincinnati to White Oak, Independence or Batavia and encounter significant gaps. Heck, parts of the 275 loop look like they might as well be in rural northwest Iowa. ... Are they not part of the same "big metro area"?

Honestly, does everything between the Carew Tower and UD Arena have to look like midtown Manhattan before people acknowledge that it's one?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 PM

243 posts, read 452,578 times
I live in a northern suburb of Dayton, and Google maps puts me a whole two miles (6 minutes) closer to Cbus than to Cincy. However, I have always felt more connected to Cincinnati than to Columbus even if I have to drive through all of the Dayton metro area to get to it. The drive to Columbus is rural and full of farms, so it makes it seem more separated even thought it's quicker to drive there for me. Officially recognized or not, I feel like Cin-Day is a real thing.

Can we call it something cooler than Cin-Day? Maybe Nnatiton? No?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,177 times
^ Daytonnati

Old 02-04-2013, 11:56 PM

243 posts, read 452,578 times
Oh that sounds good, although I figure Cincy should be first because it's the bigger city.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:04 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,752,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA wayfarer View Post

Can we call it something cooler than Cin-Day? Maybe Nnatiton? No?

The Metroplex of the Miami Valley.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:06 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Quote:
Until I drive up route 4 from Cincinnati to Dayton without realizing I just left one city and entered another, I don't see how you can consider it one big metro area. There are too many gaps between the cities. It is nothing like the SF Bay Area where a drive down El Camino Real can take you through a dozen cities within a 30 minute period without realizing it.
I tend to agree with this, though my drive is along SR741 from SR 63 through Otterbein, Red Lion, into Springboro.

The area between Springboro and I-675 has become suburban...that was the big change in the 25 years since Ive lived here...the transformatoion of Springboro Pike. South of Springboro its still pretty much open country (w. ribbon development) along 741, pretty much all the way to SR 63.

For Route 4 the area that is or was somewhat underdeveloped would be around Lesourdsville. Though you can see that wave of subdivisons marching south from Cincy through Liberty Township toward SR63 and Monroe.

The areas between Middletown and Franklin and Franklin and Miamisburg are a bit more ambigous. With that Austin Rd interchange expect to see southern Miami Twp really go under development in a big way.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:14 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Quote:
but Franklin (as benign and boring as it was to my wife and I) was inexorably being connected to and absorbed by the CIN-DAY communities surrounding it, i.e., Middletown and Springboro...all becoming one.
Franklin is a good example of interchange devleopment as a big regional employment center. I was told this was a planned thing by the Franklin politicians, to emphasise industrial park development to generate more city income tax...a revenue generation strategy. Though there is also some office stuff there (and Springboro has joined in the game with an industrial park on their side of the interchange to Franklin).

The two Franklin interchanges have different things going on....one is mostly just industrial/gas station/truck stop (plus that big auto auction place), while the other has the commercial strip (that replaced downtown Franklin) as well as two industrial parks.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:52 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
I seem to recall the government uses commuting figures to a city from outlying areas to determine whether or not that community or area is part of the metro area. So until more people from Dayton actually commute directly to the Cincinnati area for work, it is not likely to be considered a part of it or vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati