Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,592,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
^ You can drive to many places that don't seem a part of the metro. Blandchester, Oxford, Vivey,in etc. Sam can be said about other metro's Like Washington, Pa to Pittsburgh's Metro.
Washington feels pretty tied-in with Pittsburgh to me. Development along I-79 between I-70 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike is almost continuous. The only real break in the action is for about six miles between the Ohio River and I-279, and that's primarily because it passes through a very wealthy area with large lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 03:17 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,125,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
It is all about making Dayton seem larger than it is and a boost to the psyche of Daytonians. Can't tell you how many times I heard about this when I lived in Dayton.

Does it make any difference at the end of the day? Not really. Just looks good on paper, that's all.
I live in Dayton and I never hear about it at all. Now when I was in Monroe, that was a different story altogether....

Those north of Courthouse Square or south of Fountain Square do not care about Daytonnati because any new growth in the area based on the Daytonnati mega-city is poised to occur between the two cities. The metro has not grown to the size yet where infill development in the 50-mile stretch is economically feasible. Also, current sprawl development north of Dayton or south of Cincinnati generally is built only in response to demand for housing in the nearby vicinity, not the surrounding area.

Still, formal designation could secure funding for high-speed rail, which would be awesome! Especially if we elect a Democrat to replace Kasich in 2016 (although I actually kinda like Kasich now, so I'm torn whether I should vote for him or not...)

Old 02-06-2013, 06:46 PM

319 posts, read 393,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
^ You just contradicted yourself. Early you said from Montgomery to Hamilton county only.
No, I didn't contradict myself. For Daytonnati to happen, the required interchange has to occur between the two core counties. You are the one that suggested that the interchange requirement was just between the two MSAs, which could mean the bordering counties between the two MSAs instead of the two core counties. I'm pretty sure that the interchange between Montgomery County and either Warren or Butler Counties has been over 15% for quite awhile.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:26 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,823,685 times
A metro can have more than one core county. It depends on the urban area. Which Cincinnati and Dayton does.

http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/thrall...t2004april.pdf

Do you really think 15% or 25%(automatic inclusion) of Baltimore's commuters travel just to the District of Columbia? OR Olympia, Wa commuters travel to King county of Seattle? Or all those Fort Worth commuters travel to Dallas County?? Or The newer CSA's Providence commuters traveling to Boston's Suffolk County? Or Daytona's commuters going to Orlando's Orange county?

So the commuters of Greene county headed to Warren or Clinton county for work don't count?

California perspective on the area.

http://vimeo.com/48842573

Here is a Cincinnati/Dayton blog.
http://cindaymetroplex.com

Last edited by unusualfire; 02-06-2013 at 08:55 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 08:59 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,823,685 times
Here is an article about how many commuters was needed in 1990 and how many is needed for the combination.
Ready for `Daytonnati?' It could happen - Business Courier

Old 02-07-2013, 02:15 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,447,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Washington feels pretty tied-in with Pittsburgh to me. Development along I-79 between I-70 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike is almost continuous. The only real break in the action is for about six miles between the Ohio River and I-279, and that's primarily because it passes through a very wealthy area with large lots.
I drive through Washington, Pa., regularly on the way from Cincinnati to DC and I don't ever really feel like I'm in Pittsburgh. I can get Pitt radio stations, yea, but drive a couple of miles more and I can get some Cleveland stations too.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:58 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,912,917 times
The problem with Daytonnati is that we don't have the population to support it. It would just be greater middletown with hollowed-out cities on either end. In other words, a placeless and forgettable place. Certainly this is not something to which we should aspire.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:44 AM

4,471 posts, read 6,180,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
It would just be greater middletown with hollowed-out cities on either end.
I'll agree that Dayton is quite empty and feels that way, but Cincinnati (in spite of population loss) does not have a "hollowed out" feel to it at all.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,912,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I'll agree that Dayton is quite empty and feels that way, but Cincinnati (in spite of population loss) does not have a "hollowed out" feel to it at all.
i was attempting to speak to the concept of "daytonnati" as being a concept that would implicitly require the hollowing of cincinnati and dayton in order to fill in the middle. i wasn't commenting on either city in its current sate.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:32 AM

4,471 posts, read 6,180,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i was attempting to speak to the concept of "daytonnati" as being a concept that would implicitly require the hollowing of cincinnati and dayton in order to fill in the middle. i wasn't commenting on either city in its current sate.
Gotcha. I doubt Middletown would ever achieve the population necessary to overtake Dayton or Cincy as an anchor city. As far as the sprawl in between the two cities, things are too fragmented municipality wise to make a difference.

It's been mentioned before, but the main benefit would come down to Federal funding and national attention should the pending metroplex actually occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati