Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 12:50 AM

865 posts, read 1,472,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
And how far are you willing to walk? To me it was about 5-10 minutes. Why should I want more if I could drive to work in less than 10 minutes? Never made sense to me if I could drive in less time than I could walk, paticularly if parking was free.
I'm willing to walk 15-20 minutes. I like the exercise, and it keeps me thin. But, as of right now, I only have to walk 3 minutes. Also, I like spending the money saved on dining and entertainment for my girlfriend and myself. But, that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 01:40 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,177 times
^ Agreed. It's silly to drive when you can walk. Waste of money, and being in the habit of walking is what your body was built for and is healthy. Then there's this little thing called pollution. Oh, and that environment thingy. So my walking is also healthy for other people and for the planet.

And, if you really want to follow the rabbit hole, burning oil funds terrorism! Regardless of where the oil was sourced, my purchase reduces the supply of oil on the market, thereby increasing the cost of all oil on the market and increasing the profitability for unsavory middle eastern regimes. And Chavez, that sexy beast.

As my parents age, with more weight than they should have, it bothers me to think their driving habits have probably taken years off their lives. Our bodies are not meant for the car potato lifestyle.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:02 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
There's a reason Americans are obese, out-of-shape blobs and Europeans are fit.
You make a good argument before you start up with the stupid generalizations again.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You make a good argument before you start up with the stupid generalizations again.
On the whole, it's undeniable. Americans aren't in very good shape, for the most part.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:11 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
natininja...

And I remember how jogging was supposed to be so great for your well being. Most of the people I know who jogged for any prolonged period of time may appear to be fit a trim, but they are now going through knee and hip replacements just to be able to walk period.

When you hit 70 I want to see just how far you want to walk. When I was young I could play golf carrying a bag full of clubs. Now if I don't ride in a golf cart I don't play.

As far as our body shape, ask any orthopedic doctor and they will tell you we were never meant to walk upright. We are just poorly constructed for that activity.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 PM

Who said I was advocating jogging? Or why is that equivalent to walking? It's obvious why jogging would be worse for your body. Are you really making the argument that walking is bad for your joints to justify driving everywhere? Wow.

We certainly evolved to be mobile, and I'm not sure how our hands are meant to interact with the ground, so it seems like our bodies are designed to walk something-like-upright. Cars, on the other hand, were designed for us, not the other way around.

If low-impact walking is poor exercise, I can't imagine what is good exercise. With your attitude toward healthy activity, I can only imagine the state of your body and waistline. Many 70-year-olds get around just fine by walking; it's the whole use-it-or-lose-it thing.

There is also cycling, which is even lower-impact than walking, another form of active transportation that is healthier for us, the people around us, and the planet. I also know people 60-70+ who get around by cycling, though not so many in the USA. Strangely, these are not the people I know who are getting knee and hip replacements, while my car potato mom just got her hip done.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:49 PM

114 posts, read 228,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Who said I was advocating jogging? Or why is that equivalent to walking? It's obvious why jogging would be worse for your body. Are you really making the argument that walking is bad for your joints to justify driving everywhere? Wow.
Haha, love this!

Old 02-12-2013, 02:32 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
natininja...

And I remember how jogging was supposed to be so great for your well being. Most of the people I know who jogged for any prolonged period of time may appear to be fit a trim, but they are now going through knee and hip replacements just to be able to walk period.

When you hit 70 I want to see just how far you want to walk. When I was young I could play golf carrying a bag full of clubs. Now if I don't ride in a golf cart I don't play.

As far as our body shape, ask any orthopedic doctor and they will tell you we were never meant to walk upright. We are just poorly constructed for that activity.
Could i ask how old you are?

Old 02-12-2013, 02:33 PM

^^ The cognitive dissonance is deafening.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:42 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
could i ask how old you are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati