Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 11:42 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,823,428 times

Advertisements

There is a place called Corvallis, Or that was added to Portland's CSA that's like 90 miles from Portland. Portland has a CSA of 3 million now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 01:37 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,948,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
There is a place called Corvallis, Or that was added to Portland's CSA that's like 90 miles from Portland. Portland has a CSA of 3 million now.
CSAs just seem kind of silly to me. Columbus had Bellefontaine added to its CSA, and I'm not sure why. The only reason might have to do with Honda, though. A lot of people in the Bellefontaine area work for Honda in Marysville, so they're commuting in and out of the Columbus metro every day.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:03 AM

4,244 posts, read 7,138,529 times
I guess this is a big let-down for the Cincy boosters.

But hey, Maysville is an undiscovered gem of a town!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:32 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,700,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I guess this is a big let-down for the Cincy boosters.

But hey, Maysville is an undiscovered gem of a town!
I am just not convinced what the importance of a CSA is other than maybe bragging rights. Perhaps it is because I have not seen enough as to how it relates to any funding.

As far as private business investment, I believe they are perfectly capable of evaluating for themselves the potential of a given region without an official government declaration this is one big economic pot, especially when it is fabricated.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:33 AM

4,471 posts, read 6,179,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I am just not convinced what the importance of a CSA is other than maybe bragging rights.
I'm not sure CSA really matters in the scheme of things either.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:29 PM

4,244 posts, read 7,138,529 times
Here's a good article on the differences between the Dayton and Cincinnati economies:

Cincinnati, Dayton economies differ in key growth areas

Quote:
The economies of Cincinnati and Dayton, two metro areas near each other along Interstate 75, are traveling in very different directions, an analysis of labor data shows.

While the Cincinnati metropolitan area added thousands of jobs in 2012, the Dayton metro had the weakest growth of the state’s largest metros — Akron, Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, Dayton and Toledo, according to employment figures from Ohio Department of Job and Family Services’ Labor Market Information....

....“These two economies do share a lot in common, but they’re also dissimilar in critical ways, which is why we’re seeing different outcomes,” said LaVaughn Henry, vice president of the Cincinnati branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland

Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,948,634 times
Not sure if any of you saw this, but besides the MSA estimates that came out today, so did county ones. They have Hamilton County growing again, at 802,038, which is +1,350 from 2011. Montgomery County, however, was still losing, though the loss was slower than the previous year, at -616.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Not sure if any of you saw this, but besides the MSA estimates that came out today, so did county ones. They have Hamilton County growing again, at 802,038, which is +1,350 from 2011. Montgomery County, however, was still losing, though the loss was slower than the previous year, at -616.
Where did you find that information at? Usually the losses for the county is blamed on Cincinnati. Hopefully this is because the city gained. With all that is going on Downtown im not surprised. Hamilton County has not gained population since the 70's. I heard Baltimore reversed a 60 year trend as well.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:21 PM

368 posts, read 636,032 times
why would someone in fairborn or works at wright pat be considered part of cincinnati when they are the same distance to columbus??why the heck would someone in springfield or troy be combined into cincy..these towns that are miles away from core cities in csas like albequerque are small..have to go to the bigger city for hospitals or jobs..i know for a fact that many who work in santa fe cant afford to live there and take the train to work every day from albequerque..btw..ohio could learn a lesson from those trains..they are very popular and everyone there said it was a boondoggle when they started now they are going strong.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
why would someone in fairborn or works at wright pat be considered part of cincinnati when they are the same distance to columbus??why the heck would someone in springfield or troy be combined into cincy..these towns that are miles away from core cities in csas like albequerque are small..have to go to the bigger city for hospitals or jobs..i know for a fact that many who work in santa fe cant afford to live there and take the train to work every day from albequerque..btw..ohio could learn a lesson from those trains..they are very popular and everyone there said it was a boondoggle when they started now they are going strong.
Well since you asked. Maybe because its 56 miles to Cincinnati and over 60+ to Columbus. And maybe because Cincinnati has more jobs. Anyway way more people From Cincinnati travel to Dayton than Dayton to Cincinnati. Odd but true. Mainly because of Dayton's urbanized area enters Cincinnati's MSA.

And if this does not explain it NOTHING will.

Last edited by unusualfire; 03-16-2013 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati