Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 AM

688 posts, read 894,862 times

Advertisements

I don't know why they don't combine metro statistics between these two cities as it's pretty much urban all the way between both cities.

Outside of the 275 loop, you have Fairfield, Hamilton, Mason, West Chester, Trenton, Middletown, Monroe, Franklin, Springboro and then you're right into the Dayton metro.

They should just call it Cin-Day and combine the two for e-peen status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 08:53 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,737,801 times
The "two cities" are fifty miles apart.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 AM

4,472 posts, read 6,186,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Yeah, but the two metropolitan areas are contiguous. I think that is what the OP is referring to, and they wouldn't be the only ones to point out the obvious.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:20 AM

477 posts, read 661,569 times
Quote:
Baltimore and Washington are 40 miles apart. They are one metro area

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...=h&mra=ls&z=10

Old 02-04-2013, 09:22 AM

41,740 posts, read 74,721,167 times
Lather, rinse, repeat ... It's been days since we've touched on this tired topic.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 AM

4,472 posts, read 6,186,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Lather, rinse, repeat ... It's been days since we've touched on this tired topic.
Could be a record.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,395,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post
I don't know why they don't combine metro statistics between these two cities as it's pretty much urban all the way between both cities.

Outside of the 275 loop, you have Fairfield, Hamilton, Mason, West Chester, Trenton, Middletown, Monroe, Franklin, Springboro and then you're right into the Dayton metro.

Another CSA vs. MSA argument?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:14 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,829,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post

Hi lovesthebass--

It's only a matter of time (a few years, possibly 15 at most) before the Census Bureau finally recognizes Cin-Day as a combined metro area. Starting in West Chester (near Union Centre), it's quicker and easier to get north to Miamisburg and the Dayton Mall during rush hour than it is to get south to Cincinnati, due to the latter's traffic congestion.

I'm in the middle of doing a market research report and you can be damned sure I'm combining the Cin-Day metro area into one report. I've already determined the go/no-go areas, and the "go" areas (warranting more research) is almost entirely focused on the strip between 275 and 675, between Union Centre and Austin Landing.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,395,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi lovesthebass--

It's only a matter of time (a few years, possibly 15 at most) before the Census Bureau finally recognizes Cin-Day as a combined metro area. Starting in West Chester (near Union Centre), it's quicker and easier to get north to Miamisburg and the Dayton Mall during rush hour than it is to get south to Cincinnati, due to the latter's traffic congestion.

I'm in the middle of doing a market research report and you can be damned sure I'm combining the Cin-Day metro area into one report. I've already determined the go/no-go areas, and the "go" areas (warranting more research) is almost entirely focused on the strip between 275 and 675, between Union Centre and Austin Landing.
It is all about making Dayton seem larger than it is and a boost to the psyche of Daytonians. Can't tell you how many times I heard about this when I lived in Dayton.

Does it make any difference at the end of the day? Not really. Just looks good on paper, that's all.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:37 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,141,772 times
Quote:
It is all about making Dayton seem larger than it is and a boost to the psyche of Daytonians. Can't tell you how many times I heard about this when I lived in Dayton.

This has been going on since the 1970s or earlier.

This book:

Close-Up: How to Read the American City, Clay

..came out in the ealry 1970s, and in it the author makes an example of a similar push at that time..."Megacity 70-75"....which was an earlier marketing ploy pitching Dayton as good central location.

The author provides a map from the marketing campaign showing the couties and populations or incomes around the intersection of I-75/I-70 and comments how this was a good example of distorting the truth with maps since the map example omitted all mention of the much larger Cincinnati in one of the counties shown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati