U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 9,825 times

Advertisements

Hi all~

My family and I will be moving to Cincinnati for my husband's job late this spring. We have four kids in elementary and one in high school. We are completely new to the area and have no friends there (yet
Hoping I can get some direction from you on where to start looking!

Where is you current location and environment? Los Angeles area

. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change? A change! We are hoping for a much more family friendly neighborhood.

. Where will your work location be? Downtown Cincinnati
. Maximum commute time desired? 30 minutes

. What is you budget for housing? 400k-550k
. Rent or buy? Buy
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) Single Family
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) 4 bedrooms, 2.5 + baths
. Other specifics?

. Neighborhood environment? As many kids in the neighborhood as possible.

. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment Suburb!
. Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmosphere-This exactly!
. Family oriented-As much as possible.
. Lots of same age kids, activities-Yes
. Great schools-We will be going with Catholic schools here, because they are in one now.
. Older, distinctive architecture, individual character-Either one. I don't mind cookie-cutter suburban as long as there will be a lot of kids and families.
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready-Definitely move in ready (I hope)
. Diversity of income, race, housing?Fine, but families are the most important factor to us
. Yard - none, small, large (1/2 acre or more) Nice size, doesn't have to be huge, enough for five kids to play
. Very safe, low crime area? YES
. Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much? No.
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilities This would be nice, but not necessary

We would love lots of activities for the kids, sports, etc, neighborhood activities, family-oriented, parks, a nice walkable downtown, and good Catholic schools (I know there are a lot of them!) nearby. Particularly concerned with trying to get my son into a co-ed Catholic high school.

Thanks very much. I really appreciate any insight/help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 02:16 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,653,522 times
Welcome to Cincinnati!

Sounds like you would love Blue Ash, Montgomery, Loveland, Madiera, Mason or West Chester.

Have fun on that cross-country drive with five kids! I'm picturing Chevy Chase in Vacation.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:41 PM

31,166 posts, read 57,302,589 times
LOL, my first thought when you asked "any advice?" was: Leave some of the kids behind?

Just kidding, of course! Welcome to Cincinnati! May your move go smoothly.

Cincinnati has a ton of Catholic schools. Here's a link to the diocesan website:

http://www.catholiccincinnati.org/mi...chools-office/

Only McNicholas, Roger Bacon, Purcell-Marian, and Summit Country Day high schools are co-ed, as far as I remember. All but Roger Bacon are on the east side of town, and Roger Bacon is in the middle.

Some east side suburbs would include Anderson Township, Blue Ash, Montgomery, Madeira, Kenwood, Mariemont.

Badin High School in Hamilton is co-ed and would be the nearest high school if you chose to live out in West Chester or Mason.

Hope that helps a little. I really can't speak to the quality of any of the schools, other than to tell you that quite a few of my friends went to McNicholas, and they seem to have turned out OK.

Also ... if you're open to living across the river in Kentucky, there are plenty of Catholic schools over there as well.

http://home.catholicweb.com/covingto...4530&From=Home

Old 02-05-2013, 06:23 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,363,536 times
With your crirteria, working downtown and all, I would be concentrating on Hyde Park. You will be within a good commute time to downtown. You will also be within reasonable distance to good Catholic schools.

The only area I would rate higher school wise is Blue Ash/Montgomery. Archbishop Moeller in Montgomery is a boys only school. Ursuline Academy in Blue Ash is a girls school. Both are top notch. You can't do better than these. On this strength alone I would recommend Blue Ash/Montgomery as your ideal location. In addition, the public school system is also very strong, which keeps property values up.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:44 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,462,558 times
With 5 kids at Catholic schools with limited bussing options.....you probably need to live very close to their schools.....so I'm thinking 1) Anderson----close to several Catholic schools and close to downtown---and several Catholic schools that are reasonably priced---, beautiful lots in subdivisions filled with kids, and very nice houses for the money, 2) West Chester-----close to Fenwick high school (reasonably priced), mecca of all soccer-moms, and because a couple school levy's have failed, there's a lot of good deals on houses right now----you can also hop on a Metro express bus at Rt. 75 and Tylersville that takes you to downtown for work---a good realtor in West Chester is John Boehner's wife---lovely person---good friend to have in Cinti------member of St. Maximillian Catholic Church, 3) Symmes Township (see real estate listing below for a 5 bedroom)---fairly close to Catholic schools----some is in the highly regarded Sycamore Schools (good for resale----but also lots of good kids)----as another poster suggested----Blue Ash is a very good possibility, too.

Symmes Township listing:

http://www.sibcy.com/viewlisting.asp...-Twp.-OH-45242

Last edited by flashes1; 02-06-2013 at 06:00 AM..

Old 02-06-2013, 06:31 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,951,520 times
Not terribly familiar with Catholic schools, but my first thought was Montgomery also.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,013,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot5 View Post
Thanks very much. I really appreciate any insight/help!
Hi Dot5--

I'm surprised nobody here has mentioned Fort Thomas, on the Kentucky side yet. It's got just about everything you're looking for (and houses probably in the 300k range), and would be a fraction of the commute time to Cincinnati as say, West Chester at rush hour. You could be in downtown in as little as 10-15 minutes from there, and it's got a pretty decent main strip that's walkable and all.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 AM

2,509 posts, read 3,352,752 times
I recommend Pleasant Ridge on the north side of Montgomery as well as Amberley, Mt. Lookout, and Hyde Park. I know of dozens of people with similar numbers of kids going to catholic schools in those areas right in your price range.

As the oldest of five kids who all went to catholic schools in Cincinnati and as a person with a job that allows me to evaluate high school graduates, I can tell you that all schools are not equal, particularly high schools. PM me with any questions you might have concerning local catholic schools.

Northern Kentucky should also be considered, although I am not as qualified to evaluate those schools and neighborhoods.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:40 AM

31,166 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Did anyone read the OP's post? S/he clearly mentioned suburbs and co-ed Catholic school.

That leaves out Moeller and Ursuline schools, as well as Pleasant Ridge, Mt. Lookout and Hyde Park, which are not suburbs.

Sheesh!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:49 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,013,183 times
Hi all--

I did.

That's why I recommended Fort Thomas, and the closest Catholic school there off the top of my head is NCC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or