U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati
4,007 posts, read 4,829,385 times
Reputation: 924

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Why don't you just make an arrangement with a neighbor to move your car if need be? It's not like it's a major hassle for someone who is present and able-bodied.
WLIW, can't you just move it to a side street?

I dunno, whatever floats your boat, but I have on-street parking and am fine with it.

 
Old 02-06-2013, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,189 posts, read 57,317,340 times
Reputation: 52039
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I may be looking to purchase another house in Covington though because it appears I will need off street parking because of the snow emergencies that area communities issue.
I wouldn't worry about it. If it snows that much more than twice a year, it's unusual. And there are always side streets or nearby parking lots.
 
Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 PM
 
5,648 posts, read 8,754,626 times
Reputation: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Why don't you just make an arrangement with a neighbor to move your car if need be? It's not like it's a major hassle for someone who is present and able-bodied.
I guess this begs the question whether or not I will be able to trust someone to do that if the time arises. And if they got into an accident who would be liable especially if it was the fault of the person driving my car? And would they be willing to move it back to my house for a while but then back to another safe spot if another snowfall occurs and another requirement to move the car arises? I'd be annoyed if someone asked me to do this and I had to park the car a half mile away and then retrieve and move it back and then back to the originating spot several times over a few days or a couple of weeks.

I don't know the people in Covington very well and cannot say one way or another how this might work out. But I know from past experience in several cities where I've lived that it is very unlikely you could count on any of your neighbors to do something like this if it was required. I'd rather not inconvenience someone like that.
 
Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 PM
 
5,648 posts, read 8,754,626 times
Reputation: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. If it snows that much more than twice a year, it's unusual. And there are always side streets or nearby parking lots.
Haven't you had more than two decent snowfalls already this year? I guess I will have to check out the side streets in the area more closely. Some of those areas look a bit sketchy and I wonder how safe my car would be if it had to sit there for a week.

When you say parking lots do you mean public parking or private? And what does it cost to park by the week in these lots?
 
Old 02-06-2013, 09:41 PM
 
5,648 posts, read 8,754,626 times
Reputation: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
WLIW, can't you just move it to a side street?

I dunno, whatever floats your boat, but I have on-street parking and am fine with it.
From time to time I dislocate my knee and get laid up for a period of time. It would be virtually impossible for me to try to move my car in the snow or even walk any distance to get home. And also, I have a slipped disc in my lower back that can act up and also put me off my feet for a couple of weeks at a time. While thankfully this has not happened in many years, I am trying to plan for a worst case scenario because one or both injuries are likely to happen again in the future though I don't know when or how. If I didn't have to move the car it would not be an issue. When I lived in Buffalo I did not have to move my car off the street in the snow and they get a ton of it.
 
Old 02-06-2013, 09:43 PM
 
Location: OH
361 posts, read 546,555 times
Reputation: 468
From personal experience, I do not find this thread surprising. Cincinnati's east side seems to be chock-full of flirtatious women 20-30 years my senior that I found very attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
In the more affluent parts of town such as Hyde Park, Indian Hill, Mason, and Montgomery, there are a lot of beautiful and well-put-together women----40's and early 50's. Well dressed and in good shape.
Bingo! The Little Miami Bike Trail is another area that I've been approached by several attractive middle-aged women.
 
Old 02-06-2013, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, MA
4,730 posts, read 10,936,243 times
Reputation: 6450
Why do you think there are lots of east-side women of a certain age on the prowl? A look at the quantity of men in the same stage of life with hot young trophy wives on their arm should clue you in. Then naturally there are the "career girls" who put marriage last and now find themselves with Demi Moore Syndrome.
 
Old 02-06-2013, 10:41 PM
 
1,295 posts, read 1,519,844 times
Reputation: 687
I don't know, I just think (no offense) you are being a bit of a worry wart if you are making a decision about which house to buy, due to the unlikely scenario that 1) there is a snow emergency at the same time that 2) you have a disabilitating injury and 3) no one trustworthy will be available to call in a favor for you in your time of injury. Heck, if you called the police and explained the situation, telling them you were worried about a tow/citation, you might get a cop to come help you move your car. I don't think the city of Covington is interested in penalizing their disabled citizens for being disabled.

Just seems like a big decision to make over an unlikely scenario. Do you even know what the penalties are for leaving your car out? They might be relatively insignificant.
 
Old 02-07-2013, 06:26 AM
 
5,648 posts, read 8,754,626 times
Reputation: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
I don't know, I just think (no offense) you are being a bit of a worry wart if you are making a decision about which house to buy, due to the unlikely scenario that 1) there is a snow emergency at the same time that 2) you have a disabilitating injury and 3) no one trustworthy will be available to call in a favor for you in your time of injury. Heck, if you called the police and explained the situation, telling them you were worried about a tow/citation, you might get a cop to come help you move your car. I don't think the city of Covington is interested in penalizing their disabled citizens for being disabled.

Just seems like a big decision to make over an unlikely scenario. Do you even know what the penalties are for leaving your car out? They might be relatively insignificant.
Since I've dealt with both these injury problems for many years, I prefer to consider it foresight and planning for a potential problem i.e. taking preventative measures. If I did not have these issues then yes, I would rightly say that I was over reacting and probably worry wort.

When I bought the place I knew it would only be a temporary home to get settled into the area. It's not big enough for me, lacks a decent sized cellar and yard and of course has no driveway.

I will have to see if my insurance would cover the individual driving my car or vice versa if I stay there for a winter and have to deal with this problem. My knee is susceptible to popping when I walk on snow or ice filled sidewalks. That has happened more than once.
 
Old 02-07-2013, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Mason, OH
9,259 posts, read 13,365,633 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Since I've dealt with both these injury problems for many years, I prefer to consider it foresight and planning for a potential problem i.e. taking preventative measures. If I did not have these issues then yes, I would rightly say that I was over reacting and probably worry wort.

When I bought the place I knew it would only be a temporary home to get settled into the area. It's not big enough for me, lacks a decent sized cellar and yard and of course has no driveway.

I will have to see if my insurance would cover the individual driving my car or vice versa if I stay there for a winter and have to deal with this problem. My knee is susceptible to popping when I walk on snow or ice filled sidewalks. That has happened more than once.
Anytime you have a physically liability which can stop you in your tracks, that is a reason for concern.
But I have to agree do not let it dominate you. I would feel more comfortable with the ability to at least pull a car into a driveway. But that is probably just our mentality.

So far this winter we have a couple of snows I should have shoveled. But I did not. Looked at the weather forecast, considered their factor of reliability versus my own judgement, and said NO this will melt before their next predicted apocalypse. The 50-degree temperature today will wipe out about any vestage of snow/ice we have around.

So hang in there. Seems like a house with at least a driveway would reduce your imbalance serveral-fold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top