U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 05:31 PM

38 posts, read 93,561 times

Advertisements

Hello again,
Well I have bugged everyone on this board to death, but alas I have another question.

I am looking for a Forest Hills parent to tell me how they feel the school district does with special needs children. We will be buying a house within a couple of months. My oldest has autism. Sycamore seems very equipped for special needs. However Forest Hills is much closer to where my husband took a job. I also love that Forest Hills goes K-6. That will give my son time to settle before he gets pushed into a huge middle school.
I did tour Forest Hills, but the women I spoke with were VERY evasive about questions regarding IEP's, services etc. Sycamore answered my questions directly.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has a special needs child in Forest Hills or knows how well they deal with those who aren't at the top of the class.

Thank you all again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growing2Boys View Post
Hello again,
Well I have bugged everyone on this board to death, but alas I have another question.

I am looking for a Forest Hills parent to tell me how they feel the school district does with special needs children. We will be buying a house within a couple of months. My oldest has autism. Sycamore seems very equipped for special needs. However Forest Hills is much closer to where my husband took a job. I also love that Forest Hills goes K-6. That will give my son time to settle before he gets pushed into a huge middle school.
I did tour Forest Hills, but the women I spoke with were VERY evasive about questions regarding IEP's, services etc. Sycamore answered my questions directly.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has a special needs child in Forest Hills or knows how well they deal with those who aren't at the top of the class.

Thank you all again!

I think you have answered your own question. If Sycamore answered you guestions directly and satisfactorly I think the quetion is apparent. Sycamore is a recognized superior schdool district in the area. If they offer what you need, try and locate there. The commute may be longer, but that pales with regards to your child's needs.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:12 PM

38 posts, read 93,561 times
Thanks Kjbrill. The negative with Sycamore is that it's only K-4th grade & then they spill them all into a HUGE intermediate school. I thought it would be really nice to have both of my boys in the same school until 7th grade in Forest Hills (especially since my son can't ride the bus & I have to drive them both to school)
Still, if I can't get any more info on Forest Hills I think I better go with Sycamore.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:24 PM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
I'm not a parent, but I can't imagine Forest Hills not having good educational options for its special needs students.

That being said, if you were more comfortable with your answers from Sycamore than your answers from Forest Hills, and can't find any additional information, Sycamore might be the better choice for your family.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
I know you have been mulling this over for some time, and it concerns you as it should. I will just reiterate Sycamore is recognized as a top school system in the Cincinnati area, as well it should be considering the suburbs it serves.

You commented the program they have is K-4 and then they put everyone into a HUGE intermediate school. But Sycamore gave you the best answers to your questions. If you want to see a HUGE intermediate school look at Mason. I don't believe Sycamore is even 30% as large. I also don't believe it is the size of the school which is important, but how it is organized. Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or