U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:04 AM

5,658 posts, read 8,767,561 times

Advertisements

Not everyone wants a lean cut of meat. The marbling effect of the fat in meat is what imparts the flavor and will help to keep it tender if it is not over cooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 10:08 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,834,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
You get what you pay for when it comes to the quality of meat. I don't want steroids in my meat or other un natural fillers like Pink Slime.
You get none of that with the two butchers I recommended. Nothing but high quality meats and fresh made sausage.

Oh, I was at Avril Bleh yesterday and sampled their in-store head cheese. It's the best I've ever had, and I really am not a head cheese fan. Theirs was delicious.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
You get none of that with the two butchers I recommended. Nothing but high quality meats and fresh made sausage.

Oh, I was at Avril Bleh yesterday and sampled their in-store head cheese. It's the best I've ever had, and I really am not a head cheese fan. Theirs was delicious.
I generally don't like fat in my meat either but some people do. That is why you can still find it in stores.

Head cheese. Too fatty for me.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I generally don't like fat in my meat either but some people do. That is why you can still find it in stores.

Head cheese. Too fatty for me.
Usually, I would agree. But theirs, being made by hand in-store, was exceptional.

When you get here, make sure to check these two shops out. I am a serious foodie, and to get my recommendation, the meats have to be the best.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:54 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,383,973 times
[quote=TomJones123;28164879]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post

You butcher must suck. Make the drive down to Eckerlin Meats at Findlay Market, or hit Avril Bleh on Court Street.

Eckerlin Meats at Findlay Market - Home Page - Call us at (513) 721-5743 Page - Call us at (513) 721-5743 or visit our storefront at Findlay Market, Cincinnati, Ohio

Avril-Bleh & Sons Meat Market Web Site's Home Page - Call (513) 241-2433 for prompt assistance.

Hell, if the drive is out of the question, I know Eckerlin will ship.
I am not talking about our independent butcher who is pretty decent. I think he struggles a little with consistency, but there he is at the mercy of his supplier.

I was talking about the so-called organic upscale markets such as Whole Foods which I find to just be expensive and not very good. I don't even like their organic vegetables as most of them look like they have the blight.

I do believe the number of independent butcher shops in the Cincinnati area is reduced from years ago, particularly since the metro area itself has grown so much without a corresponding growth in butchers. I also suspect the number of wholesale suppliers they have available to deal with is also down, so it is hard to differentiate.

Back in the days when we had companies such as Kahns who actually processed here in Cincinnati it must have been easier to get a quality supply. Kahns was known for their sausages, bacon, lunch meats, etc. but I am reasonably sure they did not grind up the whole animal as they actually slaughtered here. I cannot remember the name of the processor my butcher back in the 60s dealt with, but they were similar to Kahns in that they produced a line of lunch meats, sausages, etc. and also sold meat to local butcher shops and probably restaurants. I am not positive but I believe his supplier was Partridge.

I primarily bought freezer meat from him to feed our family. I still have that freezer, a Sears Kenmore Upright well over 45 years old and still kicking, never even a service call. I remember Marty saying what do you want prime or choice? I asked what is the difference? He responded I pay the distributor the same and will charge you the same, but prime has more fat and you will get less net yield after I trim it, particularly the ground beef sections. I said Marty our kids eat a lot of ground beef, make it choice.

We did business with Marty for well over 30 years. Like everything else eventually people get old and pass. Only once, in 30 plus years, did I have to call him up and say Marty that last side just doesn't have it, the quality is not there. He did not hesitate, Ken pack it up and bring it back and I will cut you a new one. A man in the meat business all his life and he cannot tell fom appearance? What chance do we have?

Old 02-09-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I was talking about the so-called organic upscale markets such as Whole Foods which I find to just be expensive and not very good. I don't even like their organic vegetables as most of them look like they have the blight.
I think Whole Foods is over priced and over rated. I'm not into organic because too much of what has that designation is inferior quality and expensive.

This is why I shop at Eckerlins and Avril Bleh. They are real butchers who are true craftsman in their trade. From Avril Bleh's website:

Quote:
What makes Avri-Bleh & Sons' sausages unique?

Their speciality seems to be sausage.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:02 AM

I shop at local markets and rarely venture in Hole Foods. A lot of their stuff is not organic anyway. I like to avoid eating veggies that are Genetically Modified and the best way to do that is to shop organic or grow your own and avoid seeds from companies like Monsanto.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I shop at local markets and rarely venture in Hole Foods. A lot of their stuff is not organic anyway. I like to avoid eating veggies that are Genetically Modified and the best way to do that is to shop organic or grow your own and avoid seeds from companies like Monsanto.
When you get here you have to check out:

Welcome to Daisy Mae's Market

and

Portal Page of Madison's at Findlay Market Web Site - Call (513)723-0590

Old 02-09-2013, 11:31 AM

Here's a video on Eckerlin. Brill, they showcase their Goetta in the clip.

http://www.eckerlinmeats.com/videos/...in-meats-1.mp4

Old 02-09-2013, 11:55 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,383,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Here's a video on Eckerlin. Brill, they showcase their Goetta in the clip.

http://www.eckerlinmeats.com/videos/...in-meats-1.mp4
I don't believe I ever said Eckerlin did not have good goetta. How could I since I have never had their product. I may have said I do not believe it can surpass our family recipe, and I will stand by that.

But I still wonder about the integrity of the local meat processing industry. Several smaller producers announce they prepare all products in house. That is fine. But where does the raw material originate from? Any difference from the suppliers of Kroger, Meijer, or Wal-Mart? If so, tell us why you are better.

There is a brand called Bar-S which I consider one of the worst in the industry. They advertise as the largest value brand in the country. They are value all right, so much value you can hardly choke it down.

I do not want to demonize the local butcher shops, but I do want them to tell us in plain language why we should patronize them. The IT Internet industry has convinced us we have to follow suit. OK, if you convince me you do a better job on my pallete I may agree. Untril then you are just maybe in the running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati