U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:18 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,832,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I don't believe I ever said Eckerlin did not have good goetta. How could I since I have never had their product. I may have said I do not believe it can surpass our family recipe, and I will stand by that.
I'm not trying to argue merits of goetta. I just though you would enjoy seeing what they do, and the recipe's history. It's over a hundred years old and they sell 500lbs a week.

Quote:
But I still wonder about the integrity of the local meat processing industry. Several smaller producers announce they prepare all products in house. That is fine. But where does the raw material originate from? Any difference from the suppliers of Kroger, Meijer, or Wal-Mart? If so, tell us why you are better.
Eckerlin uses local farms. Their meat is far superior to Kroger and the gang. Not even in the same class.

Quote:
I do not want to demonize the local butcher shops, but I do want them to tell us in plain language why we should patronize them. The IT Internet industry has convinced us we have to follow suit. OK, if you convince me you do a better job on my pallete I may agree. Untril then you are just maybe in the running.
Brill, you are free to call them and find out. But you can't demonize these guys with baseless speculation. Both shops do a thriving business and provide superior meats, and Eckerlin has been around for 150 years, run by the same family.

As much as you decry Cincinnati having lost it's heritage and not stacking up to the good old days, I thought you would enjoy supporting businesses that have stood the test of time and provide superior service from the good old days.

Check them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 12:42 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,224,709 times
Huh, Bar-S is the hot dog brand that you always see at the ghetto/prole grocery stores (Sav-A-Lot et al). That tells you something.

FWIW, I have NEVER been disappointed by meats from Costco. For ground beef it's a great choice for value and quality and they publicly disclaim pink slime. Their standard ground beef was $2.79 or so the last time we bought a flat of it. Steaks and chops from Costco are quite good, too.

If it weren't for Costco I'd find a butcher and probably do the freezer beef thing. My problem with Kroger is not so much quality as it is just plain expensive for whatever you're getting.

Have you guys ever seen one of these food shows on cable showing the manufacturing process for hot dogs and bologna (pretty much the same thing)? Right before it is injected into casings the meat filling is this swirling mass of pink goo. I don't get how it ever hardens into a firm product... the goo phase must melt the fats that congeal at fridge temperatures.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Have you guys ever seen one of these food shows on cable showing the manufacturing process for hot dogs and bologna (pretty much the same thing)? Right before it is injected into casings the meat filling is this swirling mass of pink goo. I don't get how it ever hardens into a firm product... the goo phase must melt the fats that congeal at fridge temperatures.
Which is why I only get meats from local butchers.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:30 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,124,530 times
Quote:
I don't believe I ever said Eckerlin did not have good goetta. How could I since I have never had their product. I may have said I do not believe it can surpass our family recipe, and I will stand by that.

But I still wonder about the integrity of the local meat processing industry. Several smaller producers announce they prepare all products in house. That is fine. But where does the raw material originate from? Any difference from the suppliers of Kroger, Meijer, or Wal-Mart? If so, tell us why you are better.

There is a brand called Bar-S which I consider one of the worst in the industry. They advertise as the largest value brand in the country. They are value all right, so much value you can hardly choke it down.

I do not want to demonize the local butcher shops, but I do want them to tell us in plain language why we should patronize them. The IT Internet industry has convinced us we have to follow suit. OK, if you convince me you do a better job on my pallete I may agree. Untril then you are just maybe in the running.
Ahem,,,,kjbrill,

TomJones123 isn't all bad.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Ahem,,,,kjbrill,

Why thank you!

Old 02-10-2013, 03:09 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,374,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Ahem,,,,kjbrill,

Never said he was.

I am just starting to think about whether there is a time of year when meat, particularly beef, varies in quality. It is starting to register on me that February is probably not the main time of year for beef raised in the US to be taken to market.

My wife likes to shop at Meijer. She likes how so many things are available there in addition to food. Me, when I want food I want food, anything else is secondary. I will go to a store for one specific thing. I go to Meijer specifically to buy round steak. I have trouble finding round steak at other markets. I buy round steak for two specific purposes:

1) I just love swiss steak. Take a big ole round steak and cut it into quarters or eighths depending on size. I always cook it in a plastic cooking bag in a large pyrex oven dish. A package of swiss steak spices, which I buy at Kroger and usually have on hand, a can of diced tomatoes, a can of tomato paste, and a can of whole tomatoes. Sprinkle in a little flour or corn starch for some added body. Bake that at 325 degrees for close to three hours. Whip up some mashed potatoes to spoon that tomato based gravy over. My favorite side dish is a can of Glory brand Southern green beans.

2) I am a chili fan. Even though I love Cincinnati style chili and make it often, I also like variations, particularly southwestern. I take a round steak and put it into the freezer until it gets semi-firm. Then I get out the cutting board and slice it into about 1/4" cubes. I then put it into my cast iron dutch oven and brown it a portion at a time. No ground beef in this chili for me. Then comes some more tomato, maybe diced with pepper slices added, and sauce rather than paste. A package of chili spices, Kroger's Hot variety suits me fine. A couple of cans of Kroger chili hot kidney beans and I am ready to go. Bring it a a broil and then simmer the longer the better. We serve it with diced onions and shredded cheese, we typically just skip the spaghetti.

A couple of things mistify me. Obviously I shop often at Kroger. So why can't I buy an economical and decent round steak there? And while I buy round steak at Meijer, why can't I buy a decent chuck roast there for my next favorite meal - pot roast? Good thing I am retired and we visit all of them each week.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 PM

688 posts, read 864,270 times
I remember hearing news reports that Kroger banned the sale of "pink slime" beef in their stores after the national outcry last year. Hopefully this implies a much closer inspection of the meat they stock in their refrigerators.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 PM

688 posts, read 864,270 times
Kroger equity doing quite well these days.

Is This Traditional Grocer Becoming Less Traditional? - SWY, TGT, TFM, KR, WMT, WFM - Foolish Blogging Network
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati