Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:52 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times

Advertisements

What's the word on the ground meat department?

My "most frequented British site" is talking quite a lot about the horse meat in the meat products, one being lasagna, and numbers like 60% and finding chemicals (phenylbutazone) used on horses that aren't allowed for humans.

Is the era of the supermarket to end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
You would need to find a source showing which stores in the USA are using this meat, if any. I try to buy all natural meat or organic and I doubt any of that junk will find its way into the better grade beef in this country.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:59 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
You would need to find a source showing which stores in the USA are using this meat, if any. I try to buy all natural meat or organic and I doubt any of that junk will find its way into the better grade beef in this country.
I told my wife if she did not quit going to the organic stores and buying their horribly overpriced meat I would cut off her food allowance. I am not against organic foods, what I am against is paying high prices for meat which is inferior in quality, full of fat and gristle and devoid of taste.

Not that this is just the organic stores. Last week the wife decided we had not had steak for awhile and bought a large package of rib-eyes at Kroger. On the surface they looked fine. I have told her NEVER, NEVER, EVER buy the Kroger Select brand of meat. It looks fine on the surface, which tells your inability to distinguish by appearance, but once you cook it is pure junk. I know rib-eye is a heavily marbeled meat, similar to prime rib. I also know the better ones are extremely tender. This stuff was horrible. She paid a good price and I threw all of mine down the disposal.

This situation in the UK is no different than when we are warned of E-Coli outbreaks from some processing plants in the US, whether it is beef, chicken, or whatever. Years ago I ate young horse on a regular basis. My only opinion was the steaks were a little sweeter than cattle. Obviously if not labeled as horse it is fraud and the perpetrators should be prosecuted.

We do have a local butcher we are patronizing more and more. But he is strictly dependent on his supplier. Not particularly happy with the quality consistency. But we did enjoy the fresh turkey (and expensive) for Thanksgiving. This winter we have purchased 4 pork shoulders and tubs of beef ribs which have made great goetta. For some reason the ribs had a lot more meat content than anything we have seen in the supermarket. On a per lb basis it has been expensive, but for our goetta we will endure a lot.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,997 times
Brill, which butcher, may I ask?

Old 02-08-2013, 09:33 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,502 times
[quote=kjbrill;28152218]I told my wife if she did not quit going to the organic stores and buying their horribly overpriced meat I would cut off her food allowance.

OK, Kjbrill. So sorry your wife's food allowance is /could be cut off ... poor woman ... poor woman!

Old 02-09-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Brill, which butcher, may I ask?
Butcher Bills at Tylervsille & Reading Rd.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:28 AM

[quote=joyeaux;28161255]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I told my wife if she did not quit going to the organic stores and buying their horribly overpriced meat I would cut off her food allowance.

OK, Kjbrill. So sorry your wife's food allowance is /could be cut off ... poor woman ... poor woman!
I would feel differently except I have yet to have a decent piece of meat from them. Even the ground beef is full of gristle. My wife of course controls the food budget as she controls the bank account. But if I rave and rant enough she will stop doing certain things.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:13 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times
I don't have too much trouble with Kroger beef or pork, although I much prefer buying it from Eckerlin's at Findlay Market, or Avril's on Court Street. What I flat out refuse to buy at Kroger are those nasty, rank, industrial chickens and other poultry. Aside from the fact that I always detect an odor on them and they have that yellow slime all over them, they are just not processed properly. As far back as the '70s my grandmother complained about Kroger chicken because it was full of blood. She always said when her father would butcher one of their own chickens, he always bled them clean. That finally hit home to me several years ago when I had some Tyson or one of those other store brands and despite cooking it to death, blood continued to spew forth. It was disgusting and we threw it away. Since then, (and since Bracke's in Mt Lookout closed) I only buy chicken and turkey from Busch's at Findlay Market...fresh, clean, a bit more expensive, but SO much better.

Incidentally, my grandfather was also turned off by Kroger's meat department. Back when there was still a store at Tri-County Mall, there was always a bit of an odor around the meat case and the back of the store. He was a meat cutter for a time at a Kroger in the 1930s, and he said that there was never ever a smell when he worked there. He claimed that the key was that each morning they layered the floor with sawdust, and that caught all of the drippings and trimmed parts. At the end of the day, they would simply sweep it out, no muss, no fuss. He thought it was rather ironic since that method while in his mind was superior would never be allowed by a modern health department. To Kroger's credit, I don't detect the odors anymore that were definitely a problem 25 years ago.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:16 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
[quote=kjbrill;28163870]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post

I would feel differently except I have yet to have a decent piece of meat from them. Even the ground beef is full of gristle. My wife of course controls the food budget as she controls the bank account. But if I rave and rant enough she will stop doing certain things.
You butcher must suck. Make the drive down to Eckerlin Meats at Findlay Market, or hit Avril Bleh on Court Street.

Eckerlin Meats at Findlay Market - Home Page - Call us at (513) 721-5743 Page - Call us at (513) 721-5743 or visit our storefront at Findlay Market, Cincinnati, Ohio

Avril-Bleh & Sons Meat Market Web Site's Home Page - Call (513) 241-2433 for prompt assistance.

Hell, if the drive is out of the question, I know Eckerlin will ship.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:01 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I told my wife if she did not quit going to the organic stores and buying their horribly overpriced meat I would cut off her food allowance. I am not against organic foods, what I am against is paying high prices for meat which is inferior in quality, full of fat and gristle and devoid of taste.

Not that this is just the organic stores. Last week the wife decided we had not had steak for awhile and bought a large package of rib-eyes at Kroger. On the surface they looked fine. I have told her NEVER, NEVER, EVER buy the Kroger Select brand of meat. It looks fine on the surface, which tells your inability to distinguish by appearance, but once you cook it is pure junk. I know rib-eye is a heavily marbeled meat, similar to prime rib. I also know the better ones are extremely tender. This stuff was horrible. She paid a good price and I threw all of mine down the disposal.

This situation in the UK is no different than when we are warned of E-Coli outbreaks from some processing plants in the US, whether it is beef, chicken, or whatever. Years ago I ate young horse on a regular basis. My only opinion was the steaks were a little sweeter than cattle. Obviously if not labeled as horse it is fraud and the perpetrators should be prosecuted.

We do have a local butcher we are patronizing more and more. But he is strictly dependent on his supplier. Not particularly happy with the quality consistency. But we did enjoy the fresh turkey (and expensive) for Thanksgiving. This winter we have purchased 4 pork shoulders and tubs of beef ribs which have made great goetta. For some reason the ribs had a lot more meat content than anything we have seen in the supermarket. On a per lb basis it has been expensive, but for our goetta we will endure a lot.
You get what you pay for when it comes to the quality of meat. I don't want steroids in my meat or other un natural fillers like Pink Slime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati