U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 02:50 PM

124 posts, read 140,760 times

Advertisements

I lived in Clifton 1990-1995, but I realize a lot has changed. I may be there Saturday, and need a place within walking distance of the University to plant myself in the evening while awaiting a ride with a friend. (I know the Corryville strip is much changed--and not for the better--since my days of frequenting Short Vine.)

I'm thinking of a place where I can eat, but not be hurriedly shooed out after I am finished, and where I can order drinks (non-alcoholic) and small snacks while reading or writing in my journal, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,828,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conusmound View Post
I lived in Clifton 1990-1995, but I realize a lot has changed. I may be there Saturday, and need a place within walking distance of the University to plant myself in the evening while awaiting a ride with a friend. (I know the Corryville strip is much changed--and not for the better--since my days of frequenting Short Vine.)

I'm thinking of a place where I can eat, but not be hurriedly shooed out after I am finished, and where I can order drinks (non-alcoholic) and small snacks while reading or writing in my journal, etc.
There's a Starbucks on McMillan near West Clifton.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:58 PM

688 posts, read 863,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conusmound View Post

Chipotle and Jimmy John's are right next to DuBois Bookstore. Both would allow you to see the street from inside so your friend can pull up curb side. Food is good... and cheap.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:18 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,933,946 times
Martino's on Vine is still there. They're a sports bar first and foremost (never mind that the proprietors are Pittsburgh fans. ) But there's little to no pressure to order alcoholic beverages nonetheless. They strive to be family-friendly so as to draw in the relatives - including younger siblings - of UC students. Relative to many bars a higher proportion of the space is taken up by tables rather than by the bar itself. I doubt a single eyebrow would be raised if the OP set up shop by a window and ordered, say, mozzarella sticks and a Pepsi. They serve plenty of appetizers + salads in addition to the predictable fare of "generic" Italian dishes + sandwiches + bar food. My visits there have always been unhurried, and attended to by jovial staff. The other folks of all ages have appeared happy too.
Short Vine has definitely skidded way into sketchy. Even Metro bus routes forsake it in favor of Jefferson Ave now. But since Martino's is fronted by picture windows it should be easy enough for your friend to roll up and call you outside with headlight flashes and a wave.
I've not had a chance to check out Adriatico's since their big relocation to East McMillan, but their atmosphere might be casual enough to allow for paying customers who want to linger.
Also - depending on which side of campus would be more convenient - those classic standbys Skyline Chili and Graeter's have never moved from their perches along Ludlow.

Last edited by goyguy; 02-13-2013 at 05:34 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 PM

577 posts, read 1,004,368 times
If you don't mind the walk I would say go to Skyline on Ludlow and then hop across the street to Arlin's for a drink.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:29 PM

864 posts, read 1,196,883 times
Maybe Adrioticos?

Old 02-13-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
If you don't mind the walk I would say go to Skyline on Ludlow and then hop across the street to Arlin's for a drink.
Only problem with that plan is, the OP specified "non-alcoholic." From my experience with Arlin's I'd only go back there if it WERE for some boozing.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Only problem with that plan is, the OP specified "non-alcoholic." From my experience with Arlin's I'd only go back there if it WERE for some boozing.
Arlin's does have food though. But, I'm on the same page. I only go there for drinks.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:19 PM

For the chance to use the word "execrable" today, I'll use it to describe the eats at Arlin's.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
For the chance to use the word "execrable" today, I'll use it to describe the eats at Arlin's.
I appreciate the warning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati