U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 09:43 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,522,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Why do anything aesthetic at all, right?

Why shouldn't Mason have attractive street lighting? And who are you to decide?
I suggested a style be chosen which is more complimentary to the context of the area. Guess that flew over your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,392,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
I suggested a style be chosen which is more complimentary to the context of the area. Guess that flew over your head.
And I suggest Mason is just as well enabled to install faux gaslight lighting with an attractive streetscape as any other place in ths area. And just what would you consider to be more complementary to the area, aircraft landing lights or beacons?

Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 PM

If they were functional, that might actually be cool. I think the gaslights are not being honest about the context in which they're located. They're trying to evoke a "traditional Main Street" feel in an area which is distinctly not that.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
If they were functional, that might actually be cool. I think the gaslights are not being honest about the context in which they're located. They're trying to evoke a "traditional Main Street" feel in an area which is distinctly not that.
When you say functional, you mean actually gas lite. What percentage of so-called gaslights do you believe are actually gas lite in Cincinnati? I don't believe a very high percentage. And don't forget, unless they are using propane or some other sort of gas supply, they are being serviced by Duke Energy.

This is a silly argument. If Mason wants to install faux gaslights to enhance the appeal, that is their prerogative. For you to say they should not do that because it is a newer suburb is rather rediculous.

If you go back to the original land grants which became the State of Ohio, you will probably find out those who created Mason may actually pre-date the founders of Cincinnati. Obviously Cincinnati grew faster. But that does not mean Mason is not entitled to install their own gaslights.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:42 PM

Nooo, sorry, my "functional" comment was about your suggestion of aircraft landing lights/beacons. I meant, if they served the purpose of a streetlight, that might be an interesting idea to pursue.

Yeah, they can put in whatever lights they want. And I can critique the context-inappropriateness of the aesthetic all I want.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Nooo, sorry, my "functional" comment was about your suggestion of aircraft landing lights/beacons. I meant, if they served the purpose of a streetlight, that might be an interesting idea to pursue.

Yeah, they can put in whatever lights they want. And I can critique the context-inappropriateness of the aesthetic all I want.
And everyone who wants to critique the suburbs for their stereotyped duplicity can make the same argument. But when they do attempt to upgrade the design and appeal you say they are not entitled to it? What is that meant to convey? Only Cincinnati, due to their vast history, is entitled to bring back the aesthetics of years past?

Sounds like a fear the suburbs, if they put a mind to it, could actually create an appealing living environment for their citizens. I personally believe this has been going on for a long time, most of my life. As I know I am in my twilight, I am not too personally concerned. The ones who come after me, particularly my grandkids, I have much more concern for than me personally.

And these throbs on the suburbs are going to benefit them how exactly?

Let me take it another step, how will my great-grandkids benefit from these initiatives?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:06 AM

Downtown Lebanon would be perfectly suited to these, as would old Mason. I would not like to see them at the Banks. It has nothing to do with a city-suburb war.

All I am saying is context is important. You can't just take one thing that works well one place and import it somewhere that lacks the context which makes it work well. These work in the gaslight districts of Cincinnati because they complement the historic character of the area. That is what makes them charming. Outside of that context, they seem forced to me.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:15 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,959,643 times
Although I'm partial to Woes Lawn I have to say that its gaslight district seems a bit on the "forced" side to me. Nowadays at least the trees which were probably planted at the same time house foundations were dug have, naturally, matured. Something's off kilter about a street if it's gaslit but not shaded. OTOH since "gaslight area" and "historic" tend to coincide - not without connotations of class either - the gaslights lining that collection of five streets with "Place" in their names are out of their element in a way. The neighborhood, constructed mainly between the late 1930's and late 1940's, has never been an address for wealthy families or any with household-word names. None of its houses will appear on an architectural tour. As incongruous as the gaslights may be, though, they lend the impression of quiet and secure surroundings. That's a plus for any location no matter how old the trees or how fancy the homes.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 PM

114 posts, read 172,008 times
Maybe instead of spending tax dollars on fancy gaslights (which presumably are more expensive than more traditional streetlights) Mason should spend their money on actually attempting to make the city a more walkable place where these gaslights would make more sense.

To clarify, by walkable, I actually mean in a useful way such as to school, work, shopping, entertainment, etc. Walking around a subdivision or along a 5 lane freeway is not particularly useful other than for exercise which could probably be done on a treadmill in a beautifully finished basement.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio123 View Post
Maybe instead of spending tax dollars on fancy gaslights (which presumably are more expensive than more traditional streetlights) Mason should spend their money on actually attempting to make the city a more walkable place where these gaslights would make more sense.

To clarify, by walkable, I actually mean in a useful way such as to school, work, shopping, entertainment, etc. Walking around a subdivision or along a 5 lane freeway is not particularly useful other than for exercise which could probably be done on a treadmill in a beautifully finished basement.
I suggest you actually look at a map of Mason. Walkable, ain't never going to happen. I have an auto mechanic who has a shop in the original downtown. I needed some brake work recently. Dropped the car off and Sam asked if I needed a ride home? I said no I will walk. What a stupid mistake that was. Yes I have walked it before, probably 25 years ago. By the time I got home I was wheezing and thinking I was about to die. Won't do that again. In fact a week later I thought better get the brakes checked on our second vehicle. Took it up to Sam's. This time I was smart enough to have him take me home since everyone else was running around doing something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati