U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 04:50 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,929,204 times

Advertisements

There's something about seeing gaslights along a street instead of any other kind of illumination that adds to the street's appeal. In Cincinnati the gaslights are distinctive with their fixtures which look sort of like glass vases, with some frilly stuff ornamenting the top. None of them are actually gas powered any more, but most still contain incandescent filaments that emit a warm glow. (A few on and around Ludlow Ave have been "modernized" with fluorescent lighting. That detracts from some of the appeal.)
Whether by coincidence or not, gaslit neighborhoods tend to be more "desirable." Any actual effect on property values is dubious. But I bet there's some enhancement to the price of a property if the listing includes "gaslight district" or "gaslit street."
Most people automatically associate Clifton with "gaslight district." Indeed, houses/apartments are nearly always advertised as being in "Clifton gaslight" or simply in the "gaslight area." Just about every street there, save for MLK Drive and points south, is lined with these old-school streetlamps.
But Clifton isn't the only community which can boast of having gaslights. The mansion-lined streets of North Avondale and parts of Walnut Hills are illuminated the same way. So are sections of Pleasant Ridge and College Hill, among other areas. There's even a lesser-known "gaslight district" in Roselawn, bounded on the west by Brookcrest Dr and comprising all of the streets between Section Rd and Losantiville Ave. Oddly enough, the homes in that district are more modest as a rule than those in the neighboring "garden district" west of Reading Rd with its funky rambling Tudors. Maybe developing the blocks of small but charming Capes, ranch houses, and Colonials, with gaslights was a way to give bragging rights to the residents there?
Outside the city limits, the most prominent (and perhaps only) community with gaslit streets is Glendale. They blend in nicely with the shaded blocks of substantial houses.
Just thought I'd post this "ode" to gaslights and the neighborhoods they can be found in - there's no motive or discussion topic beyond that. But chime on in, especially if you can look out from where you live and see one on your street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 05:24 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,652,150 times
When I lived in Pleasant Ridge, there were gaslights on my street. They are elegant and stately and a Cincinnati treasure.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:56 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
When I lived in Pleasant Ridge, there were gaslights on my street. They are elegant and stately and a Cincinnati treasure.
If they were such a delight and a treasure, then why did you move?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:41 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I can't speak for Abr, but there were opportunities that were too good to pass up that landed me in Ohio. I still miss other places I've lived and where I am from. Has nothing to do with where I am at, or even potentially moving back to any of these places. Clear as mud?

Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,013 times
So, Tom, you're telling us gas lights weren't a big part of your decision on where to live?

Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
So, Tom, you're telling us gas lights weren't a big part of your decision on where to live?

No, for me, I came to Cincinnati to be near Children's Hospital for a pending, major surgery for my child. With that behind us, I have decided to stay in Cincinnati for it's urban center and SCPA/CPS. My next move is downtown/OTR/Pendleton/Prospect Hill, and it's coming soon. My current home has always been perfect for a rental, and I had that in mind when I purchased it.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:29 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,022,655 times
Oakley has a fairly large amount of gaslights on streets like Drakewood, where you might expect to find them, and also on streets like Oak Park Place, where you wouldn't. About 5 or 6 years ago, the lamps were upgraded to have double mantels, and it made the light cast by them somewhat usable.

Goyguy, you probably need to go back and check, because your statement that "none of them are actually gas powered anymore" is incorrect. Believe me, I've called Cincinnati Gaslight enough times about broken mantels and gas valves that howl loud enough to wake you up at night to know.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,652,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Life intervenes sometimes, kjbrill. I was going through some personal troubles and moved out west for awhile. And I'm very happy that I did, having met some of the best friends I have in my life out in Colorado and Wyoming. That doesn't mean it was easy to leave Cincinnati or to sell that house in Pleasant Ridge. And it certainly is irrelevant to gas lamps.

Does that answer your question adequately enough?

Old 02-21-2013, 09:48 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,013 times
Tom, glad to hear your kid made her/his way out of the health trouble. I had wondered why you would pick CUF. Sort of figured you liked the youthful energy of a college environment or something along those lines. Are there any gaslights up that way? I can't remember any.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Tom, glad to hear your kid made her/his way out of the health trouble. I had wondered why you would pick CUF. Sort of figured you liked the youthful energy of a college environment or something along those lines. Are there any gaslights up that way? I can't remember any.
Thanks!!

I picked my spot in CUF for proximity to Children's, amenities, walk-ability, transit routes, very close to OTR and Findlay (walk there frequently), parks, and McMillan / Calhoun business districts. Though there are a lot of students in the area, they tend to be more concentrated north of Warner. I am on the southern edge of the neighborhood where there are more non-college types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati