U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 12:42 PM

101 posts, read 149,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincylifer View Post
As a parent, I can say that it is HARD to beat the parental involvement than what occurs at Sycamore, (sometimes too much parental involvement, but thats another thread..lol)
Those Aviator parents at Sycamore are piloting helicopters, eh?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 02:46 PM

5,318 posts, read 6,616,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDXUFan View Post
I would not move into the West Clermont School District. First, too cheapo to provide bus service for high school students. Yes, we pay a fortune in property taxes.

The property taxes in west Clermont county are still lower than in Hamilton county.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:54 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The property taxes in west Clermont county are still lower than in Hamilton county.
But you have to evaluate property taxes on a more global basis, They do of course include the school taxes, which today are probably the largest component. So If your schools are doing well and you are content with the services you receive then definitely step up here and say so. I feel the suburbs offer the greatest value around and are the reason for the biggest overall growth.

I do realize I am not infallible, never said I was. But to demonize a school district like West Clermont to me is to degrade piublic education on the whole in the US. And this is something I just am not willing to accept. This country has always supported public education and I belierve always will.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 PM

688 posts, read 863,714 times
Just learned that West Clermont is on the verge of being placed on financial emergency should the upcoming levy attempt fail again. This is according to one of the big three credit ratings agencies which already downgraded the credit rating from Aa3 to A1.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:04 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,520,060 times
You get what you pay for.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:15 PM

60 posts, read 130,447 times
Quote:

I also did some digging on other stats

SAT average
1.Indian Hill
2. sycamore
3. mason
4. mariemont

Number of national merit semifinalists 2012
Sycamore 17, Walnut Hills 22, but Walnut Hills is so much larger than sycamore, so as a percentage of the student population, Sycamore tops all schools.
According to the Ohio HS Athletic Assoc., enrollment for grades 9-12 at Walnut Hills is about 1,525; at Sycamore about 1,775.

And from High schools with the highest SAT scores in Greater Cincinnati: SLIDESHOW - Business Courier

For SAT Scores, Indian Hill is 7th, Sycamore is 12th, Mason is 5th, Mariemont is 6th, and Walnut Hills is first.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:44 AM

114 posts, read 171,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GManorborn View Post
According to the Ohio HS Athletic Assoc., enrollment for grades 9-12 at Walnut Hills is about 1,525; at Sycamore about 1,775.

And from High schools with the highest SAT scores in Greater Cincinnati: SLIDESHOW - Business Courier

For SAT Scores, Indian Hill is 7th, Sycamore is 12th, Mason is 5th, Mariemont is 6th, and Walnut Hills is first.
GManorborn...stop citing your sources with actual links (instead of just throwing out random stats), your making the other posters look bad.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:31 AM

252 posts, read 860,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GManorborn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio123 View Post
GManorborn...stop citing your sources with actual links (instead of just throwing out random stats), your making the other posters look bad.

I thought Walnut was larger than Sycamore, so it was an honest mistake, albeit negligible. Regarding the SAT data, I stand by the stats which WERE included in the link that I provided. Depending on the publication, and year, Wyoming, Walnut, Sycamore and Indian Hill will swap places regarding test data.

Walnut Hills was not included in the cincy mag, only public school districts, and schools with two high schools in the district were not broken out, so for example, Turpin was not on my list because averaged with Anderson,since the are both in Forest Hills, and it was not in the top 5 overall.

The whole point of the thread is to show the OP that there are a host of school districts better than West Clermont.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:49 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Quote:
I thought Walnut was larger than Sycamore, so it was an honest mistake, albeit negligible. Regarding the SAT data, I stand by the stats which WERE included in the link that I provided. Depending on the publication, and year, Wyoming, Walnut, Sycamore and Indian Hill will swap places regarding test data.

Walnut Hills was not included in the cincy mag, only public school districts, and schools with two high schools in the district were not broken out, so for example, Turpin was not on my list because averaged with Anderson,since the are both in Forest Hills, and it was not in the top 5 overall.

The whole point of the thread is to show the OP that there are a host of school districts better than West Clermont.
And I agree there are a host of school distrcts better than West Clermont. But those better districts also come with higher home prices and tax evaluations which when coupled with the tax rates equal more money, sometimes considerable, spent.

I am constantly amazed that the town I grew up in, Madeira, maintains its school rankings. Then I look at the average cost of a dinky, 6-room cape cod on a 50 x 150 ft. lot with a single car garage, if any, like I grew up in, and I go OMYGOD. Then I look up the property taxes and I go OMYGOD-II. I appreciated the education I got at Madeira, particularly when I went to university and realized we had in-depth study of subjects some of my classmates had never heard of. But that was many, many years ago. Madeira is a small town. It is also a bedroom community, having virtually no business taxes to provide income. It is going to struggle to keep up with these school costs, home prices, and tax rates. As Madeira ages, which it is, I expect they will experience more problems. Thankfully the school population is likely decreasing, not increasing.

But I am not going to knock West Clermont strictly based on the fact there are better school districts in the area. The OP had some specific questions concerning AP courses the kids have been enrolled in. I suggested to contract the school administration as to whether these AP courses were offered and whether they would likely be dropped if the next school levy does not pass.

I just don't readily accept the you get what you pay for theory. Everyone which feels you are getting what you pay for out of both the State and the Federal governments stand up and clap.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:50 AM

252 posts, read 860,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
And I agree there are a host of school distrcts better than West Clermont. But those better districts also come with higher home prices and tax evaluations which when coupled with the tax rates equal more money, sometimes considerable, spent.

I am constantly amazed that the town I grew up in, Madeira, maintains its school rankings. Then I look at the average cost of a dinky, 6-room cape cod on a 50 x 150 ft. lot with a single car garage, if any, like I grew up in, and I go OMYGOD. Then I look up the property taxes and I go OMYGOD-II. I appreciated the education I got at Madeira, particularly when I went to university and realized we had in-depth study of subjects some of my classmates had never heard of. But that was many, many years ago. Madeira is a small town. It is also a bedroom community, having virtually no business taxes to provide income. It is going to struggle to keep up with these school costs, home prices, and tax rates. As Madeira ages, which it is, I expect they will experience more problems. Thankfully the school population is likely decreasing, not increasing.

But I am not going to knock West Clermont strictly based on the fact there are better school districts in the area. The OP had some specific questions concerning AP courses the kids have been enrolled in. I suggested to contract the school administration as to whether these AP courses were offered and whether they would likely be dropped if the next school levy does not pass.

I just don't readily accept the you get what you pay for theory. Everyone which feels you are getting what you pay for out of both the State and the Federal governments stand up and clap.
agreed, but I will add that there are a ton of price points in Forest Hills district, and Sycamore, because they pull from several neighborhoods, at least sycamore does. I live on a nice street, 2200 sq ft house, 4 bd room and my taxes are not that bad, considering all of the services that I receive. I am certainly not on the high end at all. What I like about Sycamore district is that you can have a house that costs 50k or 2 million, there is a price point for everyone. For 200k, you definitely get less house in say Wyoming,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati