U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 02:51 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,386,808 times

Advertisements

And you get a whole lot less in Madeira. As I have said, I grew up in Madeira. After graduating from UC and getting married, we bought a small 1160 sq. ft. 3 BR ranch in Madeira for $14,500 in 1965. The kitchen was so small you had to walk sideways to pass in it. I just looked it up today. Its market value on the tax rolls is $156,000, and the annual taxes $3,900 - rediculous.

We sold that sucker in 1976 for $40,500 (I was so happy some dummy paid that much for it) and bought our current 10 room, 5 BR, 2-story house in Mason on a 1 acre lot for $61,000. Over twice the house on 3 times the land, I was overjoyed.

My current annual taxes here in Mason are $2,400 or 61% of that bandbox in Madeira. So when you talk about getting what you pay for, yes but watch out you can be skinned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 01:26 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,522,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincylifer View Post
I thought Walnut was larger than Sycamore, so it was an honest mistake, albeit negligible. Regarding the SAT data, I stand by the stats which WERE included in the link that I provided. Depending on the publication, and year, Wyoming, Walnut, Sycamore and Indian Hill will swap places regarding test data.

Walnut Hills was not included in the cincy mag, only public school districts, and schools with two high schools in the district were not broken out, so for example, Turpin was not on my list because averaged with Anderson,since the are both in Forest Hills, and it was not in the top 5 overall.
Here is some new data, regarding National Merit Scholars, which was something you mentioned:

"Last month, Mason High School celebrated a record number of National Merit finalists – 19 – second in the region, behind Cincinnati’s Walnut Hills High School."
via http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ool-s-strategy

The article is about the enormous size of Mason HS, which is the biggest in the state. So on your per capita measure, Walnut Hills beats the poop out of Mason on this metric. Not sure where other schools sit.

I hope you guys realize it's pretty special to have an inner-city school that performs so well. Even though it's a magnet school, their admissions are not very strict and not capped.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:08 PM

73 posts, read 72,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The property taxes in west Clermont county are still lower than in Hamilton county.
Depends on the district, my Dad pays much less than we do. Dad lives in Reading. You might thinking of Cincinnati Public? I was talking about taxes to the school districts. Yes, per Dusty Rhodes, they are higher. This is because Clermont County voters vote down every thing in sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati