U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 PM

294 posts, read 406,865 times

Advertisements

I have been wondering about the relationship between the building of the freeway and the disection of Blair. it runs from a hilltop on west side of Reading Road and ends on the other side of the freeway well into walnut Hills. When was the freeway built. When did the high school become the best public high school in Ohio ? So, the walnut Hills end got a very impressive prep school campus and the Avondale side got... ? I understand there are open boundaries but for Walnut Hills one must test in. Well, that sounds fair ( not ).

How did this contribute to the decline of Reading ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 11:14 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,946,405 times
Blair Ave formerly dead-ended on the hillside above Victory Parkway. There was a small wooded area between the cul-de-sac and the parkway which was a much-loved landmark. (Oddly, there's also an unconnected "continuation" of the street - with the same name - east of the parkway and beyond the high school. It's still there with that name even though the western portion was extended southward to Gilbert Ave.) When plans for I-71 were announced there was an outcry over the impending destruction of the trees for an interchange. What ended up satisfying no one was the compromise solution of not building exit ramps but obliterating much of the woods anyway. Farther north, the filthy-rich landed gentry of Indian Hill managed to halt the Cross-County Highway (please don't call it the Reagan Highway) from extending east of Montgomery Rd into their hallowed ground to link with I-275. The far less affluent people of Evanston didn't have the same luxury, so 71 ripped their neighborhood asunder.
Blair has its place in the Jewish history of Cincinnati, for not only did it serve as home for some of the earliest Jewish settlers in the city it was the site of the original Jewish Community Center. (The site was turned over to the Cincinnati Recreation Commission and remains in use.) During the 1950's the JCC followed the majority of its patrons north and was re-established on what oddly had stayed farmland, along Summit Rd on the fringe of Roselawn. Then ongoing demographic shifts led to yet another relocation - to nearby Amberley Village - during the '90s. Vestiges of the Roselawn facility were maintained for such things as English classes for immigrant Russian Jews until even later. After that it was taken over by a short-lived charter school. Presently the "exodus" pattern is being repeated by New Prospect Baptist Church, a Black congregation which has worshiped in Over-the-Rhine for over a century. The church has acquired the property and is in a fund-raising campaign to level the former JCC buildings in favor of some of their own design.
But, I digress. What else is new?
I think that even many native Cincinnatians don't know the right answer to the trivia question, "What city neighborhood is Walnut Hills High School situated in?" Because the correct response is, "Evanston!" Walnut Hills does lie nearby, but I suspect its name was used because it sounded more prestigious. Avondale is also close at hand, so it's not as though it was slighted in terms of proximity to the "exam" high school. In fact it was far from under-represented in the student body - until the Jews began bailing out for greener pastures. (Politically incorrect to say, but true.)
I-71 was only the latest in a chain of events that saw some inner-city neighborhoods take a turn for the worse.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:41 PM

Default go to the head of the class, goyboy

Thanks, that explains some things. So, Avondale kids went to Walnut Hills , before it was the best in Ohio ? They did not go to the high school across from Swifton village ?

I bet the people at Northwestern think Evanston sounds OK

Old 02-23-2013, 09:41 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,025,683 times
These threads will give you a little more perspective on your questions:

Anyone know the history of Reading Rd.?

What Happened to Walnut Hills Proper?

Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 AM

Default Thanks for the old threads

i will read them .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati