U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:58 AM

294 posts, read 406,087 times
That is what i thought it stood for, but hey, it is a differnt country so I verify ! We call soft drinks pop where i come from too, however !

I did ponder over the term 3 way chili when I first saw it... i will admit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 11:15 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplelady View Post
That is what i thought it stood for, but hey, it is a differnt country so I verify ! We call soft drinks pop where i come from too, however !

I did ponder over the term 3 way chili when I first saw it... i will admit.
And of course there are always the 4 way and the 5 way. With the addition of hot peppers making it a 6 way it must really be confusing.

But come to think about it, since the oyster crackers were always included why have they not been included in the ways?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:23 AM

294 posts, read 406,087 times
Default Chili

This whole chili thing confounds me. How did it become the official dish of Cincy ?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:28 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,013 times
Wow, now you've done it. My mouth is watering. The hot pepper mention put me over the edge. I might have to make some chili today!!!

Old 02-23-2013, 11:54 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
And of course there are always the 4 way and the 5 way. With the addition of hot peppers making it a 6 way it must really be confusing.
The only place I know of that does the 6 way is Blue Ash. And those fried jalapeños are the bomb.

I am sure there are others.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplelady View Post
This whole chili thing confounds me. How did it become the official dish of Cincy ?
The greek immigrants who came here brought it with them. It should rightfully be called a spicy meat sauce, not a traditional chili. But us Cincinnatians will fight to the death to be able to call it a chili. One of the most significant things it possesses is staying power. If you keep it on low heat you can maintain it in a serving condition forever. A little stir and it is ready to go.

It is a great sustained dish, with a low cost maintenance situation. You open up a cheap store, maintain a hot water serving table with basically the chili and the spaghetti (never served al-dente). Keep some grated cheese in the refrigerator plus some diced onions and what else do you have to do? And the small sausages called coneys, which are fully cooked to begin with, can also be maintained in a third hot water bath for a prolonged period of time. The fourth hot water batch is to maintain the beans at a serving temperature. So how much so you think these 4 hot water baths are going to cost you, maintaining product for hours even days. Your biggest problem may be the coney buns will go stale before you sell them.

Some of the serving condiments I just don't know. Who came up with the idea of a side of oyster crackers? They do soak up the watery chili mix very well, and I always include them with my homemade variety. And who came up with the idea of sprinkling hot pepper sauce on the concoction? Whoever they were I commend them.

My estimation is: 1) Low cost to start. 2) People just liked it any time of the day. 3) At 2 AM in the morning beats a heavy hamburger every way from Sunday.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:08 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,013 times
In the recent Boston Globe article, it mentioned that somewhere does a 6-way with chopped garlic. I knew about Blue Ash's jalapeños, but never heard of garlic. But the article also said this, which is wrong:
Quote:
Skyline, whose Greek founders created the local dish in the 1940s and turned it into franchise gold, holds its recipe closely, but ingredients include cinnamon, cloves, and perhaps chocolate, along with ground beef and tomatoes.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle...0vL/story.html

1940's is wrong, Skyline inventing it is wrong, and chocolate is definitely not an ingredient!

Old 02-23-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
In the recent Boston Globe article, it mentioned that somewhere does a 6-way with chopped garlic. I knew about Blue Ash's jalapeños, but never heard of garlic. But the article also said this, which is wrong: Any way you order it, Cincinnati chili is tops - Food & dining - The Boston Globe

1940's is wrong, Skyline inventing it is wrong, and chocolate is definitely not an ingredient!
Obviously Skyline inventing it is wrong, since Empress started back in 1922. But you may find that cocoa butter actually is an ingredient.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:49 PM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
chocolate is definitely not an ingredient!
Cocoa (not chocolate) is quite common in Cincinnati chili; I don't consider it an authentic recipe without it.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:19 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,880,841 times
And, of course, Cincinnati's weather is: chili today, hot tamale...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati